Notice Color Repair - Whole Room Dyeing?

Color Repair - Whole Room Dyeing or Just Spots?

• How many of you offer color repair services?

Votes: 9 32.1%
  • Are you spot dyeing?

Votes: 11 39.3%
  • Whole room dyeing?

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Repairing color damage to expensive oriental rugs

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • No way not even with Tony's crayons..

Votes: 16 57.1%

• Total voters

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
In the 1970's and 1980's, color repair ("spot dyeing") and whole room dyeing were specialty services, but it wasn't unusual to have a few cleaners who did it in each market area. Back in those days, it wasn't uncommon for a distributor of cleaning products to have dyes on their shelves right next to the spotters, presprays, protector, deodorizers, etc.

Back in the days of dark blue, green, and brown nylon carpet, all of which would easily be damaged by bleach or sunfading, it made sense to offer this service.

Over the years, the move toward lighter colors and then more lately PET and PPT seems to have put those dyeing services by the wayside, yet I'm seeing the idea of diversifying into these services promoted once more by a few individuals who specialize in this type of training.

How many of you offer color repair services? Are you spot dyeing, whole room dyeing, repairing color damage to expensive oriental rugs?

To be clear, I'm not one of the people offering this training, nor do I intend to do it myself in the future.

Reactions: Kellie Hiler

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I took the classes. I do offer the spot dye repair, not whole areas.
Usually, since I want to make at least my normal hourly rate, clients are not willing to spend the money.

Saw a post here (on MB) of a guy that was offering a quick way to match dyes (no, not the Pro Choice little dye plastic containers) that supposedly was offering a faster way to dye match and very easy and quick dye setting. Those of us that do dye repair, know that the gradual changes in color to reach the right match + the heat and set up are the time consuming element that makes it expensive.

Therefore if indeed it worked as advertised and allowed me to make my hourly, I'd be interested

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
It works quite well.
But........it's time consuming.
Therefore.............clients do not line up to pay.
Combine that with...............my reluctance to get exposed to all the dust that collected on the dye kit box.
and it makes it...........................not work.

For me, that is. Mostly due to my allergic reaction to exertion.

Was this any better, brush head?

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Get out of here.
I mean I gotta get out of here, so that I can get some dinner.
Could be Japanese, Mexican, Pakistani, Chinese or Thai (the Korean is closed) or heavy meat American classic.

So, which is it?

P.S. I sincerely hope Jim is not under the impression that we derailed his thread.
Most of these restaurants, if I may point out, engage in the use of food dyes :winky:

Reactions: Desk Jockey
Name
Lee Stockwell
It doesn't fit my business model.

Haven taken classes several times since 1981 I haven't observed any real improvement in outcomes...just new guys making similar promises the forgotten old guys made.

Name
Nate W.
My mom is still considered the best in the islands when it comes to spot dyeing.... My pops started out as a Rainbow International franchise back in 1984... He did cleaning and dyeing... My pops can still dye whole rooms with a rotary and solution tank... He taught her what he learned and her as a perfectionist took it to another level... Eye droppers, sprayers, air brushing, Tony's crayons are all in the toolbox...

I personally don't have the patience for it and can't stand the clean up after dyeing whole rooms.... We do what they call feathering/blending for different carpet mills on new installations with a side match problem...

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
My mom is still considered the best in the islands when it comes to spot dyeing.... My pops started out as a Rainbow International franchise back in 1984... He did cleaning and dyeing... My pops can still dye whole rooms with a rotary and solution tank... He taught her what he learned and her as a perfectionist took it to another level... Eye droppers, sprayers, air brushing, Tony's crayons are all in the toolbox...

I personally don't have the patience for it and can't stand the clean up after dyeing whole rooms.... We do what they call feathering/blending for different carpet mills on new installations with a side match problem...
They are Artisians. :cool:

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I took the classes in the 1990's but never got off the ground with it. I just don't have the patience or the judgment to go along with it. I have seen some nice whole room jobs but some nightmares as well. I do a little coloring with oil pastel crayons. It's just temporary but can quickly improve fades or light bleach spots.

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Results can vary greatly depending on what has been tried PRIOR to a tech; inspecting the problem.

There are also dyes that must be applied to dry carpet, then there are those that can be applied to damp or wet carpet.

Wool or nylon, as well as (rare) wool/nylon blends, are the accepted fibers that have the dye sites required for the dyes to bond.

Using a particular type of crayon, with heat, man made fibers can also be dyed BUT, not always to a satisfactory level, especially considering time.

There are several scammers in the industry which I would avoid, especially if one lives in Utah, south of Orem. :winky:

SOME have been known to accept payment for goods, but never send them. :madd:

A lot of practice on various types, colors and patterns of carpet is essential to develop a greater understanding of this service.

Not unlike leather re-coloring, but more difficult to master.

Once mastered, it IS a very profitable business.

Don't believe all the hype that some "Professional" guys will spruke, there are also con-men amongst them. ;)

:yoda:

Reactions: Kellie Hiler

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
We recently entered the market. So far so good. Did a very high end wool carpet that paid for the training John took. Have another job booked for next week. I'll be taking the class this year as well.

Thank you Meg. One of the problems that I have had is that I remember the dye days of yesteryear (I am older than the dirt some of you clean out of carpet...), and fall into a paradigm that thinks that the shrinking nylon market and lesser contrast issues of bleach on light carpets means the service isn't relevant any longer.

For someone focusing on the upscale marketplace like you, I can see the value of this when the carpet has a high value (like wall to wall wool) and when you have the right technician. Any time I've talked to John about upholstery cleaning, I can tell he is both detail oriented and technically savvy. He's got the right mind set for this service.

I hope you get plenty more jobs like that one Meg.

Reactions: Shorty
Name
jack zerkie
I remember early 80,s a company Rainbow carpet cleaning was a franchise and had a lot of problems with the correct color match, not what the color chart showed. Some shag carpets never matched what the customer wanted. Don't know if rainbow is around anymore and I don,t think they sold rainbow vacuums. jz.

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Had three Rainbow vans here in Cairns.

Lasted maybe 4 years before going belly up.

Think there is only one still working in Australia, 1,500 miles south of me.

:yoda:

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
A year ago our techs insisted we get back into spot dyeing (after 35 years) as there was a crying need for it. Six months later we'd done a few jobs and made no money at all. So again, we don't offer spot dyeing.

If you work with Oriental rugs though, you should knows soemthing about dyes and color correction. Problems are common, and even if you have no interest in offering the service, you need to know enough to get out of trouble.

I remember early 80,s a company Rainbow carpet cleaning was a franchise and had a lot of problems with the correct color match, not what the color chart showed. Some shag carpets never matched what the customer wanted. Don't know if rainbow is around anymore and I don,t think they sold rainbow vacuums. jz.
Rainbow is a very successful carpet cleaning franchise that started with dyeing as their USP. They haven't offered the service for over twenty years... which ought to tell you something about the profitability of the service.

They are Artisians.
We have one of their wells.

Onfire_02_01

Name
Jeremy Gray
I have asked some of my property managers about it, and they don't want it. They would rather replace the carpet than recolor it. My residential customers have asked maybe 2-3 times in 8 years. These days carpet is too easy to replace. I am also of the mind that even if I recolor the carpet the problems of the traffic lanes are still there and now I have just changed the color and the "wear" is still present.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Color king used to do spots to whole houses. They hardly even clean carpets any more now it's just marble.
I used to spot repair and it paid well, I just sucked at it. I still have the yellow box and all the dyes. You just have to charge enough.

cu

Supportive Member
Name
Cu
I really enjoy color repair work. From my perspective apartments have shyed away from full room dying mostly because of poor work done before and to the pm it's easier to rent a unit with new carpet . And people are more demanding now then ever before. But spot dyes are still very acceptable when done well.

In houses we do very well with spot dyes . We charge $200 an hr and will do several jobs a month. Anything from a dime size to 4ft x4ft area . We also get referral work from other cleaners in our area to do work for thier customers.
Melody from americolor ,joe Appleby and Damien have sent me work....I think even Mikey sent me a job.

But I think you really have to enjoy this type of work .you can't rush it and do it right. Just got to take the time needed to do it.

In regards to training. Dye work just ain't that hard. Learn the basics . Practice and push your self to do better....then practice some more.

The funny thing for me. I was knocked back from the navy for being color blind.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom