Chatoyance

Bryce C

Name
Bryce
The Fabric Pro Workshop was awesome. Thank you Jim, truly. Glad I could make a small contribution. I learned this term in the realm of gems and woodworking, chatoyance.

"Decoding Chatoyance: The Cat's Eye Phenomenon in Fabric

A Comprehensive Study on Chatoyance: The Optical Phenomenon in Textiles

The History and Origin of Chatoyance in Textiles

The term chatoyance originates from the French 'chatoyer,' meaning 'to shine like a cat's eye.' Originally identified in gemology to describe the unique luster observed in certain gems, this phenomenon was later applied to textiles to reflect the similar effect seen in certain fabrics when light strikes them. The application of chatoyance in textiles primarily emerged during the 19th century with the development of synthetic fibers and advanced weaving techniques, which allowed for greater manipulation of light reflection and refraction on the fabric's surface.

Types of Chatoyance

• Surface Chatoyance: This occurs when light reflects off the surface of the fabric, creating a sheen or glow. This is common in fabrics such as silk or satin.
  • Structural Chatoyance: This type of chatoyance happens when light refracts or bends within the fabrics structure, creating a depth of color and luminosity. It's often seen in layered or textured textiles.
  • Fiber Chatoyance: This refers to the light effect created by the specific properties of the fibers used, such as the striations in velvet or corduroy."

Last edited:

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
You mean Jim didn't sing my
Truck Em or F* ck Em
slogan?

One of the good things about not offering IICRC Certification with my classes is that I’m not having to deal with employees who are forced to attend the class so that the owner can claim they have certified technicians

This frees me from having students that IICRC instructors describe with a variety of pejorative terms, including:

“Hostages” and “Oxygen Thieves”

I also don’t get to hear similar refrains like one of your favorite Coit sayings from that era of your life

• Love
Reactions: Mikey P

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom