clutch- PTO question

Name
Jesse
Any year make model running on a 12V clutch. Or if I'm being ignorant of why that matters then 98 white magic pro 1200, ford 5.4, gas.

I need to get another used pto. I'm thinking of buying a used van and making my own pto or refabing an existing unit. I'll use the larger clutch and shaft that White magic uses on their HV, Custom heat exchangers.... Power and simplicity, economically is what I want.

I'm just wondering if there is any reason not to use an adjustable knob like I believe the Vortex uses instead of the one of the preset systems the others use. I'd prefer to have the machine engaged at and idle then bring up the rpm's to a desired rpm.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
It does not matter what you are using ..if it is a pto and you want to put a manual throttle control cable on it ..then it should work...you have to know what the top out is so when you ramp it up you will need to put a stop control on the knob so you don't over do it....pretty simple set up....that is what I have on the vortex

But in your case...you will still need to have a clutch on it so you are not driving around with the pto spinning.....Just make sure you engage the clutch before you ramp it up and and then slow it down before you disengage it or you will burn it up.......

Name
Jesse
Thanks Jim,

While I assumed it to be fine, I was concerned that low rpm startup may be bad for the clutch since the alternators not pumping much juice at those rpms.

All of the pto's I've worked with slammed into action except a Cleanco I demoed for a week. That unit would jump to about 1000 then slowly climb to 1500.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
it would really be no different from a cds unit.....engine running.....kick in clutch and ramp up the motor

Greenie

So...the question is, how much amperage does the alternator put out at say 800 rpms, and is that enough to not have an issue with the clutch engaging? Could this be a possible clutch slayer like low voltage is?

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
I do it all the time on my WM PTO. I just pop off the small vacuum tube from the vac advance module in the front of the van and it keeps the engine at idle. It warms up the system and I can spray my hydroforce and do light cleaning under furniture. Then I put the tube back on and presto: the blower starts to roar and wake the neighborhood.

Rex Tyus

c_adkins said:
my CDS does that, engages, then slowly revs to operating speed.

Yea from what I have read most clutch drive manufacturers have gone to electronic control replacing the old pod control. They also maintain preset rpm's at a constant even under load. I keep putting off the upgrade but I gotta get that done.

glenboy

Name
GLEN
in a 2002 gmc van what are my options i currently use a solenoid to control the throttle but i would like to use a pto cable push/pull then dial to fine tune

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom