Cat 3 questions help..

Name
John
Had a basement flooded.. Customer was gone for a week so it's unknown how long it's been wet. Removed carpet and pad.. Questions... I water clawed for extraction, so would u charge for weight assisted extraction or just cat 3 extraction? Does adjuster complain about extraction if they are already paying for carpet and pad removal?? Walls were only had moisture about an inch high so instead of cutting only an inch out we decided to drowned everything with anti microbial and just dry the walls??

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We we charge the weighted if we did it. Yes they will likely complain and you should argue back that it needed to be done to lighten the weight for removal. Carting out wet pad and carpet is a real chore especially from a basement.

If they were interior walls that might work, if you felt there was little affected.

However if they are exterior walls with insulation that could soak up contaminated water (especially when sitting for extended periods of time) I'd recommend removal and pressure washing the cavity out thoroughly, applying a biocide and drying.

If you are going to leave potentially contaminated drywall, don't do it on your own accord. Be sure to engage the homeowner and the insurance representative in the decision making process. No reason put put yourself out there on a limb liability wise.

Last edited by a moderator:

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
i DISAGREE. tHE WALLS SHOULD HAVE BEEN CUT. iF YOU DEEM IT cATEGORY 3 IT'S not THE ADJUSTERS CALL. tHE STANDARDS BACK YOU UP 100%
SORRY FOR THE CAPS

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Yea but Greg its the homeowners house.

Even though there are standards for processing Cat 3 its the homeowner decision what should be done. Saying that, I would protect myself if they chose to do something contrary to the standard but I'm not the IICRC Police either so as long as I do my due diligence then I'm reasonably comfortable doing what the homeowner wants.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
We are not a construction company and as such I have to agree with Chavez.

No need to alienate the homeowner if at all possible.

NOW WITH THAT SAID, YOU BETTER MAKE SURE THE WALLS ARENT WET AND THAT THERE IS NO INSULATATION WET OR YOU WILL HAVE TROUBLE.

If unsure call in a hygienist and get a protocol written up and just follow, dot your i's and cross your t's

Reactions: Desk Jockey
Name
Lee Stockwell
New drywall is relatively cheap. With permission we've zipped out the lower 48" all around the affected wall, even if only wet a foot or so. The reduced replacement labor more than makes up for the lost material.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Most homeowners acknowledge our concern and allow removal. Some I think feel it devalues the home when you start making cuts and won't allow us. Its in those cases you must document the situation very well, making all steps necessary to protect yourself and then get a signature.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom