Cat pumps: expencive paper weights

AshleyMckendree

Supportive Member
Name
Ashley Mckendree
Read topic.

I went through my 4th Cat pump today in less than a year, that was just rebuilt 3 days ago, for the second time.

They pulsate like a mother, and flow like a portable. NEXT

Supersucker

If you need an expensive paper weight, I have a Briggs & Stratton 23hp with only 200hrs I can send you.

Greenie

4 pumps in a year...that is nuts.

What exactly failed on the first, that made you buy the second.

Cat seems to have some lingering name recognition, so some TM Mfgs. keep them on their machines, but they are fading quickly, General is the pump to have.

AshleyMckendree

Supportive Member
Name
Ashley Mckendree
Greenie said:
4 pumps in a year...that is nuts.

What exactly failed on the first, that made you buy the second.

Cat seems to have some lingering name recognition, so some TM Mfgs. keep them on their machines, but they are fading quickly, General is the pump to have.

A Car wash place went out of business and I bought all of his New-Old stock witch consisted of 4 unused still in plastic pumps.
I paid maybe 300 for all of them plus a bunch of repair kits etc.

1st and 2nd pump the ceramic sleeves ( I guess thats what they are) cracked and destroyed them selves.
3rd ones manifold cracked and looked like someone took a sledge hammer too it after it was done with its self.

Now the 4th one just spits the water out and wont exceed 100 psi.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
put a seal kit in the last one..from the way it sounds ..all the ones you bought may of sat on a shelf for a long time and all the seals dried out.....

Mr.V

I llike generals as well,,,,,,plus they're cheaper to buy and rebuild than a Cat

never was all that sure what the big deal about cat was

last General I had I put about 4000 trouble free hours on it

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
Just turned 5000 hours with my Cat punp on the WM with no troubles, and I often run very hot water recirculated through my HX back into the holding tank. Normally Cat pumps are VERY reliable. Something is odd with the batch you had.

glenboy

Name
GLEN
im with bob well not really but wanner hydra cell mine is 20 yrs old and it runs great i could not buy a better pump :D

AshleyMckendree

Supportive Member
Name
Ashley Mckendree
[imgurl=:3v8s401l]http://www.hydra-cell.com/imgp/D-04.jpg[/imgurl:3v8s401l]

Is this a hydra cell you would use on a tm?

How much are those bad boys?

John Olson

Name
John Olson
I don't know anything about a Cat 430 but unless you A) run them out of water and keep running them or B) Run them without Oil or C) Freeze them the industry standard cat pumps run for freaking ever. Now the new Emperor Pumps from GP..These things are the BOMB at least right now they are we'll see when they start hitting 4k how they are holding up but I don't even stock seal kits for them as I doubt i'll need them in the next 3 years.

As for your problems whats the specs on the 430? Are you turning them to fast? Where is the water box? Is it up above gravity feeding the pump or do you have the box lower thern the pump expecting it to draw?

These would be good things to know to help figure out your problem.

Bob Foster

If it's still hooked up. Please post some pictures. I suspect bad routing or a flipped valve.

AshleyMckendree

Supportive Member
Name
Ashley Mckendree
Bob Foster said:
If it's still hooked up. Please post some pictures. I suspect bad routing or a flipped valve.

ill post pics tomorrow.

Its hooked up to a barrel, it stays full. Never ran it dry.

Walt

AshleyMckendree said:
Read topic.

I went through my 4th Cat pump today in less than a year, that was just rebuilt 3 days ago, for the second time.

They pulsate like a mother, and flow like a portable. NEXT

If your flow is that bad. Maybe some blockage? My cat flows like mad no problem dual wanding or powerwashing.

Then again, I only have 150 hours on it. :|

Able 1

Name
Keith
Mine has 2000 hours and no problem yet still running strong!

Name
Shawn Forsythe
AshleyMckendree said:
[imgurl=:167z4b0y]http://www.hydra-cell.com/imgp/D-04.jpg[/imgurl:167z4b0y]

Is this a hydra cell you would use on a tm?

How much are those bad boys?

Ashley,

Bob was speaking of one similar to this. The Wanner HydraCell D10 with stainless steel plates.
image-hydra-cell.jpg

As used standard equipment on Steam Genie units for about 14 years (1975-1989), and by special request after that. Not may people still remember that Steam Genie tired of waiting for them to build a D03, and therefore built a mini version of the D10, called the Cardic Pump that SG used for many years on the model 733 portable. Wanner later built the D04 (an inline diaphragm pump), which HydraMaster used on units like the Crossfire and the CDS. But it paled in comparison to the mighty D10, which is the best pump this industry ever saw.

The Wanner D10 in brass is pretty comparable in price to a typical plunger pump (under $800). However, the brass model is NOTHING in comparison to the all Stainless Model in function and longevity. But they are costly, somewhere north of $1800.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Ashley;

We have been using General pumps for many years.

We went to Teflon plunger seals for dry-run capability about 6 years ago.

General installed them as an option a few years ago, and has now brought out the Emperor series with reinforced Teflon seals and added hi-temp check valves.

It is the top choice carpet cleaning pump for TM's in our opinion.

Here's a PDF comparison between Cat & General (Page2):
http://www.generalpump.com/PDFs/SALES LITERATURE/HTCKComp-Brochure.pdf

Larry

AshleyMckendree

Supportive Member
Name
Ashley Mckendree
I have a general on the shelf I'm installing in my new 70hp turbo diesel slide-in unit dad and I are building.
I'll be glad to dismantle my Direct drive butler knock off when Its done :)

John: By my best estimate Its spinning around 1100 RPM, Maybe thats my problem...

Name
Steve Lawrence
Could there be an issue where incoming water to your pump is changing temperatures dramatically. Hot ceramic plungers suddenly getting cold will zap them.

I've had 3 cat pumps go over 5000 hours each with no issues.

STeve

John Olson

Name
John Olson
what size pulley? My first thought before I even pulled the specs was your turning it to fast. Your using the wrong pump you should be using a 290 or 5cp in your pto. Those are tried an true pumps in your application

John Watson

Hot Damn Shawn, You know and remember alot about these here pumps and other things too, Thanks.

The first one I saw was an a 74 SteamVac Shaft Drive. SteamVac was the predecessor of the HydraMaster CDS, in fact Mike Palmer worked there before he started HydraMaster.
I know for sure I have 1 D-10 brass with a rebuild kit,possibly another in one of the sheds.

These pumps were great, Keep oil in them they would run forever. Maxed out about 1200 lbs if I recall.

I was always going to make a cold water pressure washer out of one of mine..

lance

Shawn, does the D10 SS come with a clutch? The pump Larry sells is about 450 to 500 bucks. Why is a 1800+ so much better?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom