Cell Phone Policy

Ron K

We don't have one. Our last employee became an Ombudsmen for the Navy and had a phone on her hip 24-7.
I know never at a clients house but what about other times when on the clock. Tech and Lead?
Shop..truck?

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
A multi-truck operation that I've worked with for many years has a "check your cell phone here" box and then the techs are issued company cell phones.

The had gotten too many complaints about their people texting constantly while on the job.

To be clear, they are a better than average operation, and have good guys working for them. Three of them told me they were relieved when the rule came out; it appears wives and girlfriends were insisting on constant contact.

Last edited:

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
From an employee's prospective - if you expect techs to use their personal phones to give courtesy calls and communicate with you during business hours or after for emergency calls they should get a stipend. Hard to require them to use a phone they pay for, for your business but then not allow them to use on down time like lunches or breaks. The fix to that is to provide a company phone for them and create a policy about no personal phone usage on the job and must be turned off or left in their personal vehicle except during lunch or breaks. If it is a company phone they're required to answer the phone whenever it rings. Just a part of the job description and requirements. Put it in your handbook/manual and just be consistent with it.

Reactions: Connor and Ron K

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
From an employee's prospective - if you expect techs to use their personal phones to give courtesy calls and communicate with you during business hours or after for emergency calls they should get a stipend. Hard to require them to use a phone they pay for, for your business but then not allow them to use on down time like lunches or breaks. The fix to that is to provide a company phone for them and create a policy about no personal phone usage on the job and must be turned off or left in their personal vehicle except during lunch or breaks. If it is a company phone they're required to answer the phone whenever it rings. Just a part of the job description and requirements. Put it in your handbook/manual and just be consistent with it.
I don't have a problem if someone receives a call and tells them he is working and will call them back at an appropriate time. I do have a problem when they start chatting when they should be working. Hired my stepson a couple of years ago and couldn't find him. He was hiding in a stairwell talking to his girlfriend. Not cool when he's supposed to be pulling hose.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
I don't have a problem if someone receives a call and tells them he is working and will call them back at an appropriate time. I do have a problem when they start chatting when they should be working. Hired my stepson a couple of years ago and couldn't find him. He was hiding in a stairwell talking to his girlfriend. Not cool when he's supposed to be pulling hose.

I was making a general response and more referring to some company policies I have seen and or heard about where companies expected employees to use their personal phones for work purposes without compensation and made it company policy that no personal conversations or communication was to be done during business hours even on lunch breakss. I would say that is an extreme example and policy.

I agree with you, they are there to work not socialize. That would have been on your time that you're paying him. There's excusing yourself for a quick 10-30 second conversation and then spending 10-15 minutes. I wouldn't tolerate the latter either myself.

Reactions: Cleanworks
S

snelling

Nothing wrong with giving your employees the freedom to look at their phones. As long as it isn't in front of customers or in excess when they have work to do.

At paper we try to give our employees as much freedom as possible... as long as they get their work done.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom