Colour repair on Nylon

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Hi guys,

Feltex have a claim for a 4-5 year old nylon that is loosing colour in small areas. Some areas are just small spots while others are spread over a wider are but blotchy.

The Feltex rep has assumed responsibility saying it points to contaminated yarn and reduced take of the dyes.

Problem is, it appears to be two different issues from my initial inspection. Most areas it's just the very tips that have lost colour, but on one area, some of the spots are limited to 1 of the ply's and spirals down the tuft.

Anyway, I did the inspection, and took two tufts for playing with and also neutralised the carpet in preparation for re colouring.

Couple of questions, which way would you do it? Liquid or solid dyes?

I have a couple of weeks up my sleeve with me being on annual leave next week so have told them 2 weeks before I can return. They have been waiting a year from the initial request so that doesn't worry them.

If it wasn't so spread out, I'd just get yarn and retuft.

IMG_4855.jpg

IMG_4856.jpg

IMG_4857.jpg

IMG_4858.jpg

IMG_4863.jpg

IMG_4866.jpg

John

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
I'd use an airbrush.

The dye has to be liquid in order to go on... 8)

From the pinkish look of it, you should be able to use Gray with a very light touch of Green (or Blue and Yellow) added. The Gray would be a light to medium intensity.

Fon Johnson

I would just mix up a LIGHT blue and slowly build it with an eye dropper, and then tone down with a light grey if needed. Sometimes you just have to experiment. I wound up having to use dark brown on the tan carpet I did. Usually that would be WAY overboard, but the dye receptors have been damaged and I had to get really aggressive. A solid dye stick would probably work well too, if you have the right shade.

Back
Top Bottom