Ceramic Tile

Name
David Melo
Just trying to pick some brains and see if anyone has seen any picture framing when cleaning ceramic tile. This first happened to me last month. Customer wasn't concerned but I sure was. She was happy her floors were cleaned. I originally used acid but even switching to alkaline it still happened. Fast forward to today and this happened again at a different house. Thank God I only did a little area and the lady is old. So these were spanish ceramic wood plank tiles. I saw the box left over. Both customers had the same color and type of tile. I don't know if this is a moisture issue or what. Anyone see this yet? If not keep your eyes out. Seems to happen on tan wood plank looking tile.

20230406_101515.jpg 20230406_144706.jpg

Reactions: BIG WOOD
Name
David Melo
It's sanded. Grout came out awesome. I tried xylene and goo be gone. Didn't budge. This happened at two different hoa communities here in Florida. Two different builders but the tiles are ceramic from Spain. Don't know if this is a knew paradox or what.

Reactions: BIG WOOD
Name
David Melo
It's sanded. Grout came out awesome. I tried xylene and goo be gone. Didn't budge. This happened at two different hoa communities here in Florida. Two different builders but the tiles are ceramic from Spain. Don't know if this is a knew paradox or what.

FredC

Village Idiot
The best you can hope for is that it lessens when completely dry. I don't think you are going to "fix" it..............or prevent it in the future. So next time I came across the tiles I'd probably pass

Name
David Melo
The best you can hope for is that it lessens when completely dry. I don't think you are going to "fix" it..............or prevent it in the future. So next time I came across the tiles I'd probably pass
I will of they are this color. I've cleaned thousands of floors with no issues. I don't know if I'm coming across something new that hasn't been discovered yet. I've cleaned the gray style of these with no problems.

FredC

Village Idiot
I will of they are this color. I've cleaned thousands of floors with no issues. I don't know if I'm coming across something new that hasn't been discovered yet. I've cleaned the gray style of these with no problems.

No problems or just not visible because of the grey color?

What process/equipment did you use?

It's definitely a moisture issue/picture framing

Name
David Melo
No problems or just not visible because of the grey color?

What process/equipment did you use?

It's definitely a moisture issue/picture framing
No problems with gray as of yet. This is the only color so far that I've seen. I usually pre spray floor with acid or alkaline,scrub floors with scrubber and grout brush, then clean with tile spinner at 1000psi. I don't use heat when I clean. Today was a small bathroom just scrubbed with grout brush and cleaned at 500 psi with alkaline.

I'm going to look to see if I can get my hands on some of these colored tiles and see if it's caused by either acid or alkaline or just moisture. The first lady that this happened to never let me know. She was happy even though her floor had this issue. This lady is in her 80s and she didn't notice. Is a 4 x4 size bathroom.

Reactions: BIG WOOD and FredC
Name
David Melo
The client today was the only one that had spare tile. I always inspect floors but there is no way of knowing if these floors will have this issue until it happens. We can always test in an inconspicuous area. This is the second time for me with these particular colored ceramic floors. I'm going to see if I can buy some to test. In both of these cases these were Spanish ceramics.

Mike J

Name
Mike Joannides
I passed on this yesterday. This is one is one Month old. Porcelain. Those grout lines look like trouble. 3 small bathrooms I figured I would wait till after the multi surface course to have a confident plan of attack.
Lady was cool with late October.

This pic is one month old. Does grout need to cure still?

IMG_6960.jpeg

This next pic is one I passed on cleaning. It is a year old. You may be able to scroll in and see the marks that spooked me.

IMG_6958.jpeg

Mikey P

Administrator
I passed on this yesterday. This is one is one Month old. Porcelain. Those grout lines look like trouble. 3 small bathrooms I figured I would wait till after the multi surface course to have a confident plan of attack.
Lady was cool with late October.

This pic is one month old. Does grout need to cure still?

View attachment 122676

This next pic is one I passed on cleaning. It is a year old. You may be able to scroll in and see the marks that spooked me.

View attachment 122677
Likely just soiling from improper mopping but unsanded grout can sometimes end up splotchy like that from a variety of reasons.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom