Cobb TM owners:

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
how does the machine cool the hx'er if you want to do upholstery or wool?

curious of that too.
what happens if you set the wand down for extended periods while tabing/blocking or other non-flow times??
If no dumping into the waste tank, does it dump excessive hot water on the ground??

..L.T.A.

Mike Draper

Why would someone in Florida drive all the way to Texas to get a Cobb unit, when TCS is closer?

Or, has Larry got someone selling his machines in Florida?

Why would someone who lives in Florida not buy a Judson? Made from stainless steel while others aren't. Anyone can fix them. No proprietary parts. Simple, long lasting machines.

Reactions: FB7777
F

FB7777

Gotta agree with both Marty and Mike Draper on this one, makes way more sense to buy and service units locally

I use Butlers cause I'm a mechanical moron and they are employee friendly

realclean

Name
Jesse Lowe
I've had my Cobb unit for about 9 years now. Only very little down time. They do take up a large foot print in the van and are kinda loud. I will say that they are easy to work on. As far as lowering the temp for upholstery, you can do the upholstery first before it has time to get too hot or lower the RPM's for a lower temp. By the way mine is a DC400 with a
27 hp Kohler engine.

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
Gotta agree with both Marty and Mike Draper on this one, makes way more sense to buy and service units locally

I use Butlers cause I'm a mechanical moron and they are employee friendly

I hear you on that one. However, after having my van sitting at a shop for 3 weeks waiting on someone to get to it, I need to be able to get it up and running myself. That is why I will not buy another machine that is hard to work on. Having parts underneath the machine that need to be serviced or replaced is not smart. I don't think that machines should need a computer hooked up to it to work on it.

Total_Rookie

Name
Joseph Torrez
i love e*z truckmounts nick also makes units for cobb carpet cleaning i could of got a 20 hp kohler 2000 psi pump for 7500 + electric hose reel hoses everything but i decided to by the used hydramaster cross fire 4.2 for 5400 saved the money and banked it

That was a great deal, and everything was brand new with a stainless steel waste tank.

You probably won't admit to regretting that you passed on that offer.

Reactions: falcans

gtech12v

If the price for the ** was for a new unit including the electric reel for $7500 and you paid $5400 for a use unit not a good choice
** unit have more heat than the hydramaster and are build with stainless steel

falcans

Name
Richard
If the price for the ** was for a new unit including the electric reel for $7500 and you paid $5400 for a use unit not a good choice
** unit have more heat than the hydramaster and are build with stainless steel

i had to figure something out i may work the bugs out of this hydramaster and sell my truck and unit and go with nicks machine i was looking for something used that wasn't very expensive.

gtech12v

I rebuild TM's the Cobb's design are missing a Heat exchanger diverter, temperature valve to protect the water pump from heat,temperarure valve control , industrial blower silencer and a better blower plumbing

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
'
We build better engineered Truckmounts . . .

Diverters allow heat exchangers to cool off,
when exhaust is diverted into silencers . . .

Our General water pumps pump cold water, and have Teflon plunger seals to allow plenty of bypass time, without water flow . . .

Temperature valves just waste Heat Exchanger BTU's, by dumping water into recovery tanks . . .

The "industrial blower silencers" are made of steel, and start rusting and restricting the blower exhaust within a few months . . .

Dynachem was the pioneer in using 100%-stainless silencers to resist corrosion.

Dynachem Blower plumbing is 2.375" minimum for only about 20" of flow length.
(How many 50' lengths of 2" I.D. vac hose is used on typical cleaning jobs?))

All other TM's have more restrictive silencers (before rusting starts),

and more restrictive recovery tank flow characteristics (filter and baffles),
than the Dynachem design.

Larry

Last edited:

gtech12v

'

when exhaust is diverted into silencers . . . That's the job of a diverter when doing water extraction

Our General water pumps pump cold water, and have Teflon plunger seals to allow plenty of bypass time, without water flow . . . Water heats faster than you think a temperature relief valve will make the pump last longer no good for the repair business

Temperature valves just waste Heat Exchanger BTU's, by dumping water into recovery tanks . . . The combination of diverter and large water box will keep water dumping to a minimum and will give you a temperature control does your unit has a temperature control for lower heat cleaning

The "industrial blower silencers" are made of steel, and start rusting and restricting the blower exhaust within a few months . . . Heavy duty steel build to keep the blower sound level down this is where most of the machine noise is generated after 10 years there isn't any rust on my silencer

Dynachem was the pioneer in using 100%-stainless silencers to resist corrosion. I agree but they need to have thicker construction a thin metal will amplified resonance

(How many 50' lengths of 2" I.D. vac hose is used on typical cleaning jobs?)) I was looking at one of the units the way is plumbed it has more elbows than needed to maximize the CFM transfer take a look at a Judson unit the blower is as close as possible to the tank

All other TM's have more restrictive silencers (before rusting starts), not all others let's keep it real

than the Dynachem design. I'm not saying your machine is bad I like the way is build I was just pointing some stuff that IMO will make this unit way better than it is now for example the HX needs to be as close as posible to the exhaust of the engine to capture as much heat as possible , pump clutch is a must for water extraction it will extend the life of the pump I really like the way the components sit on a plataform with the rubber shocks Larry please forgive me if on any form my comments had offended you it was not my intention I'm not claiming that I know everything ,I just know as a cleaner what I like to see on a machine for every day use have a great day.

Larry

Last edited by a moderator:

gtech12v

'

when exhaust is diverted into silencers . . .

That's the job of a diverter when doing water extraction

Our General water pumps pump cold water, and have Teflon plunger seals to allow plenty of bypass time, without water flow . . .

Water heats faster than you think a temperature relief valve will make the pump last longer no good for the repair business

Temperature valves just waste Heat Exchanger BTU's, by dumping water into recovery tanks . . .

The combination of diverter and large water box will keep water dumping to a minimum(directing water dumping to the fresh water tank is a very effective ) and will give you a temperature control
does your unit has a temperature control for lower heat cleaning

The "industrial blower silencers" are made of steel, and start rusting and restricting the blower exhaust within a few months . . .

Heavy duty steel build to keep the blower sound level down this is where most of the machine noise is generated after 10 years there isn't any rust on my silencer , the silencer is deign to the blowers CFM out put they are not restricting exhaust

Dynachem was the pioneer in using 100%-stainless silencers to resist corrosion.

I agree but they need to have thicker construction a thin metal will amplified resonance

(How many 50' lengths of 2" I.D. vac hose is used on typical cleaning jobs?))

I was looking at one of the units the way is plumbed it has more elbows than needed to maximize the CFM transfer take a look at a Judson unit the blower is as close as possible to the tank

All other TM's have more restrictive silencers (before rusting starts),

not all others let's keep it real

than the Dynachem design.

I'm not saying your machine is bad I like the way is build I was just pointing some stuff that IMO will make this unit way better than it is now for example the HX needs to be as close as posible to the exhaust of the engine to capture as much heat as possible , pump clutch is a must for water extraction it will extend the life of the pump I really like the way the components sit on a plataform with the rubber shocks Larry please forgive me if in any form my comments had offended you it was not my intention I'm not claiming that I know everything ,I just know as a cleaner what I like to see on a machine for every day use have a great day.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Larry, you didn't answer my question..
what safety mechanism/devise is used to prevent a dangerous over heated water condition when no water is flowing thru wand or tools?

if none, I presume it can't be used for flood extraction?
(when a TM may be running for hours with no flow)

Also, if no safety/by-pass mechanism, isn't that a serious liability concern?
aren't you worried some retard will 'splode the damn thing??

Thanks

..L.T.A.

Last edited:
Name
Bruce
My truck mount has no by pass system on it , Carpet wand and upholstery wand both have by pass valves to keep the water flowing when I set the wands down. If i'm doing water extraction then I unhook my pressure line and connect a hose that will allow the water to run back into the fresh water tank. If I set my wand down I only have to crack the valve just a little. Maybe this is how it's done with Larry's machines.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
My truck mount has no by pass system on it , Carpet wand and upholstery wand both have by pass valves to keep the water flowing when I set the wands down. If i'm doing water extraction then I unhook my pressure line and connect a hose that will allow the water to run back into the fresh water tank. If I set my wand down I only have to crack the valve just a little. Maybe this is how it's done with Larry's machines.

thanks Bruce .
i know some have installed a by-pass gizmo on their wand ...
and that might be fine for a conscientious owner/op like yourself or Jay DeLaughter (the first I ever saw a by-pass gizmo'd wand )
, but i think it a recipe for disaster for some outfits

side note, where is Jay?...hope he's doing well...he's a good dude

Larry, is there any kind of fail safe pressure relief valve in the system?
I'm assuming you saw Albert Lazo's totaled van some years ago??

..L.T.A.

FredC

Village Idiot
hxplumb.jpg

http://www.cobbcarpet.com/hx55.html

MattLimbach

Name
Matt Limbach
I dont own one of larrys' machines, but from what I understand, the blower exhaust runs through the heat exchanger. This is what regulates the temperature.
The water cannot get any hotter than the blower exhaust, approx 240f.

So as long as the blower is turning the temp at the machine would never exceed 240ish.
No need for diverter,sensors,bypass, etc.

The reason it is able to maintain high temps while cleaning, etc, is that the exchanger is is quite large,holds large volume of water.

Like I said. I dont own one, but it sure does seem quite simple ,and probably safer than most heat exchange systems.

Most heat exchangers have more components that could fail and cause safety issues,explosions burns,blown hoses etc. Diverters ,sensors etc,can fail.

I think larry has come up with a very smart, efficient, and I believe safer than most, system.
Now if we could maybe get it in stainless like Judson.

If I bought a new machine today, I would want a Judson with larrys heat exchange. Seriously.

realclean

Name
Jesse Lowe
I'm with Matt if Judson would make a heat exchange unit, I too would be very interested. The Cobb unit is good, but it could be better.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Seems like a simple design I wonder why Judson doesn't build a HX like it?

Could be limited by flow and pressure washing temps.

But simple .

Question the repairability by either cutting stuff off or trying to unscrew the piping connected.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Larry, you didn't answer my question..
what safety mechanism/devise is used to prevent a dangerous over heated water condition when no water is flowing thru wand or tools?

if none, I presume it can't be used for flood extraction?
(when a TM may be running for hours with no flow)

Also, if no safety/by-pass mechanism, isn't that a serious liability concern?
aren't you worried some retard will 'splode the damn thing??

Thanks

..L.T.A.

Larry;

With 2 QC's you can bypass the entire HX . . .

and water extract all day without a pump clutch.

Thanks, Matt for your understanding . . .

Larry

PS. Jimmy - they are repairable

Last edited:

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge

Well, now, that sounds like a huge PITA. I run an older Genesis, 2003, with HX's and can set the wand down for 10-15 minutes if I had to without over heating. Pick it up and continue cleaning at 230*. Oh, I've had overheat problems with it over the years, but have corrected any problems and she run's fine right now. As for extracting, I turn the temp down and it never heats up...turn the pump off and no problem in that system. Larry's PM the same. No heat if the kero heater is off, and the pump is off.

Name
Bruce
Well, now, that sounds like a huge PITA. I run an older Genesis, 2003, with HX's and can set the wand down for 10-15 minutes if I had to without over heating. Pick it up and continue cleaning at 230*. Oh, I've had overheat problems with it over the years, but have corrected any problems and she run's fine right now. As for extracting, I turn the temp down and it never heats up...turn the pump off and no problem in that system. Larry's PM the same. No heat if the kero heater is off, and the pump is off.
hmm, What part of it do you think is a PITA ? the valves on the wands or hooking up the by pass hose? neither takes more then a second to do.

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
I called nick in texas and inquired about making a fuel heated model for me. I already have a northstar diesal /kero heater so all I need is a motor , pump , and blower mounted on a frame with pressute regulator and a muffler. He quoted me 8500 for this with a 47 blower and 40 horse kohler. I think for the money and power I wont do much better than this for a dual wand capable machine

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom