Changing Oils & Grease

lesterj2

1. For my pump what type oil should I buy and what is the appropriate name of it... I went into 3-4 stores today asking for CAT Pump Oil and nobody knew or ever heard of it... So what oil should I use to change the pump oil...

2. For my blower should I use regular 10W30 that goes into a car... And just regualr grease for the grease fittings...

Able 1

Name
Keith
AEON pd synthedic lubricant for the blower.

Hight temp grease for zerks

Cat pump oil for your pump should be able to find someone around your house that sells and services cat pumps.

Keith

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
or, if you can't find those

30wt NON-detergent oil for the pump
80wt gear oil for the blower lube
Hi-temp wheel bearing grease for the blower bearings

every auto parts store in the country will have that

DON'T over fill the blower or pump

...L.T.A.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Most any carpet cleaning supply distributor will know what Cat Pump oil is and have some on hand.

Scott Warrington

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
oh yea,

you won't need leather welding gloves to handle the "high temp" bearing grease.
It's not hot while in the tOObe....

..l.T.A.

lesterj2

meAt said:
or, if you can't find those

30wt NON-detergent oil for the pump
80wt gear oil for the blower lube
Hi-temp wheel bearing grease for the blower bearings

every auto parts store in the country will have that

DON'T over fill the blower or pump

...L.T.A.
so my local AutoZone, AdvanceAutoParts may have it...
is there a certain brand name i should look/ask for...

lesterj2

are these items appropriate for the job:
AutoZone 30W Oil NonDetergent
Coastal SAE 80W 90 Gear Oil
Valvoline Multi-Purpose Grease

1004018bk7.jpg

Able 1

Name
Keith
your cat pump will probably take about half a quart but looks like your set.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
lesterj2 said:
are these items appropriate for the job:
AutoZone 30W Oil NonDetergent
Coastal SAE 80W 90 Gear Oil
Valvoline Multi-Purpose Grease

1004018bk7.jpg

ya did good, Son.

you have enough gear oil there for at least 5 oil changes and maybe ten depending on your blower and whether it's horizontal or vertical mounted.
Enough pump oil for a half dozen changes

the grease might last you a year or better.
now go get a flexible grease line for that grease gun.
(also at the parts store)
you'll have a hard (to impossible ) time using the straight steel line that came with that gun.
You'll also have a hard time fitting that full size grease tube in that mini gun.
Buy a full size grease gun or buy mini grease cartrages

..L.T.A.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Cat's oil specification actually calls for non-detergent 10W30 oil, which the Cat Pumps Crankcase oil provides (P/N 6100).

Straight 30weight is alright in a pinch, but you are best off switching to the Cat oil as soon as is practical to obtain. Any decent TM supplier is going to routinely have this in stock. It's not expensive 10 bucks will last you all year.

The use of synthetic blower oil is going to save money in the long term with the amount of labor savings in multiple oil changes of conventional versus the single oil change over the same time period. Switch on your next change interval in 500 hours.

Jayhawk2218

Shawn Forsythe said:
Cat's oil specification actually calls for non-detergent 10W30 oil, which the Cat Pumps Crankcase oil provides (P/N 6100).

Straight 30weight is alright in a pinch, but you are best off switching to the Cat oil as soon as is practical to obtain. Any decent TM supplier is going to routinely have this in stock. It's not expensive 10 bucks will last you all year.

The use of synthetic blower oil is going to save money in the long term with the amount of labor savings in multiple oil changes of conventional versus the single oil change over the same time period. Switch on your next change interval in 500 hours.

Albany ga. has zero TM suppliers. Nearest one is Atlanta.

lesterj2

Jayhawk2218 said:
Shawn Forsythe said:

Albany ga. has zero TM suppliers. Nearest one is Atlanta.
yeah i talked to someoe at WhiteMagic Inc today and they referred me to some guy in N.Atlanta... but I think if I figure the problem out dealing with my heat exchanger wiring ill be all to the good...

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
not to make ya look bad or anything. but that tube of grease probably wont fit into that grease gun. may wanna upgrade to either a larger grease gun or smaller tubes of grease. dont forget to run synthetic oil in your motor it handels the heat alot better and doesnt break down as fast. i like valvoline the best but everyone has a favorite.

lesterj2

C&S said:
not to make ya look bad or anything. but that tube of grease probably wont fit into that grease gun. may wanna upgrade to either a larger grease gun or smaller tubes of grease. dont forget to run synthetic oil in your motor it handels the heat alot better and doesnt break down as fast. i like valvoline the best but everyone has a favorite.
to be honest with you i was gonna spoon the grease out of the Valvoline tube and put it into the grease gun...
*shrugs...

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
if you go to walmart they usually have high temp lithium grease 3- tubes for 1.50. and they fit in that grease gun. make sure it says hight temp though.

lesterj2

C&S said:
if you go to walmart they usually have high temp lithium grease 3- tubes for 1.50. and they fit in that grease gun. make sure it says hight temp though.
damm that a great deal...

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
my pump takes that grease thats how i found out. clean up that van and get some lettering on it!

i do agree with the other post as to changing the name of your company. have you thought of it? got any ideas on names?

G

Lester, just go back to autozone and get the mini green grease,it is synthetic and like the oil will give you better protection.

Kevin

lesterj2

so on the pump i just fill it up until that little glass display is full...
or do i just fill it to the center of the glass display which has like a dot in the dead center......
and on the blower do i just keep filling it up until it drains through the oil overflow spot...

1004017ud4.jpg

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
I know you don't fill it all the way. Mine has a red dot that lets me know but I don't want to assume it's right on yours.
Post a pic for these guys...hell they probably know without looking.

lesterj2

I got in touch with Mikey through Skype... He helped me out. Thanks... and the grease gun works great.. i just used the handle end of the kitchen spoon... And put the grease in the gun And my blower is pointing in the right diection so it was easy to do...

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
Shawn Forsythe said:

Over the years Cat Pumps has gone from:
Straight 40 to Straight 30 to 10W40 to 10W30

Greenie

So....ya filled your GENERAL pump with your GENERAL recommended 30 wt ND to the RED dot.....right?

How much spoon grease did ya give her before she puked?

lesterj2

yes i filled the pump just a hair over the center dot...
and i pumped the grease gun like 15 times before anything came from the other sideon both fittings...

do you have any recommendations on the cleanup of the grease and oil spills...

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
lesterj2 said:
do you have any recommendations on the cleanup of the grease and oil spills...

yea, WD-40 (believe it or not) and paper towels/shop rags

also, the first time you run the TM for any length of time, more grease will come out of the bearing over flow thingies

don't be alarmed, it's normal.

..L.T.A.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom