cobb power distrubution box

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
SRI Cleaning said:
[quote="steve g":32q7n3bu]jim your not being as clear as you need to be,I just checked my breaker box at home and it has twin 40 amp breakers that power my range plug. I then install cobbs power box on the range plug, does this give me a theoretical 80 amps of 110 power?? so you are saying due to cords and other inefficiencies I loose say 7 or 8 amps off this total. so I have 70ish amps of power to run what I want, so if each air mover draws 5 amps is it reasonable to expect to run 14 air movers at least in the above scenario?? does the cobb box look like it can flow that kind of juice?? am I missing something.

as a side note in my experience in order to reliably load a 15 amp breaker I need to stay at around 13.5 or less rated amps with my equipment. with the example I gave in the last post about 10 air movers on two 25 amp breakers in a 220 arrangement you are claiming I am only going to be able to run 4 or 5 in the real world situation, that is half the rated power, I don't believe this is accurate in my experience.

YES! you are pulling 2 legs of 120 at 40 amps each. You do have 80 amps of 120 available. or 40 amps of 240.[/quote:32q7n3bu]

so then why will a 20 amp breaker trip if you go over its rated amps ..??

SRI Cleaning

Name
Anthony Firmani
Jim Martin said:
[quote="SRI Cleaning":12wt4e7t][quote="steve g":12wt4e7t]jim your not being as clear as you need to be,I just checked my breaker box at home and it has twin 40 amp breakers that power my range plug. I then install cobbs power box on the range plug, does this give me a theoretical 80 amps of 110 power?? so you are saying due to cords and other inefficiencies I loose say 7 or 8 amps off this total. so I have 70ish amps of power to run what I want, so if each air mover draws 5 amps is it reasonable to expect to run 14 air movers at least in the above scenario?? does the cobb box look like it can flow that kind of juice?? am I missing something.

as a side note in my experience in order to reliably load a 15 amp breaker I need to stay at around 13.5 or less rated amps with my equipment. with the example I gave in the last post about 10 air movers on two 25 amp breakers in a 220 arrangement you are claiming I am only going to be able to run 4 or 5 in the real world situation, that is half the rated power, I don't believe this is accurate in my experience.

YES! you are pulling 2 legs of 120 at 40 amps each. You do have 80 amps of 120 available. or 40 amps of 240.[/quote:12wt4e7t]

so then why will a 20 amp breaker trip if you go over its rated amps ..??[/quote:12wt4e7t]

well if you put a 20 amp breaker in the line, it will trip at or around20 amps. but it you take 40 amps of 220 (split it to 80 amps of 120) then you can have 4 20 amp breakers for a total of 80 avail amps at 120.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
well if you put a 20 amp breaker in the line, it will trip at or around20 amps. but it you take 40 amps of 220 (split it to 80 amps of 120) then you can have 4 20 amp breakers for a total of 80 avail amps at 120

this is very true........IN THE BOX.......but coming out of the box to your outlets you will only have 20 amps because that is what the outlet breaker is rated for...if you ran 100 amps to a box and hooked it up to a 20 amp breaker and then hooked the breaker to an outlet....you will have a box that is holding 100 amps but you only get to play with 20 of those amps because of the 20 amp breaker..............

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
SRI Cleaning said:
[quote="steve g":3fltp32w]jim your not being as clear as you need to be,I just checked my breaker box at home and it has twin 40 amp breakers that power my range plug. I then install cobbs power box on the range plug, does this give me a theoretical 80 amps of 110 power?? so you are saying due to cords and other inefficiencies I loose say 7 or 8 amps off this total. so I have 70ish amps of power to run what I want, so if each air mover draws 5 amps is it reasonable to expect to run 14 air movers at least in the above scenario?? does the cobb box look like it can flow that kind of juice?? am I missing something.

YES! you are pulling 2 legs of 120 at 40 amps each. You do have 80 amps of 120 available. or 40 amps of 240.[/quote:3fltp32w]

so by that logic my dryer or oven is pulling upwards of 60-100 amps (depending on the twin breaker setup)

your outa your friggen mind..

SRI Cleaning

Name
Anthony Firmani
Jim Martin said:
well if you put a 20 amp breaker in the line, it will trip at or around20 amps. but it you take 40 amps of 220 (split it to 80 amps of 120) then you can have 4 20 amp breakers for a total of 80 avail amps at 120

this is very true........IN THE BOX.......but coming out of the box to your outlets you will only have 20 amps because that is what the outlet breaker is rated for...if you ran 100 amps to a box and hooked it up to a 20 amp breaker and then hooked the breaker to an outlet....you will have a box that is holding 100 amps but you only get to play with 20 of those amps because of the 20 amp breaker..............

Right, I was just talking about a theoretical box with 4 20 amp breakers drawing from a 40 or 50 amp 220 line.

SRI Cleaning

Name
Anthony Firmani
floorguy said:
SRI Cleaning said:
[quote="steve g":36kp9ryg]jim your not being as clear as you need to be,I just checked my breaker box at home and it has twin 40 amp breakers that power my range plug. I then install cobbs power box on the range plug, does this give me a theoretical 80 amps of 110 power?? so you are saying due to cords and other inefficiencies I loose say 7 or 8 amps off this total. so I have 70ish amps of power to run what I want, so if each air mover draws 5 amps is it reasonable to expect to run 14 air movers at least in the above scenario?? does the cobb box look like it can flow that kind of juice?? am I missing something.

YES! you are pulling 2 legs of 120 at 40 amps each. You do have 80 amps of 120 available. or 40 amps of 240.

so by that logic my dryer or oven is pulling upwards of 60-100 amps (depending on the twin breaker setup)

your outa your friggen mind..[/quote:36kp9ryg]

No im not, if you dryer is drawing 30 amps at 220, then it is using 30 amps on each of the 120 lines. It is not drawing 60 amps because y9ou are doubling the voltage. It is drawing, or has the ability to draw 30 amps times 2. 30 on each hot line, and 30 from each of the twineed breakers.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom