CC respond with your infinite wisdom please respond

Larry B

Name
Larry Burrell
Ok so I think I missed the short bus a couple times but reading stuff on the boards has me wondering a couple things.

1. "use a 1.5" whip on a 2" wand".

What the hell would the point be in purchasing a 2" wand if your connecting it to a 1.5" whip and bottle-necking the airflow?

2. "Blower size dont matter because you can only get so much air in the hose"

What about the force behind the amount of air flowing through the hose. Do some of you really think a #3 blower is moving the air through a 2" hose at the same speed and force that a #5 will? If your hose is not collapsing from the suction it can handle more pressure.

3. (for ya green cleaners) "Chemicals are not as important as the heat"

I know the BS works with your customers but please do tell how you think water alone cleans as good as using an emulsifier? Please dont respond with your BS lies about your water temps at 280.

4. (For you padding nut bags) What the hell planet do you live on where grinding a carpet with a 100lb machine makes all the dirt magically jump up onto your little diaper? Does common since not tell you where the dirt is going? Do you go home and laugh after you get customers to believe this BS?

5. "If your not making $100 an hour your a hack"

Not everybody has the same marketing plan or for that matter wants to be the one truck wonder in town. The simple math is the $100 you want is not what you need and the guy running 3, 4, 5, or what ever trucks at rock bottom prices is still making more money than you crying all over the board about your $100+ per hour rate. 8) :lol:

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
. "Blower size dont matter because you can only get so much air in the hose"

What about the force behind the amount of air flowing through the hose.

you mean the "lift"?
a 45 blower set at 16 HG will have more "force" than 59 set at 14 hg

Do some of you really think a #3 blower is moving the air through a 2" hose at the same speed and force that a #5 will?

donno what the CFM specs are on a #3 blower .
So lets do it this way..
You can only physically draw so much air thru a 100ft of 2" tube at any set HG

I'm using arbitrary figures now.
Lets say the choke point of CFM is the wand slot opening .
at 15 hg only 275 CFM can physically be pulled thru it

if a #3 blower is capable of 275 CFM , it's pulling 275 thru the wand slot
If a 59 blower is capable 500 CFM, it's pulling 275 thru the wand slot too

it can't pull more (or faster) than can physically pulled thru the choke point, no??

If your hose is not collapsing from the suction it can handle more pressure.

The hose might handle more, but I reckon blower manufactures spec max RPM and lift limits for a reason ??

oh yea, and some waste tanks might implode at 20HG

naw'mean??

..l.T.A.

K P

Can you tell that Larry has a 45 blower? :roll: So this is his justification.I have had 10 different machines with a 36-59 and I can tell you in the real world there is a huge difference between a 45 blower at 100' and a 59.I think it something to do with wand technic :roll:

K P

Listen Larry,I can run 2 wands and have the same dry time as you.There are certain types of carpet you would quit on me even with a glide. shiteatinggrin We can also do tile as an example.Do you think I dont know these things?you are comparing your 45 with your 47?I can achieve that with a bump in rpm.A 45 is fine for single wanding,but if you are going to be spewing unknowns,then at least go over to *** and tell the newbs. :mrgreen:

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Don't bother because they go ga ga over a portable.

A couple of them play one string guitars and the newbs just go crazy over them.

:shock:

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Ruff Hewn said:
[quote="Kevin P":15h82twp]Can you tell that Larry has a 45 blower?

I do.
I had a 47 before that

I got $100 bukz that says your dry times are no better than mine !gotcha!

..L.T.A.[/quote:15h82twp]

I ll put a thousand on it! Let me know when you want to drive down.

A 59 at 15" at 2800 rpms is pulling 750 cfm. And I run mine at 16" 2600 rpm all day

I have a 20 hp 45 machine and it is not even close to the real world vac that the v has.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Larry B said:
Ok so I think I missed the short bus a couple times but reading stuff on the boards has me wondering a couple things.

1. "use a 1.5" whip on a 2" wand".

What the hell would the point be in purchasing a 2" wand if your connecting it to a 1.5" whip and bottle-necking the airflow?

2. "Blower size dont matter because you can only get so much air in the hose"

What about the force behind the amount of air flowing through the hose. Do some of you really think a #3 blower is moving the air through a 2" hose at the same speed and force that a #5 will? If your hose is not collapsing from the suction it can handle more pressure.

3. (for ya green cleaners) "Chemicals are not as important as the heat"

I know the BS works with your customers but please do tell how you think water alone cleans as good as using an emulsifier? Please dont respond with your BS lies about your water temps at 280.

4. (For you padding nut bags) What the hell planet do you live on where grinding a carpet with a 100lb machine makes all the dirt magically jump up onto your little diaper? Does common since not tell you where the dirt is going? Do you go home and laugh after you get customers to believe this BS?

5. "If your not making $100 an hour your a hack"

Not everybody has the same marketing plan or for that matter wants to be the one truck wonder in town. The simple math is the $100 you want is not what you need and the guy running 3, 4, 5, or what ever trucks at rock bottom prices is still making more money than you crying all over the board about your $100+ per hour rate. 8) :lol:

1. I haven't used a 1 1/2 in hose in 30 years on a wand. (The uphlostery tool uses a 1 1/4 in).

2. I had tried out a brand new super duper high end TM spinning a 4 something blower, and I had to check if there were any air leaks!! My 59 was a walk in the park in comparison.

3. Chems are important, but you better damn well have some heat and flow!

4. As for the padders, it is a legitimate tool for commercial amd maimtainence cleaning,m but not for rergular residentil.

5. $100 an hour is realisttic in a perfect setting, and not much travel ing. I regually bill at at least $100 an hour, but don't charge for the setup and tear down

We all have our ways......

idreadnought

Supportive Member
Name
Richard
$100 an hour? It depends on production. We regularly get that much per hour. Not average daily hours but hours on project.

A bigger blower helps this. Less drying strokes means faster production for the same amount of carpet. A big difference in blower size though is the speed in which it spins. most manufactures turn the blower at much less than it is capable of to increase heat. A blower turning at 3000 rpm will increase temperature rise exiting the blower by a significant amount over turning 3600 rpm.

I for one and probably alone on this think heat is overrated. I have cleaned with insane heat and moderate heat and haven't noticed enough difference to design a machine around the insane heat. I do power scrub every carpet we clean so that does affect our cleaning effectiveness.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
A big difference in blower size though is the speed in which it spins.

true
But it's really about it's capacity

whether it's a million CFM capacity or 1000 cfm capacity
you can only physically pull so much air thru 4 square inches at 14 or 16 or whatever lift HG setting .
4 sq inches is the opening on an average wand slot

Most med sized blowers that are plumbed right can pull all the air that can physically be pulled thru 4 sq in .
anything beyond the max that can be pulled thru that slot and X amount of hose is overkill and waste of capacity

They don't put 10 gpm pumps on TMs.
Know why?
cause you can only physically pump so much solution thru 100ft of 1/4" hose @ 5-6-700 psi

Physics would dictate the same applies to vac pumps , no??

..L.T.A.

K P

Sure...now lets all go get electric TMs.I tend to work in the "real" world,not the theoretical.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison

:roll:

K P

I know Larry,I was just goading you a little.There are more factors than what you suggest.Keep that hundred in a safe place though.. shiteatinggrin

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
Who the Hell!! would use a 2" wand connected to a 1.5" hose? Thats just fooking retarded. Admit it Larry, you just thought that up.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Doug Cox said:
Who the Hell!! would use a 2" wand connected to a 1.5" hose? Thats just fooking retarded. Admit it Larry, you just thought that up.

actually, i think KevinL mentioned that's how he rolls
i think it's in the "14 inch wand" thread

..L.T.A.

idreadnought

Supportive Member
Name
Richard
if capacity was as low as you say then answer me this. Why when I use a 47 blower does my wand pull more air the higher I raise the rpms. In theory as you say it would reach a certain rpm like 2600 and then the flow wouldn't change any more.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
idreadnought said:
if capacity was as low as you say then answer me this.

i didn't say what capacity was .
i said it's only possible to pull so much air thru 4 sq inches at any given lift

Most direct drive units under drive the blowers and don't run near their capacity.
(as you mentioned)
most large TMs run well below their blower capacity too

..l.T.A.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Lift is the suck at the carpet to wand interface, CFM is how fast the air is moving through the hose to recover the water.

Start your TM get it up to normal speed look at your vac gauge take note at what number its at. Add 100' of vacuum hose the needle will have went up, this is due to restriction. So say your machine runs at a 4 with no hoses attached, but attached a 7. You lost 3" of available lift. Now bigger blower units will lose less available lift as the amount hose increases because of their ability to pull more air faster to lessen restriction. Water in the hose also causes restriction and a loss in available lift. Increasing the CUBIC feet capacity of the hose(running 2.5) is another way to lessen restriction.

Keeping available lift at a maximum and lessening restriction is what you really want. The big blower guys tend to run high flow wands/tools because of their blower's ability to recover water faster preserving available lift. The smaller blower units take a bit more time to return to their max avail lift capacity.

Take a vortex set it at 15" of lift with a 100 ft of hose, do the same with a 47 blower unit. Stick the hoses in 55 gallon trash can full of water for 15 seconds. Pull the hoses both out at the same time, and look at which one regains its avail lift back faster. The "gurgle" test isn't very scientific, but the results are very noticeable.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom