Commercial carpet repair ????

Larry B

Name
Larry Burrell
I have a customer with low level loop in a commercial building. The carpet is 4 months old and has burnes in 3 places.

I have told the customer I dont do repairs but they said if I buy the stuff I can try to repair their carpet.

My question is will a cookie cutter work for level loop or should it be cut?

There is no padding under this carpet does that change anything?

I have been reading all after noon on repair and watched all 50,000 videos from the boards and youtube but still have questions before I try this.

I am about to order the Kool Glide and tape from interlink, cookie cutter, seamer, knives and glue stuff from JonDon. Is there anything else I would need for small 1" dia burnes?

Thanks

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Hey Larry,

is it a CGD? (commercial glue down)

I'm reluctant to use a cookie cutter on any carpet, but especially one with loops that you will cut through and that will leave a gappy repair.

Honestly, duck into a carpet store and see if you can knock off, or buy a small offcut of a similar carpet and at home with a SHARP knife and duck bill napping shears, try cutting out along rows and then across rows between the gaps.

That way, you can make the repairs as big or small as you like.

I always try and get the repair as small as if physically possible.

In this case, if it is CGD, then you may be best using a hot melt glue gun, especially with the small size of the repair.

Harry may give a better reply regarding the install side of things with that being his forte.

John

Larry B

Name
Larry Burrell
Thanks John.

I am going to up some picks of the damage in about an hour. Is it hard to cut loop carpet from the top following the lines or is it better to pull the carpet up and work from the bottom?

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Teach yourself to do it from the top and your skills will have a far wider scope of use.

That, combined with the use of a KG, eliminate 99% of cases to uplift and reinstall.

The moment you uplift, you just dropped your profitability by half because of the extra time, tools etc taht you need IN THE HOME to complete the repair.

Having the tools and knowledge to uplift and re install is invaluable too so learn that as well as you get going.

John

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
Larry with a commercial piece. The easiest way to find a row is use a comb. Then use your scissors . top cutter or what you are comfortable with. Use a honey sealer (Commercial seam sealer) Or even weld lock seam sealer they Lowes. Most important seal your edge. This is a easy opportunity I really think you will find ease in the comb.

Larry B

Name
Larry Burrell
[imgurl=:m6c5sqfw]
carpet1.jpg
[/imgurl:m6c5sqfw]
carpet2.jpg
carpet3.jpg

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
Easy enough Larry . John and I gave you notions which ever you like. Do it the way, :D you need to feel comfortable while doing your repair good luck.

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
On that sort of carpet with those colourings, it should blend really easy and not be too noticable regardless of the finish on your repair.

Good one to start with I'd say.

John

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
Larry, good luck with the repair. I just started doing them myself, and now I find myself looking for places to do repairs as I walk through a house with a customer. Go for it and have a towel handy for all the sweat that you drip as you make the first cut.

Larry B

Name
Larry Burrell
Well I done my first carpet repair. I am far from a pro but I think it looks good and you cant even see it when standing.

At the end of the pens is where the chemical burns were in the carpet. Its the same burns from the top pictures in the post.

Let me know what you think.

carpetrepair00000.jpg

carpetrepair00001.jpg

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Larry, I don't believe you. :wink:

That's another section of carpet with no damage to it. :lol:

Bloody good job mate. :mrgreen:

Ooroo :roll:

Stevea

Larry,

Wonderful job, thanks for sharing with us, I am sure you have given some confidence to others as well as yourself. Please do share the method as John asked about.

This is really becoming a great interactive place, it is great to see ones starting out and accomplishing something they may never have thought of.

Very nice Larry

SA

Larry B

Name
Larry Burrell
There was 6 spots done last night.

After watching about 50 videos on utube for carpet repair I decided to use the following to get the job done.

After figuring how the pile was put together I cut about 1/2" around each spot, then marked the back of the cut piece so I knew what direction the piece came out.
I then put 3 layers of masking tape on the back of the damages piece and trimmed it to make a template of the damaged piece and again marked the template with an arrow to mark the direction of the damaged piece.

The template was then placed on the carpet in the back of a closet and removed from there.

I placed pieces of cool glide tape under the hole and used hot glue around the edges and and placed the donor piece back in the hole, then used a dowl to tuck any cut fibers into the glue.

Since the carpet is so short the cool glide iron would not work on the carpet alone so I put a piece of cardboard over the donor pieces and placed a cotton rag over the cardboard and that allowed the coolGlide to turn on after gettin about 1/2" betwwen the tape and glide.

Heated it for about 15 to 20 seconds then removed the glide, made sure all the edges were tucked good, then laid a weight on the carpet for about 5 Min.

When it cooled I rolled the crap out of it with a roller because the carpet I removed is in the main hall and is only about 3 months old and the donor piece is 3 months but has never been walked on.

This was my first repair and I was scared to death but after I done the first one and the guys that was cleaning the building could not find the piece I repaired it was all cake work.

First piece took me half an hour because I was in shock to be cutting into the middle of the entryway carpet but it looked so good each other piece only took about 5 Min.

thanks for all the input you all gave on this.

Larry B

Name
Larry Burrell
Just wanted to add that I have gotten 2 emails from the office I done this in and the ladies have been playing a game with it and so far out of 6 ladies only 1 has been able to find 1 of the spots I cut out.

I think I might just go mess up peoples carpet now so I can fix it..

LOL

harryhides

Name
Tony
That's great Larry.

Only one suggestion, if possible try to get some baseboard, electric outlet or heating register in the background of each picture to silence Shorty.

:mrgreen:

Larry B

Name
Larry Burrell
I didnt even think about that. I was more into a close shot.

I have a few more places to fix in this hall so I will get better shots..LOL

Cousin

Hi Larry.

For a first up, excellent result.

And if you want to eliminate that one lady that picked it, lightly dust the new patch with chalk or a bit of plaster board.

This will help disguise the area until some usage and initial fade kicks in.

You're off and running now.

(and if Shorty's right, you know we're coming after you :twisted: )

M

John Watson

Years ago at an Orcon seminar, I think the instructors name was Harry or Carl,(Not really much Hair on his head and he was their top dog instructor) introduced the Orcon Comb, He said he was teased about carring a comb in his tool box till he showed them how it was really used. Such a simple tool that can make such an impack on how your repaired section can come out.

Using a tape template almost insures the perfect fit.

Thanks for the info about using the cardboard and towel to raise the glide. I didn't relize you needed a set distance from the tape for the iron to activate the tape. Waiting for my new iron this week and have a couple of stains to section out when it arrives. I want to try the Kool Glide out compared to just using my glue gun and scrim tape.

Larry B

Name
Larry Burrell
John Watson said:

Thanks for the info about using the cardboard and towel to raise the glide. I didn't relize you needed a set distance from the tape for the iron to activate the tape. Waiting for my new iron this week and have a couple of stains to section out when it arrives. I want to try the Kool Glide out compared to just using my glue gun and scrim tape.

John I paid over $300 to get that thing and went to use it on my first repair and it wouldnt come on. There was no way I was using anything else after paying for it.

John Watson

I know what you mean Larry, I could have did this waiting repair yesterday with my glue gun, the way I have been doing them for years, but, opted to wait and try out the new toy I am getting. I have watched a couple supplier demos replacing small areas of both cut and looped pile carpets ,but, you were the first I ever heard about the spacingrequirements. Had you known it before? Do the Instruction specs explain this??

Larry B

Name
Larry Burrell
When I couldnt get the power light to stay on I started reading the trouble shooting guide. It said the carpet had to be at least 1/2" I think

Larry B

Name
Larry Burrell
Harry do you have the pro model?

I got the 100 and from what the book has in it if the tape is too close it wont turn on and thats what mine was doing so I placed the cardboard and rag on top of the carpet and it worked fine.

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
Yes I do have the Pro Model. I knew some have a glitch in them. Thats interesting. I believe you can get the chip replaced with the pro series chip. Steve Andrews should know.

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
Last month's Interlink deal on the Cool Glide must be for the 100 Model as that is what I got as well. I wasn't aware that there was more than one model till I read another recent thread. I wish I had known about it before. Any further info on a chip upgrade?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom