Cleaning sheet vinyl with op.

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
I looked at a commercial place today with sheet vinyl. It's got tire marks and scuffs.

I didn't have my op on hand to do a demo but I think this may work fine. Is there a cleaner that I can use that doesn't require rinsing?.

thanks,
Albert

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
And you would not want to run your spinner over it because???

We do a lot of kitchen floor sheet vinyl cleanings and use the floor machine with red pad and good cleaner( I like Matrix grout devil for sheet vinyl too). Rinse with spinner and detail tool or if you have a gecko/ hard surface wand, works equally well. Then white pad over the top buffs out a nice sheen back on it if its not too damaged.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
No rinse floor cleaner.....find it at Sam's warehouse.

Or Strategic floor cleaner from Spartan ....also no rinse.

Jeremy

Name
Jeremy
For a light scrub use neutral floor cleaner and a white or beige pad... Rinse with a mop and polish with a burnsher...

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
Thanks for the advice. I thought the Brute would make quick work of it. I could get in and out faster and cost would be less. If that does'nt work then a cimex with red pads and rinsing as David suggest would be best.

So, in regards to a polish, can I put some white pads on a cimex and get similiar results then with a burnisher?.

Albert

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
Albert Lazo said:
Thanks for the advice. I thought the Brute would make quick work of it. I could get in and out faster and cost would be less. If that does'nt work then a cimex with red pads and rinsing as David suggest would be best.

So, in regards to a polish, can I put some white pads on a cimex and get similiar results then with a burnisher?.

Albert

I don't recommond burnishers for sheet vinyl.. as long as its the factory no wax finish. A 175 or cimex with white pads will bring the shine back just fine.

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
I did a little test today. No rinse stuff is not going to cut it for the tiremarks. It will need scrub and extract.

Questions,
Does anyone know this material?. I could only find one seam that was sorta welded together but could not find the width.

Is there something I can seal this with that will hide the scratches but keep maintenance to a minimum?.
The scratches in the pic are not from a topical.

thanks,
Albert

DSCN0403.jpg

DSCN0407.jpg

DSCN0410.jpg

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
Its either an Armstrong or Forbo Commercial sheet flooring.

Might be medintech
http://www.armstrong.com/commflooringna ... m_id=92489

Though I'm curious.. did you try a floor stripper by chance?

http://www.armstrong.com/commflooringna ... 7sZ1z141xp

I wonder if someone did not try to wax this thing already.. Your picture look like some texture is showing through.

I think I'm looking to hard and its prolly closer to the medintech product.

Possible Forbo types:

http://www.forboflooringna.com/DesktopM ... 454&bid=-1

(I'm thinking its Forbo over Armstrong product. )

either Way:

from Forbo's site:

PERIODIC CLEANING As needed, depending on the application, type of traffic, and hours of operation.
1. Clean the entire flooring surface with a treated dust mop, such as JohnsonDiversey Lamello 60 dust mop and Flor-Zip treated wipes.
2. Top scrub the floor with a neutral pH detergent/cleaner, such as Johnson Wax Professional Stride, mixed according to label directions. Apply the cleaning solution with a mop and bucket; allow the solution to remain on the floor, then scrub with a rotary electric scrubber or automatic scrubber with a non-abrasive red scrubbing pad.
3. Do NOT over-saturate the floor. 4. If not using an autoscrubber, pick up the scrubbing solution with a wet vacuum (preferred) or a mop. 5. Rinse the entire floor surface with a clean mop using clean, cool water and allow the floor to dry
thoroughly. 6. Spray buff with a spray buff solution, such as Taski Ultra Spray, then dry buff with a white pad, followed
by dustmopping.
NOTE: Weather, traffic, and geographical location may influence the frequency of this procedure. For example, in areas where there are large amounts of snow and chemicals used in the winter months, you may need to perform this procedure more frequently. In dry climates, or where there is less dirt traffic, this procedure may be performed less frequently.

and for Restoration cleaning:

RENOVATION As needed if the flooring has been damaged or when periodic cleaning procedures no longer produce the desired result. 1. Clean the entire flooring surface with a treated dust mop, such as JohnsonDiversey Lamello 60 dust mop
and Flor-Zip treated wipes. 2. Heavy Scrub the floor using a stripper solution such as Johnson Wax Professional GP Forward or Taski
Linostrip mixed according to label directions. Apply the stripping solution with a mop and bucket and, following label directions, allow the solution to remain on the floor, then scrub with a rotary electric scrubber or automatic scrubber with a green or blue scrubbing pad. The use of brown or black stripping pads is not recommended.
3. Do NOT over-saturate the floor. 4. If not using an autoscrubber, pick up the scrubbing solution with a wet vacuum (preferred) or a mop. 5. Rinse the entire floor surface with a clean mop using clean, cool water and allow the floor to dry
thoroughly. 6. Apply 2-3 thin coats of Johnson Wax Professional Carefree Matte finish or, for a higher gloss, Johnson Wax
Professional Carefree finish.
Note: Phenolic disinfectants are very caustic and may damage floorcoverings or other surfaces that they come into contact with. Potential damage includes discoloration or damage of the flooring surface, and leaving a slippery residue that may cause a hazardous condition. Where protective footwear is used, the chance of slipping is increased. Forbo's warranty does not cover damage caused by phenolic disinfectants.
If phenolic disinfectants are used, the floorcovering should be thoroughly rinsed with clean water after each application. After rinsing, the floor should be wet vacuumed. Following this recommendation will reduce the risk of slipperiness and damage to the floorcovering.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
In other words you can treat this like a resiliant tile. You will extend the life of the product and use a low maintenance floor finish but they are going to have to up their commitment to floor care with more regular maintenance of the acutel floor finish. Otherwise they will be investing in a new floor before too long.

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
I would clean it with the lino strip or any other marmoleum safe floor stripper, worn blue pad if the floor has finish on it
red pad if it doesn't
with a little moisture as possible

put down a matte or gloss marmoleum finish, no buffing
only a couple coats of finish, not 5 or 6
why, because you will have to remove it sometime in the future, better safe then sorry

putting on a marmoleum type product will make it easier to remove and is better for the surface, the less agressive you can be with the floor the longer it will last

but without a maintenance program it probably wont last anyway

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
Wow, that's great info guys. Thanks a bunch!!

David, from the looks of it it does look like the first link you posted. I did try a stripper which is what took off the tiremarks. I did put a few drops of it on an area for a few minutes. After wipping it slightly hazed the factory sealer so the lino safe strip sounds like the thing to try on it. BTW, the few drops of stripper I tested was straight without dilution. Home depot stripper.

It does look like the scratches are from the original factory top coat. I'll give them a cleaning quote. I've already told them that applying any type of floor finish will require more maintenance.

Any idea what type of maintenance this would need?.

Say a few coats of finish is put down. How often would be needed before another recoat?. It's 3,500 - 4,000 sft, they are not busy yet. It's a sporting goods place and areas are pretty open. I don't know jack about this stuff so your help is appreciated.

Albert

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
if you end up maintaining it for any length of time, look into an auto scrubber, even if it is a push model like a used nobels speed scrub

really try to avoid buffing it, it is vey easy to burn the high spots

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
Right on guys.

Thanks again. The video was actually very imformative seeing that I've never done these type of floors.

PS, I had no idea Betco has so much stuff. Other then these types of floors I noticed from the second link that they have a wood floor recoat system as well. Very cool.

Albert

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
I've been very happy using their systems for resillient floors. I think what steve was talking about was burnishing rather than buffing.. If you buff.. you are using a 175 and a white pad.. little to no harm in this. But a burnisher.. he's right could burn the crap out of the floor.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom