CGD problems....

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
a local cleaner asked for help on this one.
He Cimexed it. Spots wicked back.
I HWE'd it and he post encapped it. Spots wicked back.
IMG_3940.JPG

This is after he cimexed it.
IMG_3941.JPG

This is after I HWE'd it and he post encapped it. Two days later.
Same exact spots.
Any suggestions? Besides gas and a match.
Would getting it dry with an airpath before encamping it help?

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Rick Gelinas has a specific protocol for this.

That "protocol" is not going to work. It never has. Basically he just says to encap around it and only get moisture from around the spot with nearly dry pads, onto the spot. That is just another way of saying "polish the fabric with dry hog hair to scrape off the soil". Eventually it returns. I tried it many times and until you remove the cause of wicking, it will return. Rick's trick only helps to return later.

Try to get the contamination out of the fabric and you'll have a better chance keeping it cleaner, longer. Yes, speed drying might help but if it's not cleaned out by extraction/absorption, it will undoubtedly resurface.

Reactions: Rick J

encapman

Name
Rick Gelinas
Zee it does work. Absolutely! And the spots don't come back. Ever.
Just make sure you follow the directions "to the letter"...
http://www.excellent-supply.com/Fixing-Their-Spill-Stain-Pain_b_24.html

And make sure you're using a good quality encap product that actually crystallizes.
If the detergent doesn't crystallize, it won't capture the sticky residue of a recurring spill stain.
There are too many wannabe encap products with inadequate polymer content. :hopeless:

Last edited:
Reactions: hogjowl

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Zee it does work. Absolutely! And the spots don't come back. Ever.
Just make sure you follow the directions "to the letter"...
http://www.excellent-supply.com/Fixing-Their-Spill-Stain-Pain_b_24.html

And make sure you're using a good quality encap product that actually crystallizes.
If the detergent doesn't crystallize, it won't capture the sticky residue of a recurring spill stain.
There are too many wannabe encap products with inadequate polymer content. :hopeless:

Releasit ds2...does that count? :lol:

I tried many times....eventually spots were coming back.

hogjowl

Idiot™
I've used Releasit and Vacaway's products. Both work fine, and I've had success removing cola stains and such. Don't recall but maybe a couple that wicked. You have to be seriously conscious of how much solution you're putting down. The Cimex puts a LOT down if you hold the trigger.

Reactions: encapman

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
I'm not saying all spots return... But there are some that no matter how I tried -would return. Mostly water stains though. The sugary drinks are easy...

Millions of square feet with Cimex, Orbot, RVxl/pad driver all known types of pads with them.

Reactions: Mikey P

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Water stains will always return unless you treat them. Most of the time a browning treatment will work. You can add a little bit of neutral detergent for lubrication and buff with cotton pad. Otherwise, treat with a peroxide solution. Cgd doesn't hold a lot of moisture so if you are getting spots returning, either you are not flushing/drying enough or you are not using the right products for those stains. It doesn't help when you don't know what the stains are in the first place. I it is an oily stain, try some volatile solvent in a spray bottle and extract. Not all stains can be removed sometimes

encapman

Name
Rick Gelinas
Another trick for water stains is to do the spill stain treatment outlined above (using Encap-HydrOx).
Encap-HydrOx contains a potent hydrogen peroxide formula in an acid base. It does a good job correcting water stains.

Reactions: Cleanworks

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Those don't look like water stains. They look like spilled soda drinks or something like that. If there's still some sticky residue left over, that means you're not able to get the right amount of suction to flush it out correctly with a wand. It might be wise to get on each spot with an upholstery tool to make sure it's barely wet when you leave.

steve_64

My guess is the spots are wicking up from the concrete. Either treat area heavily to neutralize what's still in the concrete or seal the clean carpet with solvent protector immediately after cleaning and speed dry.

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
One of our supervisors spilled a full can of soda as he walked into the office. 2×1 foot blob.

Encap'd per Rick's instructions using Releasit. I was pissed, of all places, two steps back and its tile. I figured we would have a recurring soda spot.

Never saw it again. The was 6 years ago.
Those spots if treated correctly will not come back.

Reactions: encapman

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
One of our supervisors spilled a full can of soda as he walked into the office. 2×1 foot blob.

Encap'd per Rick's instructions using Releasit. I was pissed, of all places, two steps back and its tile. I figured we would have a recurring soda spot.

Never saw it again. The was 6 years ago.
Those spots if treated correctly will not come back.
Shit never happens on tile if carpet is nearby. I used to have a cat. When he'd start hacking up a hairball, he'd run into the bedroom to throw up on the carpet, just across the threshold of the laminate

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
Unless you want to try to be Superman and gamble on going after all the spill residue within and under the padding, better to leave what is underneath alone and PAD-cap it with a light mist of encap and an ABSORBENT Microfiber or cotton pad and speed dry it.

The mechanics of wicking requires a certain amount of moisture down deep to bring spills back up to the top during drying, so just limit your moisture to just enough to buff off the top, and not let any get too deep to activate anything underneath.

steve_64

Unless you want to try to be Superman and gamble on going after all the spill residue within and under the padding, better to leave what is underneath alone and PAD-cap it with a light mist of encap and an ABSORBENT Microfiber or cotton pad and speed dry it.

The mechanics of wicking requires a certain amount of moisture down deep to bring spills back up to the top during drying, so just limit your moisture to just enough to buff off the top, and not let any get too deep to activate anything underneath.
When it's glued to concrete that doesn't work

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
No problem mist on a O2 scampoo and bonnet over the spots.

steve_64

What does not work?
Just cleaning the surface.

The concrete sweats causing wicking. No pad when glued to concrete. You have to seal the carpet or neutralize the tannins if that's what it is. Could be oil on the concrete too. Then sealing is the only option without replacing.

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
Just cleaning the surface.

The concrete sweats causing wicking. No pad when glued to concrete. You have to seal the carpet or neutralize the tannins if that's what it is. Could be oil on the concrete too. Then sealing is the only option without replacing.

I guess that could be the case, but the best test either way would be to limit your moisture and buff it off.

If it returns after that, it better supports a theory of another moisture source.

Without any input from Lyman's buddy, he's still suspect in my book because both times, he touched it last.

Don't take much to run a damp pad over it.

encapman

Name
Rick Gelinas
I agree with the Host suggestion. Absorbent powder is another way to solve a spill stain problem. Pack the spot with a good absorbent powder cleaner, then brush the spot. Adsorb Ultra works well for this.

Last edited:

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
We used to be able get a poultice powder years ago to absorb stains like that. Is there anything like that available besides Host or Capture?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom