Chemical pump

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
What's the secret to taking these apart without the threads locking. The last couple of stainless pumps I opened at least one side crossed threaded upon disassembly.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
I’m sure it’s the same chemical pump everybody uses. I use anti seize before reassembling but that won’t help getting it apart the first time. For some reason they seem to cross thread when taking apart. Can’t just be me. It happened on my blue wave and now my 870. I try to service the check valves because it isn’t working properly and one or both sides can’t be removed without tremendous force. Once apart the threads are damaged. The last time i used a Drexel tool and cleaned up the threads but it’s not ideal. I have used air to blast It out and clear what ever was in the check valve. I’m going to try that first but I figure there must be a trick to getting it apart.
Maybe somethings in the water here that gets in the threads causing it to bind. If that’s the problem then this pump has been filtered with a big blue filter and a water softener so it won’t happen. Am I the only person that’s had it happen❓

BCC93425-F776-4EEE-974C-7F5DF4501CEE.png

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
The collar (big nut) is mainly the part holding it together.

I have repaired them on the TM... and also on the bench.

When on the bench I have secured them in a vise.

Butler for awhile had a brass version. I had @Russ T. Unit brass Chem in a vise and was having to hit it with heat to get apart.

I have never had difficulty putting them together. You might know but will mention... Start threading backwards first to line up threads.

Reactions: BIG WOOD

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Putting it back together isn’t the problem. Taking the 2 big nuts off is. I let my supplier try once he had the same problem. It was destroyed taking it apart. There are 2 opposing large nuts covering the check valves. Since they switched to stainless from brass I’ve had the problem. Unscrewing it they somehow seem to cross thread. Seems like I’m the only one. It never happens on the diaphragm side just the check valve side.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
The main big nut is just hand tight, maybe just snugged a little more than hand tight. Gotta check it once a month to make sure.

Reactions: SamIam

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Not a very durable pump. Didn’t even survive a year. I suspect this is why I’ve been having problems with it for a while. The spring finally got to bad to work. You could still force prime it with high pressure water and it would work unless you let it run dry. Then it was a nightmare to reprime. Small parts of metal got through into the solution line damaging other quick disconnects. I think I prefer the old style with the shut off. I’ll need to source part and I’ll change them out on a schedule. This time the parts are covered under warranty. Gp’s site says it’s warrantied for 5 years but I didn’t have a change to read what exactly is covered.

D77F41AB-6386-4CF3-A00D-C26D1329936D.jpeg 31F8D480-1981-464F-A9C0-AA9174C24C62.jpeg F00DFC4A-8D68-440A-A5AF-DCA1AC59A0B8.jpeg

Name
Justin Johnston
Not a very durable pump. Didn’t even survive a year. I suspect this is why I’ve been having problems with it for a while. The spring finally got to bad to work. You could still force prime it with high pressure water and it would work unless you let it run dry. Then it was a nightmare to reprime. Small parts of metal got through into the solution line damaging other quick disconnects. I think I prefer the old style with the shut off. I’ll need to source part and I’ll change them out on a schedule. This time the parts are covered under warranty. Gp’s site says it’s warrantied for 5 years but I didn’t have a change to read what exactly is covered.

View attachment 90116View attachment 90117View attachment 90118
Call me at your earliest convenience please. 253-651-3468

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Well I’m happy to report that general pump will replace the entire pump. They want it back to see why it failed, no problem. I’m glad I didn’t trash the spring parts. They are curious about the product being run, which was ice. We clean a lot of tile at 2000 but never come close to the 3000 limit. I’m glad Legend Brands stepped up and made it right. The spring Is $3 and the 3 o-rings are $55. I’ll pick up some springs and replace it as general maintenance. Problem solved.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom