Carpet Shedding

Goldenboy

Name
Mike Waldron
My customers I cleaned at today says everytime she vacuums she gets a ton of carpet fiber in her dirt cup. She wanted to see my vaccum cup when I was done vacuuming. 3 bedrooms, hall,staircase,office and great room. My Sanitaire cup was full and the whole top of the bag was full of carpet fiber. She has had the carpet for five years. The carpet seems to be a California berber. Is this normal? Could someone post a pic of California berber? I never pre-scrub what I think is California berber. But I dont know what it looks like.

Golden Boy

Chads

Supportive Member
sounds a little fishy to me, ask her where she bought the carpet from.

John Watson

Hey there TGWPH, Is what they are claming a California Berber a cut or loop pile??? a cut pile staple sheds and sheds. Staple fibers will shed forever they are 3 to 6 inches long. Wool is a staple, some syn fibers they really try and bulk them up to make the yarn appear bigger than it really is. Most syn use BCF and don't have a shedding problem.

A quick way to see if possibly a defective carpet due to poor encapsulation or bundle wrap is to take a piece of velcro (hook side) and lightly touch it to the face and see if alot of fibers pull up with it.

As an inspector I have a special 3 lb velcro roller just for that (Very flippen expensive) you can buy a roller and velcro at a craft store and make your own

John Watson

Sorry there PHead, I myself am not familier with the term "California Berber"

Thats why I asked you if it was a cut or looped pile??? You just cleaned it, You touched the fibers. There is some mills that have what they call berbers both cut and loooped pile. They base it on the color. Most, not all, staple fibers are cut pile, More expensive carpets like wool will use the staple fiber to make loop piles but not always either. Maybe Tooney could splain it better and he probblygot pictures too, (and knows how to post them)

Don M

We installed a carpet last year. Plush cut pile. Customer called and said it is shedding. Called the mill and they said if it sheds for more then a year we will inspect it , not before a year was up.

leesenter

California berbers are cut piles.
Carpet mills do not recognize velcro testing on cut piles.
Most of the mills I deal with will not even consider a claim on a carpet that sheds if the carpet was not vacuumed at least twice a week with a beater bar for the first six months after installation. Mohawk will say nine months on a thicker carpet.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
Being a retailer and having both BCF and Staple Yarns in the store, the Staple yarn will tend to shed more.. However.. The worst shedding carpet I've come accross was a Staple Olefin CutPile.. They put that crap in my first Apartment.. I didn't wonder why his estimate was $300.00 less that mine. I did wonder why the apartment complex was paying only that much less compared to the nylon BCF I was quoting them on. That carpet was slicker than ice, it actuelly destroyed a $54.00 Bissel because it clogged it soo bad, and I couldn't afford to use our bagged Eurka Sanitaire because it would fill the bag with fiber before I could finish gettign the dry soil. It would take me up to 3 bags each time I vacuumed. And this was consistant for a year and vacuumed about 2-3 times a month. I don't want to know how much fiber I removed. But I was glad to move out of there.

breezeman

A Cal Berber is a med to long cut pile with thin and thick cable yarns.If it is a staple it should only shed for about 6 months after that it becomes manufacture related, but the mill has to be notified before a year or they will not honor the claim. Pull a tuft out and look under a magnifying glass to see if the bundle wrap has encapulated more than 80% of the tuft. What type of vaccume does she have? What height setting does she have it on. To my understanding all wool carpets are staple spun so they can bulk up the yarn.

Deron

Name
I'm Rick James
We bought a 8x10 thick shag wool rug and I have never seen anything shed like that before. I vacuumed, cleaned and raked and the thing shed so bad for so long that we couldnt use it anymore. Its in the garage now.

Anyone wanna by a nearly new 8x10 wool rug?

breezeman

Hey Brent,
Was this rug from a so called barn store , they been known to sell dead wool rugs.

Name
I'm Rick James
breezeman said:
Hey Brent,
Was this rug from a so called barn store , they been known to sell dead wool rugs.

Honestly I dont know where she bought it, she got it from a online store selling it as clearence. I can see why now.

John Watson

Just a point of humor. The reason all wool fibers are staple is the sheep do not grow the wool thaaat Faast to be hooked to a creel and have Continuies filiments like synt. :lol: :lol: :twisted:

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
Ok Watson get on the wool gowth stimulant... :) Yeah why do you think they make synthetics into staple yarn.. they are trying to imitate a wool carpet. Nylon, Poly, and olefin all start out as a BCF.. Same spinneret and everything.. They just choose to to cut and bundle some of it because some manufactures prefer the properties of s staple yarn.

harryhides

Name
Tony
Staple yarn is crap imo. It will shed for yrs especially if the latex is defective or there is not enough.
If you can easily pull yarns out then that is likely the problem and your customer needs to file a claim

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
I never said I liked it.. I don't like the fuzz when I'm cleaning it in my filter,, I don't like the fuzzing when we vacuum it.. It fuzzes when seeming and installing, and its makes the most beautiful mess when trimming it for surging or binding. But I can stand and understand and expect it from our wools.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom