cobb power distrubution box

steve g

Name
steve garrett
I have been using my mytee box for a few years, it only has 2-20 amp breakers that split from 220, most of the time I find the breakers tripped even if I have only been running 15 amps through each, I think the breakers are only good for about 10 amps each. I have been looking at the cobb box, it looks simpler and offers 4 20 amp plugs. it is also priced attractively. other units are a larger yellow box that looks like they need a ton of adapters and cords to make them work, they cost over $400 and that is without all the adapters and cords. is anyone using the cobb power box?? what is the best option for a distribution box.

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
I could be wrong but isn't 50 amps 50 amps even if you split it down?

If you split a 50 amp 220 down don't you still get 50 amps at 110?

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
IF the breaker on your box is rated for 20 amps then it is a straight 20 amp breaker....you are not going to get just 10 amps off of it with out something melting down......

Second.....are the 20 amp breakers a GFI or are they straight 20 amp........

Third.....are you running an extension cord off the box and then feeding what ever you are running...If this is what you are doing then you may be raising the amps and causing the breaker to trip...the harder the electric has to draw the hotter things get and the higher the amps go and it will trip breaker...what are you running and how far....what type of cord....

If you split a 50 amp 220 down don't you still get 50 amps at 110?

yes..but you have taken the 220 and split each side and broke it down to 2 20 amp 120 breakers..so ..although at the main house panel it is still 50 amps..each individual breaker over rides this.....

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
Jim Martin said:
yes..but you have taken the 220 and split each side and broke it down to 2 20 amp 120 breakers..so ..although at the main house panel it is still 50 amps..each individual breaker over rides this.....
That's what I was thinking.

I'm not understanding the payoff of buying Cobb's box if most dryer or oven plugs are rated at 40-50 amps. You're not going to get 80 amps from that.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Jeremy N said:
[quote="Jim Martin":2mee78lc]

That's what I was thinking.

I'm not understanding the payoff of buying Cobb's box if most dryer or oven plugs are rated at 40-50 amps. You're not going to get 80 amps from that.[/quote:2mee78lc]

Correct......unless there is something really wrong with your box...your not going to gain anything replacing it...It is probably just a simple problem that can be fixed........

steve g

Name
steve garrett
so if you have a 50 amp 220 dryer plug, what is the maximum amount of amps that can be run off it when dropped down to 110 power, is it still 50 amps of total power?? so if each air mover draws 5 amps, does that mean I can only run 10 air movers off any box that adapts into this outlet??

the cobb box is 80 amps 4 20 amp plugs, are you guys saying if I tried to run that much power through it, it would trip the breaker??

handdi

Supportive Member
Name
Randy
I would really like to know about this box also
been lookin for one
thanks steve

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
steve g said:
the cobb box is 80 amps 4 20 amp plugs, are you guys saying if I tried to run that much power through it, it would trip the breaker??

I'm not a Sparky and will defer to Jim, who actually know what he's talking about.
but yea, I figure you'll trip the breaker if you're trying pull a full 80 amp load .
But not the breakers/resets on the Cobb box, but the 50amp breaker in the house breaker box

..L.T.A.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
so if you have a 50 amp 220 dryer plug, what is the maximum amount of amps that can be run off it when dropped down to 110 power,

15 or 20 amps.......you can not get over 20 amps out of a 120...(or 110)...

is it still 50 amps of total power??

theoretically yes.at the house panel box.........but..the distribution box split this up and broke it down to two 20 amp circuits....so each 20 amp breaker over rides the house panel box.....

so if each air mover draws 5 amps, does that mean I can only run 10 air movers off any box that adapts into this outlet??

No..you will probably be lucky to run 4 to 5.....because each fan is rated to run by itself....once you start adding more and more the electrical draw starts getting weaker and the power is going to pull harder to accommodate each fan..as it does this it causes the amps to go higher and higher until something has to give...

you are not going to run that much power threw it and his box is not 80 amps..his box is only 4 SEPARATE 20 amp breakers...each one has its own individual draw....

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
But not the breakers/resets on the Cobb box, but the 50amp breaker in the house breaker box

If you have a distribution box and you manage to trip the 50 amp in the house panel....start looking for smoke somewhere...........

steve g

Name
steve garrett
jim your not being as clear as you need to be,I just checked my breaker box at home and it has twin 40 amp breakers that power my range plug. I then install cobbs power box on the range plug, does this give me a theoretical 80 amps of 110 power?? so you are saying due to cords and other inefficiencies I loose say 7 or 8 amps off this total. so I have 70ish amps of power to run what I want, so if each air mover draws 5 amps is it reasonable to expect to run 14 air movers at least in the above scenario?? does the cobb box look like it can flow that kind of juice?? am I missing something.

as a side note in my experience in order to reliably load a 15 amp breaker I need to stay at around 13.5 or less rated amps with my equipment. with the example I gave in the last post about 10 air movers on two 25 amp breakers in a 220 arrangement you are claiming I am only going to be able to run 4 or 5 in the real world situation, that is half the rated power, I don't believe this is accurate in my experience.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
steve g said:
jim your not being as clear as you need to be,I just checked my breaker box at home and it has twin 40 amp breakers that power my range plug. I then install cobbs power box on the range plug, does this give me a theoretical 80 amps of 110 power?? so you are saying due to cords and other inefficiencies I loose say 7 or 8 amps off this total. so I have 70ish amps of power to run what I want, so if each air mover draws 5 amps is it reasonable to expect to run 14 air movers at least in the above scenario?? does the cobb box look like it can flow that kind of juice?? am I missing something.

as a side note in my experience in order to reliably load a 15 amp breaker I need to stay at around 13.5 or less rated amps with my equipment. with the example I gave in the last post about 10 air movers on two 25 amp breakers in a 220 arrangement you are claiming I am only going to be able to run 4 or 5 in the real world situation, that is half the rated power, I don't believe this is accurate in my experience.

Electrical is one of the hardest things to explain.........because it is not as simple and straight forward as it sounds.....on your ranges..yes you probably have a 40..on the dryer (if it is electric) you should have a 50.....and if your range and dryer are plugged into there outlets....then Yes... you have the correct rated amount of amps going to them.....BUT......a distribution box splits this and breaks down the amperage per leg.......so you are not getting the full 40 or 50 amps....it is only 40 or 50 amps when it is phased together....now start adding things to the box and your are drawing more and more....how many amps you are going to lose depends on the fan..the gauge of the cord and if you are using extension cords......
.Now..once you hook that box to the range outlet from that point on you are only working with 20 amps per breaker.nothing else.....the house breaker becomes totally useless.........

Name
John LaBarbera
steve g said:
I have been using my mytee box for a few years, it only has 2-20 amp breakers that split from 220, most of the time I find the breakers tripped even if I have only been running 15 amps through each, I think the breakers are only good for about 10 amps each. I have been looking at the cobb box, it looks simpler and offers 4 20 amp plugs. it is also priced attractively. other units are a larger yellow box that looks like they need a ton of adapters and cords to make them work, they cost over $400 and that is without all the adapters and cords. is anyone using the cobb power box?? what is the best option for a distribution box.

I use the Mytee 230 volt power adapter at my house when my wife wants me to clean the carpets. I just plug both cords into the unit. Have never blown a breaker. After I read this thread I went and looked at my box and the breakers on it were 20 amps. If your's are ten amps there is something wrong. If they are in fact 10 amp breakers let me know and I'll send you 2-20 amp breakers. Here in Cali the dryers are 30 amp 230 volts.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
johns-mytee boxes are awsome and the best bang for the buck period. i have the bigger expensive spider boxes and almost 100% of the i defer to the easier setup - mytee. the only reason to bring out the other boxes is when we need a hardwire other than that always MYTEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Name
Nate W.
John LaBarbera said:
[quote="steve g":lsd15g1m]I have been using my mytee box for a few years, it only has 2-20 amp breakers that split from 220, most of the time I find the breakers tripped even if I have only been running 15 amps through each, I think the breakers are only good for about 10 amps each. I have been looking at the cobb box, it looks simpler and offers 4 20 amp plugs. it is also priced attractively. other units are a larger yellow box that looks like they need a ton of adapters and cords to make them work, they cost over $400 and that is without all the adapters and cords. is anyone using the cobb power box?? what is the best option for a distribution box.

I use the Mytee 230 volt power adapter at my house when my wife wants me to clean the carpets. I just plug both cords into the unit. Have never blown a breaker. After I read this thread I went and looked at my box and the breakers on it were 20 amps. If your's are ten amps there is something wrong. If they are in fact 10 amp breakers let me know and I'll send you 2-20 amp breakers. Here in Cali the dryers are 30 amp 230 volts.[/quote:lsd15g1m]

Class act John.

I've had some older boxes unknown where they came from. I do know i'd get a nice zap once in a while. :shock: It has the dryer plug with a green cord with a clip on the end to ground it to something. Maybe that's the causes for the way I am now. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing....... :lol:

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
It has the dryer plug with a green cord with a clip on the end to ground it to something. Maybe that's the causes for the way I am now. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing.......

that's because there are different types of outlets depending on the age of the home....
the older style have 2 hots and a neutral ground........ the newer homes have 2 hots a neutral and a physical ground.......If you were getting the full load amps from the house panel you would not be getting a "nice zap".you would be getting knocked on your ass........

93149-main_Full.jpg

Newman

Name
Chris Newman
A dryer / stove outlet which is rated at 230 volt, 40 amps has 2 legs of 115 volt power, each wtih a 40 amp breaker. These breakers are tandemed with a connecting bar so they will trip in unison.

The well formulated splitter boxes seperate these 2 legs of 115, @ 40 amps each, giving the BDCC a rated 80 amps @ 115 volts of service to run our gear.

Old worn out breakers will trip well before they reach full load.

Thou shall not run any circuit over 80% of rated capacity.

Nate - Connect that green wire to an earth ground. Pound in a 10' copper stake into the ground, attach it to a steel water inlet pipe before the meter. No ground is no fun.

Sparky

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
The well formulated splitter boxes seperate these 2 legs of 115, @ 40 amps each, giving the BDCC a rated 80 amps @ 115 volts of service to run our gear.

will someone please explain to me how it is possible to get 40 amps off of a 20 amp breaker in a distribution box......

Name
John LaBarbera
Jim Martin said:
It has the dryer plug with a green cord with a clip on the end to ground it to something. Maybe that's the causes for the way I am now. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing.......

that's because there are different types of outlets depending on the age of the home....
the older style have 2 hots and a neutral ground........ the newer homes have 2 hots a neutral and a physical ground.......If you were getting the full load amps from the house panel you would not be getting a "nice zap".you would be getting knocked on your ass........

93149-main_Full.jpg

Mytee's kit include both of these (2) types of plugs. All for $179.00 msrp. Not a bad price tag for what you get.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
Jim Martin said:

will someone please explain to me how it is possible to get 40 amps off of a 20 amp breaker in a distribution box......

me thinks they think, are adding them together, 2 20 amp breakers must surly give me 40 amps...

guys figure it like this...

just cuz you hook up 2 36 blowers in unisen, does not mean you would get the full 500 cfm at the end (just a thrown out number) of a 150' hose run. Now add in more hose (resistance) and it is cut back farther....now add in a splitter with some 1.5 hose, a few small lipped stair wands. And now you have popped the vac relief..(breaker) you cant just keep adding stuff at a distance and think your getting your FULL CFM/AMPs at the end of the run/tool..... yes you would get slightly more running 2 blowers, but its still not a true value...

Did i get it right Jim???

steve g

Name
steve garrett
Jim Martin said:

will someone please explain to me how it is possible to get 40 amps off of a 20 amp breaker in a distribution box......[/quote

jim you are making things more confusing, if the distribution box has 4 20 amp breakers like the cobb box does. basically from what I can see the cobb box is 2 mytee units in one bascially, although it does run off one cord you can run 20 amps off each breaker in the distribution box. however I checked my dryer plug and it has twin 30 amp breakers, so that tells me if I tried to run the cobb box all out then I would end up tripping the 220 breaker on the house panel. since the 2 breakers are tied together, if I overload one leg, it trips both as a safety feature. my thoughts are in order to use the cobb box you need to know pretty close what draw your equipment is putting on the system, you should also see if you have twin 40 amp or twin 30 amp breakers to power up the box, and stay within about 90% of the ratings of those. I think I am going to pull the trigger on the cobb box and see how I like it.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
Ok let's just say you had 2 outlets. In a hall that were on 2 seperate circuts. You still only have 2 20 amp circuts to use.

Or let's. Say you have 4 outlets on a room. Just because they are 20 amp outlets does not mean you get 80 amps

The 4 20 amps is the fail safe. Doesn't mean you get 80 total. Means you get up to 20 on each but no more then the 30-50 total.

Does that make sense?

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
steve g said:
[quote="Jim Martin":2lxfe0au]

will someone please explain to me how it is possible to get 40 amps off of a 20 amp breaker in a distribution box......[/quote

jim you are making things more confusing, if the distribution box has 4 20 amp breakers like the cobb box does. basically from what I can see the cobb box is 2 mytee units in one bascially, although it does run off one cord you can run 20 amps off each breaker in the distribution box. however I checked my dryer plug and it has twin 30 amp breakers, so that tells me if I tried to run the cobb box all out then I would end up tripping the 220 breaker on the house panel. since the 2 breakers are tied together, if I overload one leg, it trips both as a safety feature. my thoughts are in order to use the cobb box you need to know pretty close what draw your equipment is putting on the system, you should also see if you have twin 40 amp or twin 30 amp breakers to power up the box, and stay within about 90% of the ratings of those. I think I am going to pull the trigger on the cobb box and see how I like it.[/quote:2lxfe0au]

Good luck.let me know how it works for ya............

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
floorguy said:
Ok let's just say you had 2 outlets. In a hall that were on 2 seperate circuts. You still only have 2 20 amp circuts to use.

Or let's. Say you have 4 outlets on a room. Just because they are 20 amp outlets does not mean you get 80 amps

The 4 20 amps is the fail safe. Doesn't mean you get 80 total. Means you get up to 20 on each but no more then the 30-50 total.

Does that make sense?

you almost brought a tear to my eye........the box is only RATED for said amount of amps.But if there is a 20 amp breaker tied to the outlet........that is all you are going to get.........I just don't understand what is so hard about this........

think of it this way...........if your panel box is a 200 amp service..and you have a outlet next to your bed and it is running off a 20 amp breaker.......does it mean that that outlet can handle 200 amps..??.........NO... because the 200 amps are broken down with a 20 amp breaker in the panel box and only allowing 20 amps to feed the that outlet...The only thing that the panel box that hangs on your house is.... is nothing but a distribution box.....once you start distributing the 200 amps buy using different size breakers.then what ever size breaker you use is the only amps you will get out of it.........

Name
Nate W.
Jim Martin said:

93149-main_Full.jpg

Roger that, it was the 3prong plugs. My pops told me the same thing too. When I used the RV powerwand before, some houses would also shock me when using it too.
:lol: :lol:

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
On this topic...is there a distribution box that I can get that taps into the main box for larger catastrophes that causes me to relocate the homeowners?

steve g

Name
steve garrett
good hell!!!! you guys are walking in circles grabbing your tail, I never said because you have more outlets you get more amps or total amps whatever, if you have 6 outlets on one 20 amp breaker you still only have 20 amps, so you could draw all 20 from one outlet or you could run something that draws 3.3 amps off each outlet. for one thing I set up tons of equipment nearly daily on houses, getting 25 air movers, 2 dehus, an air scrubber running in a basement takes more than just a little knowledge of electrical systems, so I am not a dumbass.

the cobb box has 4 outlets each one has a SEPARATE 20 amp breaker on each outlet, at least that is what their website says. however I don't think I have ever seen a 20 amp extension cord splitter, even the thick ones are 15 amps, so it looks to me like you are going to be stuck with only pulling 60 total amps max, from the box, that being 2 30 amp breakers on the dryer plug phased together. the twin 40s from the range plug isn't really going to mean more juice.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
your best bet is the Mytee box with 2 independent outlets that are tied to each independent breakers......that will give you a stronger 20 amps.......you can run one from the range and one from the dryer........you are only splitting 2 legs on the 30...40..50....amp breaker....so how cobb is wiring 2 breakers on each leg will drop the voltage more...........I don't know what else to tell ya...I tried to help you understand why you are popping your breakers..and tried to figure out what to do to help you.......I think that trying to type this is probably the wrong way of doing this......I may be reading what you are saying wrong or you may be reading what I am saying wrong...so if you keep having a problem...just call me and maybe it can make more since to each other............

0511-0702-0211-2545.png

SRI Cleaning

Name
Anthony Firmani
steve g said:

YES! you are pulling 2 legs of 120 at 40 amps each. You do have 80 amps of 120 available. or 40 amps of 240.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom