Cats stink!

Larry B

Name
Larry Burrell
What would be the best product to use on cat urine? We have a lady that dropped off a 8x10 area rug that just flat out stinks. It has been soaked with everything I could get from jon-don, scrubbed I dont know how many times, then scrubbed some more, extracted at least 3 times and everytime we dry it out it stinks.

I dont know what the deal is with this rug it might cost $100.00 new but the lady insist she can not get rid of it.

Any ideas on what to try on it to get the smell at least knocked down?

Rex Tyus

Larry B said:
What would be the best product to use on cat urine? We have a lady that dropped off a 8x10 area rug that just flat out stinks. It has been soaked with everything I could get from jon-don, scrubbed I dont know how many times, then scrubbed some more, extracted at least 3 times and everytime we dry it out it stinks.

I dont know what the deal is with this rug it might cost $100.00 new but the lady insist she can not get rid of it.

Any ideas on what to try on it to get the smell at least knocked down?

Yea, go to lowes buy a new one and charge her $175. :twisted:

Name
I'm Rick James
I like Bac Out from BioKleen. I also like gas from my local Shell and matches from Wal-Mart, could do the trick...

Name
I'm Rick James
If we are trying to save money we can go with Arco's gas. Of course you would have to pay cash because there debit machine charges .45 cents every transaction. You could also pick up 2 corn dogs for .99 cents and free ketchup.

TimP

You're going to have to soak it with something like quat a lot, or a bio modifier or something of that sort (like stated above). Let it dwell for a prolonged period of time. The key is to get the deodorizer on every part of it. Although like stated above, sometimes the replacement cost is low enough compared to the treatment cost to treat it. I'd say 8x10 80 ft at 2.50-3.50 that's like 200-280 bucks at the going rate....especially with no guarantees if it's really bad.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
i ain't no "rug guy", but if it's just a common 100% olefin rug, why not immerse and soak it in sanitizing/deo solution over night?
Use a cheap kids swimming pool if you don't have a wash pit.
Just make sure you get it out of your neighbor kids pool before he wakes up :lol:

..L.Y.A.

kmdineen

Name
Kevin Dineen
Take 50' of 2" vacuum hose and place it around the rug. Remove the rug and place one sheet of 4 to 6 mill plastic over the vacuum hose. Place the rug over the plastic. Cover the rug with water, just enough to make sure it is wet all over. Add two gallons of Rug Restorer from Pro's Choice. Agitate and let sit for 24 hours or more. Rinse, rinse and rinse some more. Extract and clean. Speed dry.
This process has worked for me on some urine soaked rugs. However is not cost affective on most area rugs, certainly not a $100 rug. It is time consuming and there is a lot of water to dispose of. The Rug Restorer cost $37 per gallon and good 6 mill plastic cost about $60 for a 10' by 50' roll.
There are also other potential problems. Color run from the urine or cleaning process. Backing rippling or separating and distortion. The customer would have to agree the rug is already ruined and had no value before I would start. I would also have to charge a fee of at least a couple of hundred dollars to cover my cost regardless of the out come. If the rug is successfully restored I think a $500 minimum is reasonable due to the PIA factor. It is a tough sell and there are a lot easier ways to make $500 cleaning carpet.

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
i just had a rug that size that was also saturated with urine. i used bio modifier on it.

Steps i used:

Steam cleaned with bio break (dwell just long enough that it doesnt start to dry)
wet down with bio modifier
let air dry
steam cleaned again when completly dry
dried again

Worked really well, the bio modifier digests the odor. Hydrocide just removes the odor not the source of the odor.
i used about 2/3 of a gal of bio-modifier around $55 a gal i think.

last step if all else fails.
1 gal of kerosene and a special match $4, lighting it up in your neibors yard, Priceless

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
The Bottom Line from Jon don should have no problem with that rug but the key is to submerge it to get all of the extra urine salts and lipids out of the rug. you may even want to submerge it, add an acidic rinse like Jon Don's urine preconditioner. Rinse and then submerge again with and add one gallon of bottom line and then let dwell for about 8 hours. Before draining, clean the rug with your detergent of choice and then rinse and extract. Odor guarenteed to be gone.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Scrub it with some shampoo and hang it between two trees.
Use a pressure washer to hose it down.

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
Sometimes you just have to tell the customer NO.
It's not worth it. But you didn't so now the problem is yours to solve.

I always use Unsmokes Urinse Neutralizer which will break down and neutralize the urine salts to make them flush away easily followed by their enzyme product UN-DUZ-IT.
If the dilution ratios and directions are followed it takes care of it every time.

John Watson

Are you sure it is cat urine?? a lot of area rugs (Mainly from India) have bad laytex that smell that way and gets stronger as the rug gets older. They still stink no matter what you do..

Name
Tom McLaughlin
Could also put the area rug into a bath of Thornell's Odorcide 210 overnight, roll it out or use a WaterClaw to remove excess solution and dry it with turbo or downdraft fans.

GRHeacock

Larry- I think John Watson got it.

Particularly if it is a rug from India, Pakistan or Bangladesh.

There is no known fix for the bad latex- which smells like cat urine.

Gary

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom