Color Loss Causes and Solutions?

AlienAgent

Name
Joe Gingerich
I have an issue that I would like some opinions on…

I have an urgent care that I’ve cleaned quarterly for about 12 years now. The carpets are about 14-15 years old and have slowly taken on a bleached out appearance over majority of the square footage, except in areas where nobody ever walks and under the mats, as the years roll by.

This is a small (under 1000ft2) area that receives heavy foot traffic from a staff of 5-7 and 50-60 patients per day plus their family members.

I had passing thoughts that maybe this was a result of something I’ve been doing, but I clean every square foot of this place -including where there is zero color loss. Based on that, I don’t think it’s from my cleaning procedures or products.

* Some of the products I’ve used in the past (8-12 years ago) are:
ChemMeisters Grease Eraser, ProChem Power Strike, PowerBurst, Dry Slurry, All Fiber Rinse.

And more recently (7-3 years ago) : Esteam Suspend, Esteam Performance CBS, ProChem All Fiber Rinse

And in the past 3 years to present: Esteam Suspend and CBS, Encapstore Awesome and Angry Lemon, Encapstore Go Oxy

The cleanings have been HWE using the Judson up until about 3 years ago, when I started incorporating more VLM procedures into my business.

Bottom line, what is causing this and what can I do to remedy the issue or is this just a rip and replace situation? The owner doesn’t really care either way, but I’ve not seen this anywhere else and it honestly drives me nuts every time I go clean it.

* pics of the outside entry surface, color contrast between traffic areas and under mat area, and some goofy discoloration happening on some carpet on the other side of the building.

CD671585-09BA-40C5-8A07-147EE98F5643.jpeg BB351C57-E701-4C1C-8630-3B19347E5041.jpeg 7DB02A72-FA74-4B15-8338-296E41AA4420.jpeg 32CD4595-CA53-4388-A092-07F43648D273.jpeg

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Any of the oxy cleaners will cause color loss over time. It will be accelerated by sunshine through windows. Especially if you have used oxy spotters in certain areas. Nothing you can do outside of re-dyeing. Oxy encaps are great for coffee or water and other beverage stains but they are a low level bleach and over time can cause color loss

AlienAgent

Name
Joe Gingerich
Do any of those liquid oxy vlm chems have any optical brighteners hiding in them?
Not sure, can’t get California product ingredient disclosure sheets. Unbleached areas underneath the mats have been cleaned exactly like the bleached looking areas.

Last edited:
Reactions: BIG WOOD

AlienAgent

Name
Joe Gingerich
Pic 2 says it's uv damage

If pic 1 is where a mat also normally sits then it's 100% uv damage.

Carpet uglies out before it wears out.. kinda like.. nvm
That second pic is a different type of carpet on the other side of the small building. I definitely think that could be UV damage. That specific carpet has actually only been cleaned a few times over the years. They rarely used that side of the building and when they did it was very low volume of traffic.

The carpet almost looks like it’s turning black from the bottom of the pile and migrating up over time, when you see it in person.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
I agree it's just worn out.
I don't think any peroxide type cleaners will bleach it out.

Reactions: AlienAgent

AlienAgent

Name
Joe Gingerich
Where is Chris Howell when you need him?

That place would look lovely in a bold purple
Lol! It would certainly match the “new” chairs they have in there now!

I’ve actually been thinking about asking to dye it at some super low price, for the hands on experience, if they ever decide to replace the carpet.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Not sure, can’t get California product ingredient disclosure sheets. Unbleached areas underneath the mats have been cleaned exactly like the bleached looking areas.
I've seen off gassing under plastic matts but there would be color loss there.

AlienAgent

Name
Joe Gingerich
So they run any ozone machines off hours???
Thats the first thing my wife asked when she saw the carpet in that place. She’s in healthcare and said a bunch of places are doing that now. I’ll ask when I drop off the key and bill.

Reactions: SamIam

sassyotto

Name
Paul
this may or may not be true but over the 4o plus years of cleaning and classes I kinda remember something along the lines that the blue dye is the one that fades that fastest whether its blue siding or blue carpet. Maybe? Experts chime in...

Name
Nate W.
this may or may not be true but over the 4o plus years of cleaning and classes I kinda remember something along the lines that the blue dye is the one that fades that fastest whether its blue siding or blue carpet. Maybe? Experts chime in...

It's still alive and well.. Blue is the first color to ozone or photo fade.. Anywhere air touches it.. Sun fade is from direct sunlight.. I see it from carpets, fabric, rugs..

Some customers love to argue what the original color of the carpet..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom