Cobb job has no belt tensioner, belts keep slipping

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
the concentrics are not a tensioner per se......better
they keep the belts tight lik they should be.....PLUS you can change the belts in about three minutes.....
Gene...ever try a Gates green belt....they're the best

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
the concentrics are not a tensioner per se......better
they keep the belts tight lik they should be.....PLUS you can change the belts in about three minutes.....
Gene...ever try a Gates green belt....they're the best

Yes I love the green gates matched belts.

Gene

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
I'm not a manufacturer...
but i DID stay at a Holiday Inn one time.....
THIS is the proper way to tighten yor belts...
a BRACKET with two concentrics.....
i've got templates for most 45's and 47's
i believe this is Chris' machine

SGTIGHTNER.jpg

That is Awesome!
Yes this is my machine and lemme tell ya

It is sweet to be able to tighten the belts. I run the covers for posterity, still takes me about 2 min to tighten either or both belts, routine maint thats a habit now.

Thanks for Everything Bawb!
Friggin Luv U Dude : )

Sent from da parking garage of dee detention center

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Yea he had it all re-done at the local distributor. Re mounted on a plate with slide holes for adjustment. But I thought they had said it wasn't necessary they had a solution. ???

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Ahem, this is where the manufacturer chimes in with accurate information to help the cleaner in distress......

Calling Mr Cobb?

Listen to who you want

But if ya listen to the right people, they might teach ya somethin

Insteada jus take what your trying to make.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
ya Chris...it IS awesome...
prolly the best designed machine ever made...
ever thing bolts right onto the blower....
who'da thought?

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
This post got me to thinkin'........
i got a CNC water jet crew ready and all set up to cut everything including the instrument panel.......learning at MF how to install into a new chev van is a snap.......i SHOULD make one more!
Hell i sold nine right under Mikeys nose....
he wouldn't notice one more....would he????

ain't they purty???
bestfrontmachine.jpg

Last edited:

Able 1

Name
Keith
If you can install one into a newer Chevy put me on the list..

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
If you can install one into a newer Chevy put me on the list..

Guaranteed it can be done!

Take a number pal. First 5 are mine : )

Okay okay, atleast 2

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
This post got me to thinkin'........
i got a CNC water jet crew ready and all set up to cut everything including the instrument panel.......learning at MF how to install into a new chev van is a snap.......i SHOULD make one more!
Hell i sold nine right under Mikeys nose....
he wouldn't notice one more....would he????

ain't they purty???
bestfrontmachine.jpg

I'd take a week off to come help!

Seriously!

Better feed me more than dam dog food though an can I bring firecrackers for the neighbors.

AshleyMckendree

Supportive Member
Name
Ashley Mckendree
Reactions: GCCLee

knoxclean

Supportive Member
Name
David Gargan
I find it strange that Larry has not chimed in? If he had a question on a spot removal Larry would have been the first to respond with a link to his site and one of his products.

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
I find it strange that Larry has not chimed in? If he had a question on a spot removal Larry would have been the first to respond with a link to his site and one of his products.

Larry has a tendency to interject his wisdom into all posts except those about problems with his equipment or products.
He probably just hopes those posts will bury themselves. Nothing new.
I have experienced the same thing with pm's and phone calls. If he can sell something you will get a response.
If it is a problem...good luck.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner

I brought up the same issue 15 posts ago. I'm sure Larry is aware of this thread. If he was going to offer any suggestions he would have by now.

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Ride Em Cowboy

Yee Haw : )

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
I find it funny that Larry introduced his NEW tensioner design........ in another completely unrelated thread. :winky:

Perhaps he will send Lyon a retrofit kit at no charge? That would be cool.

Last edited:
Reactions: Moser Brothers

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
It is funny how there is a problem with a ten year old machine and there is a poking at the manufacturer , and y'all want him to repond to an attack.

Larry is smart and will not respond to an attack. So he post in another thread, where he is not under direct attack.

I am not surprised that no one thinks the "Cobb job" is awesome for being a ten year old unit that ( might eat some belt quick) but keeps on making money.

TEN YEARS AND HE'S ONLY HAD TO CHANGE SPARK PLUGS AND SOME BELTS??????

HOW MANY DIFFERENT MANUFACTURERS UNITS ARE OUT FOR TEN YEARS WITH SO LITTLE PROBLEMS?

Just sayin

Reactions: AshleyMckendree

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Michael,

I re-read the posts, and most seem to be genuinely helpful hints for various possible fixes. I wasn't until post 28 that I said anything about Larry, and then it was only a suggestion that he chime in. It's in any manufacturer's best interest to take an interest in their customers and their issues.

AshleyMckendree

Supportive Member
Name
Ashley Mckendree
Several things to consider:,

1. user error... (No offence Lyon)

Are the proper belts being used? IE. Are the Sheaves designed for the 4x stronger 5vx series, and B style belts are mistakenly being used?

2. Are cheaper belts being used? And I dont mean $$ wise, I mean the quality... if you are using the same brand as always, maybe their quallity has gone out the window (Like what has happend to me many times)

Try matching the belts to the Gates Green "Powerrated" belts (Thanks BAWB), or the "Predator" series, I have had tremendous success with both, in situations were I was burning through belts every month.

Reactions: Lee Stockwell
Name
Lee Stockwell
His delayed response is understandable.

I'm sure it took a few days to fabricate a tensioner, and then take pictures to show here.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
t is funny how there is a problem with a ten year old machine and there is a poking at the manufacturer , and y'all want him to repond to an attack.

Larry is smart and will not respond to an attack. So he post in another thread, where he is not under direct attack.

I am not surprised that no one thinks the "cobb
link1.gif
job" is awesome for being a ten year old unit that ( might eat some belt quick) but keeps on making money.

TEN YEARS AND HE'S ONLY HAD TO CHANGE SPARK PLUGS AND SOME BELTS??????

HOW MANY DIFFERENT MANUFACTURERS UNITS ARE OUT FOR TEN YEARS WITH SO LITTLE PROBLEMS?

Just sayin
Lockhart is blaming us but it doesn't bother Larry to bash other distributors or manufacturers he doesn't represent. Yet when it comes to his products he has thin skin. ???

I don't think he took any bashing for days until it was obvious he wasn't responding.

That was just odd. He could have said I don't want to get attacked so I'll post it in another thread but he just never said a thing.

That's a strange way to handle it especially for a distributor/manufacturer, but I guess we all have our peccadilloes.

I'm looking into getting mine surgically removed. :winky:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Chris A
Name
Lyon
Several things to consider:,

1. user error... (No offence Lyon)

Are the proper belts being used? IE. Are the Sheaves designed for the 4x stronger 5vx series, and B style belts are mistakenly being used?

2. Are cheaper belts being used? And I dont mean $$ wise, I mean the quality... if you are using the same brand as always, maybe their quallity has gone out the window (Like what has happend to me many times)

Try matching the belts to the Gates Green "Powerrated" belts (Thanks BAWB), or the "Predator" series, I have had tremendous success with both, in situations were I was burning through belts every month.

I use matching cog belts from an engineering shop that's been around for 100 years, I tried automotive and the green ones don't work, the cog belts are the correct belt, I'll check out Cobbs new set up

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
The slotted plate is simple and cheap, and is a very common way to tension belts. Every belt-driven machine in our shop uses a slotted plate to adjust belt tension.

A spring-loaded tensioner is a good thing though, if you're willing to spend a little money and have the room, since you can change belts more easily.

If you find it terribly difficult to change belts you might want to try a link belt. If they stretch, take out a link.
http://www.bdhbelt.com/link-v-belts.asp
http://www.fennerdrives.com/powertwist-plus/_/PowerTwist-Plus-B/17/5L/

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom