Cobb job has no belt tensioner, belts keep slipping

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Several things to consider:,

1. user error... (No offence Lyon)

Are the proper belts being used?

2. Are cheaper belts being used? And I dont mean $$ wise, I mean the quality... if you are using the same brand as always, maybe their quallity has gone out the window (Like what has happend to me many times)

Try matching the belts to the Gates belts

Ashley has the correct solution.

Gates 3VX cog belts are matched for the correct length. It is the only brand we sell.

They will slip on and restore the proper tension for $21.60.

The other way is to scribe around the engine for alignment,

loosen the engine bolts, and slide the engine to the left to tighten the off-brand belts.

Our Exhaust manifold IS stainless, so it should be wrapped with:

http://www.cobbcarpet.com/zen/index...4a5049c47f5&keyword=3vx315+or+fiberglass+tape

Proper maintenance is the KEY for a 10 year old TM.

Larry

Last edited:
Name
Lee Stockwell
Original post in this thread:
24hp dynachem, Cobb says they don't use belt tensioners and so I can't tighten belts and they slip after a couple months of use.
I should install a belt tensioner. Can't figure out how to download video from iphone.

Back to square ONE it seems Larry?

You still think it's OK to not have a way to tighten belts?, no adjustment? Just push the belts over the pulleys?

You DO know belt mfgs consider that a big no-no because that will shorten the life of the belts by tearing load bearing longitudal fibers of the belts.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Original post in this thread:

Back to square ONE it seems Larry?

You still think it's OK to not have a way to tighten belts?, no adjustment? Just push the belts over the pulleys?

You DO know belt mfgs consider that a big no-no because that will shorten the life of the belts by tearing load bearing longitudal fibers of the belts.

Lee;

That is true on a rigid mounting plate.

Our shock-mounted aluminum mounting plate flexes enough to easily allow this method.

View attachment 4655

We prefer it because customers misalign the sheaves when they loosen the mounting bolts.

A mechanic is more apt to keep it aligned.

Larry

Last edited:

shadygrady

Name
Rob Grady
It is generally accepted to install belts in a manner that you can read the writing when facing the machine. The belt on the outside of the sheave is installed correctly, while the inside one needs to be turned around. Just saying.

Name
Lee Stockwell
That pic doesn't show the feature you noted. There is "flex" on the base to plate connection, not motor to blower connection.

You know you needed a way to properly install the belt and maintain its tension over its lifetime. Most mfgs, even in WF TX did that back in 2004 :-)

Please don't blame your customers: "...customers misalign the sheaves when they loosen the mounting bolts", for shortcuts in engineering.

We love you Larry, you make some great stuff. Hopefully your new machines have the improvement you pictured in a different thread.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Lee;

That is true on a rigid mounting plate.

Our shock-mounted aluminum mounting plate flexes enough to easily allow this method.

View attachment 4655

We prefer it because customers misalign the sheaves when they loosen the mounting bolts.

A mechanic is more apt to keep it aligned.

Larry
A belt tensioner would prevent the need to loosen bolts and misalign things. I prefer Bobs mount straight to the blower. Might be risky for some to install their self. Very clean

Gene

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
go back and look at my bracket.....
you'll notice a coupla extra mount holes.....
this bracket will fit a roots as well as a Sutorbilt.....

Honey Badger don't f'ck around......

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Bawb, where do you get your eccentrics?
Crap...can't remember...they ARE from an older vehicle and had to be ordered from my local NAPA....HOWEVER i still got two left on a spare bracket that belongs to CRASH....I can get the #'s off them for you....i try tomorrow....if i forget remind me again..cuz these things are the cats ass.....and work great

Reactions: dgardner

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom