Cleaning baseboards

GRHeacock

On the stairs to the second floor in my house, there were several beverage spills on the wall, some had run down to the baseboards.

Finger marks etc on the walls. Dust, etc. on the baseboards.

My wife wanted them cleaned. It is a thing of hers about having the house clean. Typical woman.

So, I get out the cleaner, spray the affected wall areas, and baseboards.

Wipe off with a towel, took maybe 5 minutes.

It's good to have a happy wife.

And it reminded me about my process when cleaning. For more than 30 years, I ALWAYS cleaned people's baseboards where I cleaned the carpets.

It was so long ago, when portables were the only way to "Steam Clean" a carpet. Before Truck Mounts were even thought of.

A customer complained about the overall look of the freshly cleaned carpet. It was as clean as it would come, but the dirty baseboards detracted from the overall look.

Wanting a satisfied customer, I took a damp towel to the baseboards, and removed the dust. She was now happy.

It does not take much for me to get the idea.

So... from then on, I used the wand- held it up and sprayed the baseboards- there is ALWAYS dust on them.

This ALWAYS improves the overall appearance- especially if there is filtration lines along the edges.

The soot and dust that makes the filtration lines accumulates on the baseboards too. Removing this is very quick, and easy, and I recommend you all do this too, whether you use a portable, Truck Mount, bonnet or OP system.

With the bonnet or OP system, the pad extends past the driver, usually enough to get the edge soils after the spray has washed down the wood.

If there is a lot of filtration soiling, deal with that first- I preferred a stand-up brush, so no hands and knees work.

Gary

Rex Tyus

Me too, but for those REALLY dirty baseboards you need to pretreat with the Hydroforce. :mrgreen:

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Yea, wait untill you hit a nail when you are bonnet cleaning the baseboards. You will be repairing the wall from your body being thrown through it. :D

Name
Nate W.
Brian Robison said:
Yea, wait untill you hit a nail when you are bonnet cleaning the baseboards. You will be repairing the wall from your body being thrown through it. :D

Reminiscing on the good old Chem Dry days, eh?? :lol:

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
If i remember correctly..........

i was LAMBASTED badly when i mentioned cleaning baseboards SIX FRIGGING YEARS AGO........

idiots

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Same here. Sometimes I'd charge for it when I knew I could. Nothing big, but so that they noticed on the invoice that we did it. Always appreciated it. For wood baseboards, I had a wood polish I would use. Otherwise a plexiglass cleaner would do the job. Oh and the vent covers at times too.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Nate The Great said:
[quote="Brian Robison":2wbx7oc4]Yea, wait untill you hit a nail when you are bonnet cleaning the baseboards. You will be repairing the wall from your body being thrown through it. :D

Reminiscing on the good old Chem Dry days, eh?? :lol:[/quote:2wbx7oc4]

:oops:
Maybe.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
bob vawter said:
If i remember correctly..........

i was LAMBASTED badly when i mentioned cleaning baseboards SIX FRIGGING YEARS AGO........

idiots

yeabutt Gary is more respected than you....

there's no way in hell I'm spraying down the base boards with a WAND in res.

in the apts, maybe...IF..there's no wall paper on the walls .

but no way in hell I'd recommend it in a res.

..L.T.A.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Chris.......

you EVER been beat ta death by a little ol' black lady?

they kin be very mean..........

I agree with Rex. I wouldn't recommend spraying the baseboards down with a wand in Residential setting, what happens if you use an emulsifier? I worked with a guy that did this in the past...if you do decide to spray the walls down make sure that you do not spray any electrical outlets...I've seen them "pop"....

Walt

I going to guess that Gary is talking about the huge base boards we have in the older homes in Portland. Easily some of them are 7 inches tall. And painted with oil based enamel paint.

But warning! In many new homes they have base boards made of MDF (aka pressed sawdust) and this stuff will expand on contact with water if they weren't properly painted. It is a real mess.

Real wood base boards - spray away.

MDF - stay a good inch away with the wand. Clean filtration soil with hel gel and white towel. It wont be perfect but you wont be replacing baseboard either.

Ask me how I know. :roll:

Chris A

Name
Chris
bob vawter said:
Chris.......

you EVER been beat ta death by a little ol' black lady?

they kin be very mean..........

I have two black customers...

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
side bar:

I was informed by my wife las nit, that "black" is NOT a socially accepted word any longer......i musta missed that memo!
I been saying it to all my custys.......

sheeeeeeeeeT!

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
admiralclean said:
I'm having 1990 ICS flashbacks.

Only difference is, Hoodledink has taken Gary Berg's place.

And your dumbass probably believed every word he ever said. Probably changed your business model to it like you have with everything else an ICS guru spouted from their mouth over the years. That's so very sad, because you don't even know how to do due diligence for your own business. My wanna-be ass may not own a business like you, and I maybe never will I don't have the desire to right now. But I guarantee in 16 years, I'll be able to keep more than you wish you ever could.

hogjowl

Idiot™
Steven Hoodlebrink said:
admiralclean said:
I'm having 1990 ICS flashbacks.

Only difference is, Hoodledink has taken Gary Berg's place.

And your dumbass probably believed every word he ever said. Probably changed your business model to it like you have with everything else an ICS guru spouted from their mouth over the years. That's so very sad, because you don't even know how to do due diligence for your own business. My wanna-be ass may not own a business like you, and I maybe never will I don't have the desire to right now. But I guarantee in 16 years, I'll be able to keep more than you wish you ever could.

Let me guess ... short man syndrome?

Boys your age should be over that by now, Hoodie.

GRHeacock

Dontcha just hate it when some morons come in and hijack your thread that you put a lot of time and effort, and a few remaining braincells worth of thought into?

Right!! Morons stand up and be counted.

Quit whispering among yourselves - "Does he mean me?"

And yes, I do mean you.

Alright- those of you standing-

Slap yourself on the forehead, and say- "My momma raised a moron."

Gary

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLeeetttsss Get RRRRRRRRRRRRRRready to Rumblllllllllllllllllllllle!!!!!

michealbuffer.jpg

Chris A

Name
Chris
GRHeacock said:
Dontcha just hate it when some morons come in and hijack your thread that you put a lot of time and effort, and a few remaining braincells worth of thought into?

Right!! Morons stand up and be counted.

Quit whispering among yourselves - "Does he mean me?"

And yes, I do mean you.

Alright- those of you standing-

Slap yourself on the forehead, and say- "My momma raised a moron."

Gary

:oops:

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Gary, I love you
(BTW, your hi-rise porty advice was EXCELLENT)

this thread started great too.
Dusting base boards is an wonderful added touch to the service.
Not only makes the CCing job look better, but can be a "cheerleader" maker too

where it ran off in the ditch, and this "this" moron decided to get off the bus and walk, was with the suggestion of using the wand to spray off the base boards.

Forgive me for not assuming you towel wiped them off after spraying them.
If that's case, I may be a moron and my most humble apologies to you, Sir

Personally, i spend a lot of money on the millwork in our home.
I also spend a lot of hours putting the finish on it and then installing it.

I wouldn't wand spray the kick board on Mrs Phiff's china cabinet or her buffet.
I wouldn't spray the bottom of the roll top desk or Mr Phiff's gun cabinet
and I don't want anyone wand spraying my millwork

I'll love you if vac up the dust bunnys and towel dust the boards, but please don't wand spray my millwork, thank you

and I won't mention what it's like wall paper shopping with Joni.
I could buy enough paint to paint 5 apts for what it costs to paper one room

..L.T.A.

GRHeacock

MORONS UNTIE!!

Well, ya hafta use a LITTLE sorta judgment on this.

Yes, spray down some mopboards, and some baseboards, but try and NOT spray on grass cloth or applied silk or raw cotton wall coverings, or fancy millwork that cost $100 per running foot, plus $50.00 per foot to install, etc.

And always remember- when the Grand Exalted Poo-Ba Guru speaks,

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
meAt said:
Gary, I love you
(BTW, your hi-rise porty advice was EXCELLENT)

this thread started great too.
Dusting base boards is an wonderful added touch to the service.
Not only makes the CCing job look better, but can be a "cheerleader" maker too

where it ran off in the ditch, and this "this" moron decided to get off the bus and walk, was with the suggestion of using the wand to spray off the base boards.

Forgive me for not assuming you towel wiped them off after spraying them.
If that's case, I may be a moron and my most humble apologies to you, Sir

Personally, i spend a lot of money on the millwork in our home.
I also spend a lot of hours putting the finish on it and then installing it.

I wouldn't wand spray the kick board on Mrs Phiff's china cabinet or her buffet.
I wouldn't spray the bottom of the roll top desk or Mr Phiff's gun cabinet
and I don't want anyone wand spraying my millwork

I'll love you if vac up the dust bunnys and towel dust the boards, but please don't wand spray my millwork, thank you

and I won't mention what it's like wall paper shopping with Joni.
I could buy enough paint to paint 5 apts for what it costs to paper one room

..L.T.A.

MILLWORK?????

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

G

GRHeacock said:
On the stairs to the second floor in my house, there were several beverage spills on the wall, some had run down to the baseboards.

Finger marks etc on the walls. Dust, etc. on the baseboards.

My wife wanted them cleaned. It is a thing of hers about having the house clean. Typical woman.

So, I get out the cleaner, spray the affected wall areas, and baseboards.

Wipe off with a towel, took maybe 5 minutes.

It's good to have a happy wife.

And it reminded me about my process when cleaning. For more than 30 years, I ALWAYS cleaned people's baseboards where I cleaned the carpets.

It was so long ago, when portables were the only way to "Steam Clean" a carpet. Before Truck Mounts were even thought of.

A customer complained about the overall look of the freshly cleaned carpet. It was as clean as it would come, but the dirty baseboards detracted from the overall look.

Wanting a satisfied customer, I took a damp towel to the baseboards, and removed the dust. She was now happy.

It does not take much for me to get the idea.

So... from then on, I used the wand- held it up and sprayed the baseboards- there is ALWAYS dust on them.

This ALWAYS improves the overall appearance- especially if there is filtration lines along the edges.

The soot and dust that makes the filtration lines accumulates on the baseboards too. Removing this is very quick, and easy, and I recommend you all do this too, whether you use a portable, Truck Mount, bonnet or OP system.

With the bonnet or OP system, the pad extends past the driver, usually enough to get the edge soils after the spray has washed down the wood.

If there is a lot of filtration soiling, deal with that first- I preferred a stand-up brush, so no hands and knees work.

Gary

Dispite the knuckleheads below; I also spray the base boards taking care not to spray walls, electrical outlets, or paper. Most of us do use OR some of us use sprayer wands(the wand your Hydro Force Sprayer came with). Just hold it close to base board and develope the tecnique that gets the best results.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
rjfdube said:
Dispite the knuckleheads below; I also spray the base boards taking care not to spray walls, electrical outlets, or paper. Most of us do use some of us use sprayer wands(the wand your Hydro Force Sprayer came with). Just hold it close to base board and develope the tecnique that gets the best results.

you spray my baseboards without wiping them off and I'll kick yore azz before i throw you out! :evil:

so why not spray the kick board on Mrs Phiff's china cabinet too?
Or the roll top deck?

it's the same stuff

or DO you spray her large in-place furnishing too? :roll:

hell, lets forget about wiping the over spray off the exposed wood on steps too.
We'll just hose it down the rest of the way and let it air dry....

dinning room chairs or upl with finished wood accent?
foggetabout wiping the wood parts, just "pressure wash" and let air dry... :roll: :roll:

..L.T.A.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom