Cologne odor issue

Mikey P

Administrator
Advice?

"
Thanks, Mike! I might have ended up in the wrong place- I'm not a professional, but I'm seeking advice from professionals.
We recently had my 23 year old nephew house/dog sit for us and god love him- he uses an awful spray cologne and far too much of it. We came home to a house that smells like the store you pass (and avoid) in the malls.
I am immune compromised and very very sensitive to any fragrance, chemical or otherwise, so it's actually causing me a lot of respiratory problems being in the house now. After 6 days, the smell has not dissipated at all and I swear it's getting worse. I've cleaned everything I could (linens, curtains, etc) but I'm wondering if carpet cleaning is the only way to really get the smell out - and is there any guarantee that will work? Should we investigate ozone or hydroxyl generators? We can't really leave the house, which is why I thought hydroxyl. Anyway, I'm not opposed to hiring a professional to help, but if there is something obvious we should try before doing so- I'm all ears!
Any suggestions?"
Kate

FredC

Village Idiot
41YLdsqPHlL_1024x1024.jpg

FredC

Village Idiot
obviously you can't guarantee it....for all you know he went around spraying the ceiling ....or the air filter to get rid of the weed smell but I guess it could be the carpet/furniture

and you don't know how super sensitive her nose is or if she will imagine the smell afterwards (not saying she is now).....6 days is a long time for "cologne" to stay....maybe if he was burning oils or heavily sprayed something like a chair

I'd say ozone but they can't leave...no experience with hydroxyl

open the windows, burp the house, and try and locate the source

Last edited:

darcie smith

Name
darcie smith
When people have weird smells in their house we often recommend ductwork cleaning, but I don’t think that would help for cologne unless he did what Fred said and sprayed it on the filter. Maybe have her ask a friend with a clear nose to come see if they can pinpoint whether the smell is stronger in any particular place to get an idea where to start

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
obviously you can't guarantee it....for all you know he went around spraying the ceiling ....or the air filter to get rid of the weed smell but I guess it could be the carpet/furniture

and you don't know how super sensitive her nose is or if she will imagine the smell afterwards (not saying she is now).....6 days is a long time for "cologne" to stay....maybe if he was burning oils or heavily sprayed something like a chair

I'd say ozone but they can't leave...no experience with hydroxyl

open the windows, burp the house, and try and locate the source

Fred should have been in law enforcement....

Yeah that kid is covering up weed. If Kate could have a “Truth and Reconciliation” event with the kid, with a promise of total immunity, it would help. That smell could probably be knocked out with ozone, but if the kid would be able to show where he sprayed it, you could target the areas with one of the oft discussed chlorine dioxide products and it would handle the issue.

Then ventilation will do the rest.

Short of confession, they should wash all the surfaces with an alkaline wall washing compound (breaks the oily film form the spray), then ozone and ventilation.

I can think of a candidate for the washing job :icon_twisted:

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
When people have weird smells in their house we often recommend ductwork cleaning, but I don’t think that would help for cologne unless he did what Fred said and sprayed it on the filter. Maybe have her ask a friend with a clear nose to come see if they can pinpoint whether the smell is stronger in any particular place to get an idea where to start
Oh ohh....that's Marty ...he seems to have his nose up ever bodys bidness

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom