Cat urine in leather couch

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
Any way to eliminate or reduce cat urine odor in a leather couch?

Much obliged.

ps. Today is National Cat Day.

Last edited:

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Your degree of success will depend in a large part on the type of leather and the condition the leather is on.

Protected leather will not absorb animal urine unless it is very worn and has not had protector applied on a regular basis. Urine on the surface cleans off rather easily. Use Hydro-Force or Leathermaster Leather Cleaner. Urine may run off a surface and travel into small holes where pieces of leather are sewn together. It can also get below the leather in other ways. This may require taking apart some of the leather or injecting a bio-enzyme deodorizer (Bio-Modifier Extreme) or using a deodorizer like Vaportek that will reach into small openings and deodorize pretty well without requiring you to take the material apart and put it back together.

Aniline leather or very worn protected leather (which essentially becomes aniline leather) can be cleaned and improved, but may not be 100% corrected. Use wet foam from Hydro-Force or Leathermaster cleaner. Start at the center of the stain and work outward. You are removing some of the urine. You are also diluting and spreading the stain out evenly across the entire piece of material. Finish with a heavy mist of Hydrocide Extreme diluted with water.

Aniline leather will look darker until it is dry. But should look pretty good once drying is complete.

If you want a copy of my introduction to leather cleaning guide or a video on leather cleaning, send me an email and let me know. I even have some older leather class manuals I will send out until they are gone.
scottw@bridgewatercorp.net

Reactions: Johnny

Vivers

Supportive Member
Name
Bill
Good luck with that. I personally would never even go out for that but interested to see how you do. I wish you luck. Most people do not protect leather. Typically don even condition it I have found.

Reactions: Johnny

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Your degree of success will depend in a large part on the type of leather and the condition the leather is on.

Finish with a heavy mist of Hydrocide Extreme diluted with water.

Aniline leather will look darker until it is dry. But should look pretty good once drying is complete.

If you want a copy of my introduction to leather cleaning guide or a video on leather cleaning, send me an email and let me know. I even have some older leather class manuals I will send out until they are gone.
scottw@bridgewatercorp.net

Scott, I'm not familiar with Hydrocide Extreme.

Is this an acid based product that will neutralize the urine salts??

I wouldn't mind some of that info either if possible, thanks. :winky:

info@cairnsleathercare.com.au

Thanks.

Short 1 :yoda:

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Hydrocide Extreme is a concentrated odor eliminator. The chemistry is similar to Hydrocide, Dynacide, Odorcide, X-cide from various manufacturers. The encapsulating polymer that binds to the odor molecule is more concentrated than most competitors. Hydrocide has no fragrance but hydrocide Extreme has a mild floral fragrance that helps mask urine odors during the time the product is working to eliminate them.

So folks prefer no fragrance so they know for sure if an odor has been eliminated and not merely covered up. They should use Hydrocide. Others like something that makes the work space pleasant while they are working. For them I suggest Hydrocide Extreme.

Hydrocide Extreme (or any liquid) can permanently darken the appearance of nubuck because the fiber will mat down. Again, much the same as other liquids, aniline leather will look darker temporarily when Hydrocide or Hydrocide Extreme is applied, but will return to normal appearance once it is dry.

Reactions: GeeeAus and Shorty

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom