Cerakote? The future of Truckmount heat technology?

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
What I’am reading is its 30% cooler on the components and interior of the van!

"New Cerakote ceramic-coating lowers the heat radiation on all exhaust components by more than 30% to reduce component fatigue and extend your truckmount life—plus keep the van interior cooler!"

Big difference.

So where does the dirt......I mean heat........Where does the heat go?

It's only holding radiant heat in from the surface.

That additional heat is has to go somewhere.

Seems it's either out the exhaust, into the water, or back towards the engine manifold.

What about when there is no water moving?

Will the exhaust alone dissipate the additional heat with no flow?

If not, it's right back towards the engine and beyond.

Manifold and engine temps will tell the tale.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
"New Cerakote ceramic-coating lowers the heat radiation on all exhaust components by more than 30% to reduce component fatigue and extend your truckmount life—plus keep the van interior cooler!"

Big difference.

Seems it's either out the exhaust, into the water, or back towards the engine manifold.

And the 570 already pushes the water box temp relief

SamIam

Name
sam miller
I wonder if they are using the same relief valves they have always used for these units.

Are most of these relief valves similar, or can the temp range be varied?

Pretty sure they’ll have a pdf up you just gotta know what to look for!

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.

Big difference.

30% is a big difference. Did they show proof of the temperature between an older 570 and this model besides the video we watched?

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Back in our race days....the ceramic coated pipes in our Race sleds was so the pipe would hold in the heat...and heat up the pipe quicker at the starting line so your snowmobile could launch off the line faster with a hot pipe...and be able to burn the gasses faster in the pipe chamber.

We even had a sensor in the pipe so the computer could monitor and adjust...it did make quite a difference.

The Butler has a ceramic coated pipe coming off the Blower for the high heat units....somewhat to protect the Tiger Flex pipe from collapsing and melting (which I have seen done when guys try to make their own high heat Butler)

2018-07-06 07.51.31.jpg 2018-07-06 07.51.19.jpg

Sapphirerick

Name
Rick Aranda

Big difference.

I will confirm with Mike Roden and his team but I expect the heat to, as you stated, go into the water or directly out the front exhaust. It will take the path of least resistance and our heat exchange/water box design already acts as another layer of insulation. We can expect similar temp drop results.

It's unlikely to go back towards the exhaust manifold as we combine our engine and blower exhaust. The blower exhaust essentially pulls or assists the engine exhaust through the heat exchange chambers.

When no water is moving our diverter simply sends the exhaust directly out the front of the unit.

I expect the manifold off the engine will reach a top temp and stay there consistently whether you are using water or not. As stated earlier, the blower exhaust assists the engine exhaust.

Great questions!! I myself am still wrapping my mind around the benefits of Cerkote in relation to our units as well. I answered a couple of your questions. The Cerakote currently is being implemented on two units 370/570 but I suspect we will extend it's usage eventually.
I hope this helped!!!

Reactions: Nomad74
Name
Noble Carpet Cleaners
Well I call BS on the "at least" 30 degrees statement. Silica paints are nothing new and certainly not the beginning of a revolution in TM technology. If retaining heat and preventing corrosion was the goal then go back to the 1930's when higher end sedans had porcelain coated manifolds. Go to an old car show you'll see what I mean. You can practically touch the manifold at idle.

Get an infrared thermometer and see for yourself that coating exhaust system components with silica paints don't simple decrease the exterior temps by 30%, it's bs. And you're forgetting something about slide ins, they're not always free flowing. In fact they are never free flowing because of the varying flow of the vacuum portion. And when you mix exhaust gas with blower exhaust as many do, the variables of efficient exhaust gas removal are out the window. Silica paints in the world of aftermarket exhaust technology have dramatically reduced exterior corrosion and often increase exhaust gas removal by speeding things up, when the system is flowing freely. That's where the product excels. TM mfg's seem to always be reaching for ways to embellish things to keep or increase sales. For instance I see my 370 machine now has a carbon fiber hood and mood lighting. Never mind I've had to install 2 new cracked exhaust manifolds in less then 1000 hours because there's to much ******* and vibration between the engine and the collector.

Dennis Bruders

Supportive Member
Name
Dennis Bruders
Well I see that incorporating Cerakote has created a bit of chatter here, let me attempt to address some of the questions surrounding the product application.

First of all Legend Brands (Sapphire Scientific and Prochem) is constantly investigating engineering innovations that not only improve product cleaning performance but extend product life as well as improve user experience.

The popularity (AKA sales) of the 570 platform speak for themselves and while Legend Brands could sit back and enjoy the fact that Prochem and Sapphire truckmounts are the #1 choice of cleaning and restoration contractors we have chosen to invest in continuous improvement.

Regardless what truckmount you use heat is our friend and also our enemy. Newer engines run leaner and incorporate catalytic exhaust systems. We recognize that thermal radiant heat from exhaust not only can lead to degradation of truckmount components but also makes van interiors dang hot. With that in mind we searched for solutions to move the heat out of the truck and through the exhaust.

Our search lead us to the automotive and motorcycle aftermarket high performance industry. Cerakote, as the name implies is a ceramic coating that involves Cerakote material applied through a specialized process. Creakote is widely used in high performance engine applications to reduce thermal radiant heat from high temperature exhaust components and move the heat down the pipe and away from the vehicle. It is a proven product in both high performance vehicles and as noted the firearm industry. We view Cerakote as a additional engineering step in the evolution of truckmounts.

In regards to testing the use of thermal imaging and standard infrared thermometers is ineffective as the Cerakote is a reflective coating thus readings simply bounce back. In order to accurately test we directly placed thermal probes to the surface as well as in the air stream of a Creakote treated and a non treated stainless steel exhaust component. 1000 degree heated air was directed/blown thru the exhaust component for two hours and data was recorded on a data tracker. The results were a 30% reduction in radiant heat on the Cerakote treated exhaust part.

Since watching a 4 hour video of a data tracker would be a cure for insomnia we chose to do a more visual test for video demonstration. By simply heating a stainless steel tube, 1/2 treated with Cerakote the other half untreated the results speak for themselves. Simply put Cerakote does what it is intended to do, moves the heat out of the van.

Additionally the new Apex 570 incorporates new radiator that was specifically engineered by C&R Racing for Legend Brands. C&R manufactures radiators and cooling solutions used by top tier race teams. The new radiator incorporates extruded tube and race-fin configuration to provide engine cooling you can rely on in the most extreme heat conditions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
lovely

so how much was the reduction in temps to the thermometer ducK taped behind the dash panel?
and the one ducK taped to the fuel pump?
and the one ducK taped to the roof of the van above the TM ?

I have a positive view of your company and their products ...I'm NOT a hatter

but how bout some numbers that actually mean something if you're touting cooler running TMs and van interiors?

donno about the abilities of thermal imaging and infrared thermometers
But would be glad to send youinz some ducK tape and meAt thermometers for some practical temp readings all over the TM and van

..L.T.A.

Reactions: BIG WOOD
Name
Noble Carpet Cleaners
those numbers are back on the "tube" with the hot air running freely for 2 hours on a work bench......

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom