Chem pump flowing backwards

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
Chem pump is flowing backwards and filling up my 5 gallon chem jug. I rebuilt the chem pump thinking that a check valve was bad. It worked fine for a couple of days and it did it again today. This time it did it while I was running it on a job. Last time it did it while it was sitting in the garage not running. Any ideas?
I have a Boxxer 421.

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
I replaced the diaphragm when I rebuilt it, along with all of the other o rings. The old one was worn, but no holes.

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
I don't know. I didn't think about looking at the high pressure pump. It needs to be rebuilt, but I was thinking about replacing it instead. It has 5100 hrs on it.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Well don't go by me, I'm not a mechanic but that's a lot of hours. I wonder if the check valve in that piston isn't damaged on not working correctly.

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
I'll check it in a little while, I'm looking at the diagram in the manual and that would make sense. I was also wondering if it was the 3 way priming valve.

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
Is that the strainer that is at the end of the hose going into the chem jug? If so, I didn't know there was a valve in there.

BillC

Give Hydramaster a call. I'm still thinking its the chemical pump.. Even if your water pump is worn the chemical pump should not allow any back-flow..

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
I talked to my dist today. He said that it is probably the 3 way valve, it need to be tightened up, or replaced. There is no footvalve on a boxxer 421.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Charles Lyman said:
Is that the strainer that is at the end of the hose going into the chem jug? If so, I didn't know there was a valve in there.
not only is it a strainer ...
it is a one way ck valve.....with a ball and spring.......it will unscrew apart to clean......
and found in the mix jug on the end of the line!

Chris A

Name
Chris
Newer hydramasters just have the strainer Bawbs, the last one I had with a valve was my 98 cds

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
I took the knob off of the 3 way valve and tightened it up. I also replaced the flowmeter. It had a good size crack in it on the back. Works good now. No back flow.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom