Chemical Metering on Tile n Grout

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
Do most of yous leave your metering system off while flushing your pre applied products with straight hot water when cleaning tile n grout?

Or do you keep it on?

If you keep it on .. what are you running through that wont leave a film or powder residue? Im thinking running a product through will help with the cleaning process.

Reactions: Stephen D. Gillett

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Jimmy is right that a mild acid like vinegar would help eliminate any residue. I prefer to use an neutral or slightly acid rinse agent. Less issue with the place smelling like a salad when the job is done. Plus you'll need less of the rinse agent. You could use a lot of vinegar.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
I use a cup of vinegar in my TM jug and there is no smell of vinegar. And I believe it is the active ingredient in most acid rinse products out there.

Stephen D. Gillett

Supportive Member
Name
Steve Gillett
I'm sure you guys already know this, but it's always worth reminding:
  • DO NOT use an acid (vinegar or other) if the tile is marble, travertine, limestone, or other calcium carbonate material.
  • The acid will etch (eat/make dull marks) the stone.
  • Granite tiles are okay to use a light acid on, granite has no calcium (mostly hard crystalline forms).
  • Acid Cleaners are great on ceramic and porcelain to clean grout.
Essentially the acid is stripping a fine layer of grout off the top. Many acids lay dormant when dry, but will reactive when a homeowner mops with water. It will keep eating the grout if not neutralized. A alkaline cleaner will neutralize the acid wash.
Just a heads up, I know for most of you this is old news.

Neil E

Name
Neil E
Hard surfaces is really all I ever cleaned and we only used soft water to clean/rinse with the Turbo Hybrid. You're flushing a substantial amount of water using a "spinner" type of tool. I can't tell you how many time I checked the surface PH and it was always neutral or slightly on the basic side which is common for water to be in general. I agree with everything Stephen said above regarding natural stones, plus you definitely don't want to leave any acid behind that could potentially continue to react with the lime in the grout that could effect it's integrity.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom