Cat odor on hardwood?

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
I got a call today about a rental home going up for sale. The home is 90% old hardwood. The tenant apparently had a Tom that sprayed. I am going tomorrow to take a look and see how bad it is. I know that cats tend to mostly spray along the baseboard so I may need to treat the walls as well. I wanted to get some different opinions on cleaning.
My instinct is to clean with peroxide (or bleach?) and if need seal and paint the walls possibly sell them on refinishing the floors if practical.

Would polyurethane floor finish work as well as acrylic for sealing in odors?

How would you attack this?

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
so is it on hardwood and carpet both? I used kills with some luck before. That would be pretty nice if it was on hard wood to just blast it with some 40vol

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
depends what finish is on the floors now, I reckon .
(and what condition the finish is in)

have you seen them yet?

if there's no staining or obvious areas like you'd see on unfinished sub floors, they're likely already sealed and the cat stank is in the grooves and under the base board

go see how bad it is

..L.T.A.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Well I took a look today. It’s a large 150 year+ old Victorian house. It’s apprised by the county for $275,850.00 . Every wall is piss soaked 2 feet up. Higher where the cats had something to climb up on. The walls are plaster. My estimate was to clean, seal paint and or apply finish to match only the affected areas. They bocked at my estimate of just under $1000.00.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
shellac is a great product for sealing odors in, dries fast and takes almost any topcoat.

gene

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
ACE said:
Can shellac be applied over polyurethane?

I "think" it can.

we've used the clear Zinsser shellac base sealer and it seems I recall reading the label that said it was compatible with all finishes.

but read the label first to be sure.
Home Depot sells Zinsser clear

..L.T.A.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom