Carpet Retailers: people trying to poach mine

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
I have seen some wolves festering around my carpet retailers and trying to steal my business. So I decided to start a group to stop this.
I am going to call it the lone polar bear club and I have my first pictures of stopping them in action

1s1.jpg

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
actually the guy from Abbey Floors told him he could have all the business and called me to have a good laugh

G

If you are doing right by them then you should not have to worry,if you are doing right by them and they still used someone else,you dont need that kind of customer.

Do you guys do any referral plans for carpet retailers? I was thinking ten percent of each job right off the top would be great incentive for them to refer me? Do you guys have a program that works well for you guys?

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
They seem to be happy with great work that they don't have to worry about complaints

CleanEvo

Sticky said:
Do you guys do any referral plans for carpet retailers? I was thinking ten percent of each job right off the top would be great incentive for them to refer me? Do you guys have a program that works well for you guys?

My personal opinion on that is, I don't believe in giving refering customers cash or discounts on further cleanings. It's all about building a relationship that makes them want to refer customers to you; because you will make them look good by doing so, you're a professional. I think you're better off finding a few of those than a whole pile that you have to worry about "paying", administratively it's a P.I.T.A.

You will have more loyalty finding a few of those. Sure, clean something for free once in a while for these people (if they're giving you enough to justify it), bring them some treats or a bottle of something once in while, lunch or golf... what ever. My point is that the relationship shouldn't just be about what they're going to get... I think those people will be more loyal. At least that's been my experience.

BRSUMMERVILLE

Some body is afraid of competition.

There's an old saying, "A good thing don't last forever".

You might want to talk to your carpet retailers, to see if they have any concerns.

Bob Rock

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Relationships, business or personal, begin to fail when one of the partners feels unappreciated.

Discounts and commissions are sometimes a part of business relationships, but never should they be the only thing, or even the primary thing, that holds them together.

Retailers and designers want:

No hassles with their customers
No calls about stains, soil, and possibly the suitability of what they sold or recommended
Repeat business with their client

They don't want:

To feel like they have to be a cleaning expert
To apologize for the type of carpet or fabric they sold or recommended

THEY REALLY DON'T WANT:

To apologize for a bad cleaning job
To apologize for an unreliable cleaner
To apologize for a rude cleaner
To apologize for any other embarrassment or inconvenience caused by such a cleaner.

They don't really need:

A commission. If they ask for something, its ok to work out something fair. But its rarely important to the best of these people. Think of the bookkeeping nightmare that lots of small checks can be for such people.

Mostly, they should feel:

Confident in you to keep your promises and not embarrass them

Appreciated enough by you that an appropriate gift is given or service is given from time to time. Such gifts are important even if a commission structure exists. Flowers, expensive chocolate, good liquor, etc all mean more to such people than a few dollars for every cleaning job.

With the bosses permission, pastries and good coffee are nice touches for supportive sales staff. But never make yourself a nuisance or an interuption of business. And always make any such gifts expression of thanks, not bribes.

Cameron1

Matt Murdock said:
I have seen some wolves festering around my carpet retailers and trying to steal my business. So I decided to start a group to stop this.
I am going to call it the lone polar bear club and I have my first pictures of stopping them in action

1s1.jpg

Are you related to that Bear, cause you kind of look like each other?

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Time to bring the doughnuts and pizza on a more regular basis.

-Or a better approach would be to develop referral sources throughout your entire community.

You can make relationships with almost any group in your area not just carpet dealers.

Then you'll receive work from all their members and there is likely to be no competition.

It's really simple if you know how.

I just got 2 appointments already this morning this way.

It didn't cost a dime any effort or time at all.

Call or E-mail me and I'll share how you can do this.

G

Jim Pemberton said:
Relationships, business or personal, begin to fail when one of the partners feels unappreciated.

Discounts and commissions are sometimes a part of business relationships, but never should they be the only thing, or even the primary thing, that holds them together.

Retailers and designers want:

No hassles with their customers
No calls about stains, soil, and possibly the suitability of what they sold or recommended
Repeat business with their client

They don't want:

To feel like they have to be a cleaning expert
To apologize for the type of carpet or fabric they sold or recommended

THEY REALLY DON'T WANT:

To apologize for a bad cleaning job
To apologize for an unreliable cleaner
To apologize for a rude cleaner
To apologize for any other embarrassment or inconvenience caused by such a cleaner.

They don't really need:

A commission. If they ask for something, its ok to work out something fair. But its rarely important to the best of these people. Think of the bookkeeping nightmare that lots of small checks can be for such people.

Mostly, they should feel:

Confident in you to keep your promises and not embarrass them

Appreciated enough by you that an appropriate gift is given or service is given from time to time. Such gifts are important even if a commission structure exists. Flowers, expensive chocolate, good liquor, etc all mean more to such people than a few dollars for every cleaning job.

With the bosses permission, pastries and good coffee are nice touches for supportive sales staff. But never make yourself a nuisance or an interuption of business. And always make any such gifts expression of thanks, not bribes.
Hey Jim,that 2nd one on "they dont want" is a catch 22,cause if he sold them a fiber that we all know will distort or show wear quickly,what is the ethical thing to do?

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley

I always find this very tacky. Some may do stuff like this but I don't. I have in the past but after realizing what an idiot I looked like I decided it was better to build friendships with the guys I do work with.

I never let them down and if they need something I will come as quick as possible and they do the same for me.

When they call and make fun of the guy who brought donuts and wants to be refered and then are hooking up with me for a couple drinks Tuesday night at the elks I think I am all set

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I understand Kevin

The carpet store needs someone who can get olefin and polyester clean, and the furniture store/designer needs someone who can clean rayon and silk.

When you can take care of those materials, you save them time and trouble and help them to preserve a relationship.

Where diplomacy comes in is not lecturing their customer as to the unsuitability of some of the choices the retailer or their representative may have recommended, especially if the material has been abused by the time you get called.

The cleaners who have the personality style that makes for a careful, analytical, cleaning genius usually tend to lack in the tact and sales department. The cleaners with the gift of gab and the ability to keep both sides happy are not always the most thorough when it comes to steps and procedures. The cleaners who are both are those who have both mastered cleaning skills as well as their own personality strengths and weaknesses.

Is that tightwire an easy one to walk? No.

That's why many cleaners try to develop these relationships, but few maintain them well for years.

WISE

Find a caterer....trade out cleaning their offices, homes, whatever for catering.

Cater a nice lunch for them every so often and they will feel appreciated.

The HP cash and discount crap don't fly with retailers. They want good work, dependable and honest people to refer. The last thing they want is their staff bickering over whose customer it was that was referred and who gets the spiff.

Of course,
JMO
WISE

CleanEvo

Dave Yoakum said:

Fromage (that's Canadian for cheese), that's what that is... cheesy.

Have a little class, bring them something special, seperate yourself from the herd.

-JB-

Name
JB
I always find this very tacky. Some may do stuff like this but I don't. I have in the past but after realizing what an idiot I looked like I decided it was better to build friendships with the guys I do work with.

That's THE way to do it.

Have a little class, bring them something special, separate yourself from the herd.

Give from the heart, you got a favorite donuts shop? Why not go there and get the donuts? Not just a quick stop to the closest shop....NEVER disappoint them.

Once I took in one of my favorite lunchtime treats into to my best referral source, "bagel dogs", it's a hot dog wrapped up in a bagel...there AWESOME!
Sure they looked at me funny at first, then as they sat there chowing down on them it didn't seem so odd to them. They understood why I brought them in, and they really appreciated it. Admittedly, it may not have been the classiest treat of all times, but they knew I cared about them and I wanted them to enjoy it.

Spurling

Hey JB .. those bagel dogs from Titus plaza are the best with mozz cheese inside .. best to get them around 10am .. I dont think they make more after that .. any laying around absorbs the cheese as the day goes on.. I have even mde my own ..

Hey Stinky .. I mean Sticky .. stay away from my stores .. haha

Warren Wallace

Supportive Member
I give my carpet stores free spot cleaners that they can give to there customers.
Jon-don makes the custom labels it has my name web site and a 10.00 coupon
on the bottle, plus when they need a favor i'm there.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom