Coloring Sealing Showers

boazcan

Name
Bryan C
What is the thought process on knowing whether to color seal a shower or not?

I have heard due to the moisture that the color seal has a shortened life. If you do choose to do it, then what are guidelines for dry time prior to sealing and curing time after it has been done?

What are some considerations on not to do the color seal and just clean it?

I never done a shower and know nothing about it.

Thanks for the help

S

Smart Choice Glenn

From what I know, use an acid cleaner to get all the soap scum and crap off the grout (and tiles).
With Grout Perfect, apply and leave for 2-3 days to fully cure, should be no problems.
I'm sure Craig will correct me if I am wrong.

Glenn

SJA

Showers can be colorsealed but you need to be very careful. I do not recommend doing it unless you are very experienced. The main problem with a shower is that oftentimes the homeowner wants a structural problem fixed with a clean and seal. Be careful not to make thier problems - yours.

I recommend having a complete understanding of how a shower pan works - this is the root of many problems in a shower. I think this knowledge will give you the ability to set a realistic level of expectation to custy. In all, it will give you the knowledge/ability to pass much of the liability on the install rather than the customer expecting you to solve a problem that can not be fixed - it is a maintenance issue.

The most important thing is to prep the surface before coloring. The ColorSeal needs to adhere to the grout, so if there is a wax, sealer, soap scum, etc...it needs to be completely removed.

If you insist on CS showers I would stick with the following to start and then move at your own pace. Stick with doing walls with sanded grout. I would not offer to CS the floors - just clean them and leave it. All the money is in the walls and the most likely call back is in the floor - so charge for the walls and give the floor away. If you do not charge for the floor, at least it will not be your problem.

safeclean

Great advice Steve

We offer color sealing for shower installs these days the floors and walls my customers love it but I give them NO warranty and I express that due to being a wet area.

For anyone thinking of getting into wet areas the main thing to know is when to color seal and when not to color seal if we can not color seal it than we will offer a re grout and than color seal, it does require three service calls but they pay the bills. My rule of thumb is not to seal if not 100% dry in and behind the wall and floors but we always have the customer sign a waver that way you are covered sometimes :roll:

If we suspect problems than we advice on other options like get a plumber or tear out we do this at the time of the pre inspection we also have a thermal imaging camera which comes in handy.

Our customers and myself have found it is easier to keep clean and maintain I try and also steer my customers into a darker shade color sealers to cut down on maintenance cleaning as lighter colors will show soils faster. I like to pass up on the nasty ones though as a tear out is the only option.

After cleaning the drying times will vary most usually take 48 hours with fan or dehum we leave over two nights or so before color sealing or grouting. When getting into cleaning and color sealing showers everything changers, dry floors are a lot easier but there is good money to make in showers on those quite days.

Craig

SJA

Craig you obviously have a great understanding of how a shower pan works / shower system. There is alot of money to be made with showers if you know what to watch out for and knowing how to set up your customer.

Good Luck

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom