CGD question

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
Has anyone ever seen this done before? This is a first for me.
I've cleaned this church twice now. Both times the carpet swelled. It went back down each time. The last time I cleaned it was march. Recently, in the last week it started to get ripples everywhere. They called me out to look at it. It appears that the glue is letting go. But when I looked at it closer, it was glued down to a pad. View attachment 2490

Is this something that the installer or retailer should be responsible for fixing?

Sent from my motorola flip phone using Crapatalk 1.1

Last edited:

Mikey P

Administrator
The up and down has nothing to do with the glue Charlie.

Just humidity causing the carpet to swell.

One or two out of a hundred do this and not even God can explain why.

but thank god, the carpet ALWAYS goes back down.

Last edited:

carpetcleaner

Name
Rob Litwin
Is your questions about the installation? It is called double glue down. The pad is glued down and than the carpet is glued to it. It is suppose to have the cushion and sound proofing of a tackless install with the durability of a glue down.

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
I've never seen it installed like this before. So I was wondering if this was a normal way of doing it.
Mike, it hasn't been cleaned since march and the swells went away. do you think the summer heat is causing it? Our humidity is low. I think yesterday was only 6%.

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Oh, it has been a while since it was cleaned and it just started swelling up on its own again, hmmm
Take it this place is Air Conditioned?

I was going in a Big Sqaure around a Medical Office onetime, when I looked up from wanding awhile the rug was waving at me, literally I pooed :shifty:
Finished up and it was still all really wavey, but could tell it was settling. Checked it on the way in the next morning when they opened and it was peachy. Next time I'll use a porty and cold water :D

Tell em to give it a couple weeks and call ya if it doesn't lay down. Buy a few syringes : )

Remember: Purple Power eats the glue dude.

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
Yes, it's been a while. They weren't trying to put this on me. They just want to know what to do to get rid of them. I couldn't imagine using a syringe on all those wrinkles. I'll have someone text me a picture and I'll post it.
Didn't use purple power, just good ol' power max.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
The humidity on the local weather report may not correspond to the moisture in the pad. Do what Richard suggest and poke around with a moisture probe. If it goes off, you need to get the moisture out of the carpet and likely out of the concrete under the cushion.

The double stick method is pretty common for larger commercial installs. When done properly, it works well. But almost any inspector will tell you that percentage-wise, there are far more problems with double stick glue down than direct glue down installations. There should be a different glue for adhering the cushion to the floor than for the carpet to the cushion. Using the same glue both places will eventually create this glue turning loose issue you are seeing.

Other installation issues could also come into play.

If the carpet has been down for more than a year, any warranty from the installer is likely past the date. Once In a while they may give a 2 or 3 year warranty, rare.

Vivers

Supportive Member
Name
Bill
If they have air conditioning have them run it and I bet you the carpet relaxes back down

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
O Next time I'll use a porty and cold water :D

wouldn't matter.
some buckle with minimal moisture pad/bonnet cleaning ....just a little pre-spray will do it
and some will buckle with no moisture applied at all ...just humid conditions.(rare, but happens)

..L.T.A.

Reactions: GCCLee

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
Air conditioner is always on.
They are going to check the crawl space for water. I'll head out there and check the pad for moisture when I get a chance. They might just replace it and have it installed with tackless. They have a lot of older people in that building and they dont want anyone tripping over wrinkles. Carpet was installed in 2008 so no warranty.
Thanks for all the info.

Reactions: GCCLee

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom