CLUTCH INSTALLATION

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
I got a few PM's about my masking tape trick for a clutch install so i thought i'd post it.....

The clearance between the field and the magnet is measured in .000th.....

EXACTLY the thickness of masking tape.......so very carefully, wrap the magnet wit ONE wrap of tape...do NOT overlap!!!!firmly push the tape on and trim any overlap!
Set the magnet in the field and TIGHTEN center bolt 20 lbs torque....

THEN, tighten the four clutch bolts that hold the clutch assembly to the unit!

Once THAT is tight remove the center bolt back off and insert a 5/8 threaded bold into the center of clutch and this will force the magnet back off!

Remove the masking tape and install key in keyway Install the magnet back in field and re-insert center bolt and re-torque back to 20lbs......

The masking tape thickness is the clearance you need to keep from galling the clutch....

Rex Tyus

Clearance requirements vary from Manufacturer to manufacturer. Bob gives excellent instruction on clutch install. The Pitts clutch Cleanco uses needs 3 wraps with electrical tape. So don't take these two examples as a one size fits all.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Yes Rex this was for a Four Seasons clutch # 47959 which i BELIEVE is the most common....

Rex Tyus

I wasn't second guessing you Bob. I just wanted to clarify for those that may not know clearance tolerances vary.

Who uses the Four seasons? I thought Ogura was the most common because they are the cheapest? White Magic and Hydra master used Ogura last I checked. Don't know about Butler. Who does that leave besides Cleanco (which uses the heavier Pitts).

Four seasons even sounds Like an A/C clutch don't it?

TimP

I would guess steam genie uses four seasons since Bob is a steam genie guy.

Matt King

A little info passed along to me... Maybe this is in recent history, maybe it's always been this way, I don't know. I've been through maybe a dozen or so clutches just playing around testing stuff. All of the clutches labeled the same but not all clutches fitting the exact same driveshaft the same. The outer plate is held into the inner clutch housing with a snap ring. The 1/4" taper is machined into the outer plate assembly. Not all clutches had the Exact same taper machined into them. They Looked the same but were very inconsistent in the way they fit. Bottom line, they obviously weren't all machined on the same machine and/or setting. From what I've been told certain parts are subcontracted out to other 'sources', I assume China. Anyhow, up to 70 thousandths run out was measured when matching up the 2 tapers and running the shaft. So, if you notice a Serious wobble in the clutch, that's probably why. Bob's tape method is a simple way to ensure the inner clutch assembly and outer magnet housing don't rub together when spinning. You still need to have the proper 'air' gap or spacing from the front of the magnet housing to the clutch itself. I was told up to a 1/8-1/4" is acceptable. I didn't find this to be the case for our HP requirements anyway.. Shawn recommended 3/32 and I stick with it. Four Seasons is a private labeled Ogura. As are 2 others who's names escape me at the moment. Maybe there's others, I don't know...

Bob Foster

All this talk about clutches is giving me a facial tick again. I got post traumatic clutch syndrome. Last year this time 4 (FOUR!) F'n clutches. I am sure you guys remember. Those guys have never touched the truck since.

This stuff is worth the 5 bucks a month.

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
Depends upon the clutch...

You can get as much torque capability as you'll ever need and then some. The original design for the SplitSteam called for (2) clutches... one on each blower. When I started looking closely at what's available, I was surprised to see just how much is available.

Duane

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
I've ran my 47 totally locked down relief valve for SEVEN years now...same clutch....jus changed my serpintine belt first time...no shit!

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Depends on what carpet i'm working on....a glue down sometimes 15..

yes Greenie at 1650RPM's!!!

Jay D

Name
Jay D
Bob,

If I did'nt already Have 2 EZ's I would probably buy one of your "NEW" Steam Genies. They sound so simple and make you sound like your a Rocket Scientist........Almost. :roll:

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Any parts store can order that Four Seasons clutch.....next day!!!!

I work the CRAP outta my clutches and NEVER had one fail!

Name
Jesse
What about a clutch for my W/M's?

We switched from the Ogura's to the Pitt's. Were a little slow on day work right now so were having the waste tanks reinforced and we're going to set them for 16hg's, and spun a little faster.

Scott Rogers

bob vawter said:
My Steam Genie HAS no leaks...it's amazing,the dumbness of yous all.....

Bob, I guarantee you have leaks in your system. Connect your vac hoses together and fill with water and tell me non leaks out of the connections or small cracks in the hoses. You wont notice under vacuum, put fill completely with water and watch for leaks.

You probably suck some air through you tank gasket as well unless your lid is mechanically fastened.

Back
Top Bottom