CAT Pump drain valve installed

Giorgio

Name
Giorgio
Here's the tube and valve i permanently installed on the cat pump to make for quick oil changes.

Now, i don't spill a single drop when changing the oil.

(sorry, i was bored and couldn't think of anything else to post). !gotcha!

IMAG0171.jpg

IMAG0170.jpg

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
George;

Good job on the drain valve.

I am concerned that the weight on the fitting at the pump might be too great,
under vibration for hundreds of hours.

I would shorten it a few inches.

Keep a close eye on it for leaks.

Larry

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
I'm with Larry. Shorten it up to the valve and just use the extension when you need to drain it.
I would also install a pipe plug after the drain valve. You never know if it will open due to vibration.

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
George,

What if that ball valve fails, and you lose your oil while cleaning?

I would not trust that setup, unless you put a plug into the end of the drain threads when not draing the oil.

Also shorten it as Larry suggested, as that vibrating weight over time can crack the pipe.

It's really no trouble to loosen the bolt and drain it into a transmission funnel and into a jug, as seldom as it has to be done.

Giorgio

Name
Giorgio
all good advice.

Thank you!!!

Last time I changed the oil i was in a rush so i pieced it together.

I really do need to fix it proper.

Jimbo

I would safety wire the valve...drill a little hole through the valve handle ...and wire it closed...Ditto what Larry said...why not put a quick connect on the pump side...and the mating one on the oil drain hose...and relieve the weight and potential breakability of the long nipple you have on it now...Just a suggestion.- Jim

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
something might fall on it and break or crack it. i think you should change it to a flexible line.
Ah heck, just put it back the way it was. :lol:
gene

steve g

Name
steve garrett
be careful about adding something cute like that, seriously how often do you really need to change the oil in there?? a few years back I installed a pig tail hose so I could drain my blower oil easier. because on my machine the drain is in the back and when drained its just about impossible to keep from just having to drain it onto the machine, and then wipe it up. well after several years the swedged high pressure fitting failed and starting leaking blower oil, seeing as there is only about 6 oz of oil in there, its a darn good thing I happened to notice it.

Giorgio

Name
Giorgio
One of these days that pump will break and I'll have to scramble to get another one over nighted.

When that happens I'll post the pics so you can say "I told ya so". Grin

Besides, I forgot where I put the oil plug.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom