Commercial Carpet Sq Odor

RickL

I received a call from my largest commercial account. The problem, as he described it, was they had just installed new carpet squares in an office and the women who worked in there were complaining of an odor. So he wanted me to clean it. I got there a couple of hours after the office people had left (per request), the office was closed up and locked. When they opened the door for me there was an EXTREMELY strong odor almost like a solvent. After I cleaned the odor was masked and I had a lady who was passing by give me her opinion and she could only smell my cleaning agents. However I'm pretty sure it's going to come back once the light deodorizer wears off. (today)
I'm not sure if they have to keep the door closed all day or not but if they do I can't imagine
working there. Has anybody experienced anything like this or have any idea what or where it might be coming from?
Any suggestions on a next step? The room has very little ventilation no windows and only one return.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
I would think it's off gassing by the carpet.

Probably take at least a month to dissapate.

Just don't take any responsibility in getting rid of the odor.

Don't be the guy to blame for NOT fixing something you have no control over.

Name
Ron lippold
what about putting down a bunch of solvent based protector and seal the odor in the carpet.

I did this very thing with organic wool carpet that smelled like a barn yard no call back from very picky lady.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
The ...SMELL.. is the FLOORING ADHESIVE....(glue).... :shock:

The smell can be OVERWHELMING....it effect's many chemical sensative people... :(

You said that it was recently installed... :!:

Because of the COLD weather....the HVAC...is only making the problem WORSE.... :!:

They need to ventalate the building..... :!:

The odor will dissapate...You cleaning the carpet is NOT going to HELP... :!:

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
HARPER said:
The ...SMELL.. is the FLOORING ADHESIVE....(glue).... :shock:

The smell can be OVERWHELMING....it effect's many chemical sensative people... :(

You said that it was recently installed... :!:

Because of the COLD weather....the HVAC...is only making the problem WORSE.... :!:

They need to ventalate the building..... :!:

The odor will dissapate...You cleaning the carpet is NOT going to HELP... :!:

Agree. Ventilation is what is needed. Dilute or replace the solvent containing air with fresh outside air.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
An air scrubber with activated charcoal filter would work on that type of off gassing. It might take several days, they work slowly but it should work.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
If this comes up again, or for anyone else that may get this type of call, the first thing to do is ask if the carpet seller was informed. It's the seller's issue and they should handle it.

If the proper adhesive was used all off-gassing is essentially finished within three days if the proper "curing" procedures were followed. Turn the heat up, ventilate, heat, ventilate...

The moisture from cleaning will mask the odor until dry, but it might ease the stress for those worried about off-gassing and cleaning will give the carpet another day to cure.

PS: We cleaned an office at the request of the carpet installer because the staff couldn't stand the new carpet smell. The next day the office manager called, screaming about how we had made the problem worse. When I arrived the smell of new plastic was overwhelming, but I noticed they had new cubicle dividers, computers, phone system, photocopiers, chair pads... new plastic everywhere. I told them to open windows as the carpet was probably the smallest contributor. They told me their lease stipulated that they couldn't open windows; the building owner felt people would waste heat instead of turning down the thermostat.

I told them they could choke on the fumes or open some windows and explain it to the building owner if he asked, and then called the installer to let him know he was off the hook. We rarely clean to remove off-gassing odor anymore, but we do hang new carpet in our dry room to eliminate the problem prior to installation.

RickL

Thanks for all the replies I did tell them that cleaning wasn't going to solve the problem and that they needed to ventilate the room. I one of the ladies that works in the office told me that the vents and return (1) didn't work well and needed to fixed. I've told them get a fan for when they lock up at night and point it from one end towards the door as there is a gap
under the door but they definitely need to move the air a lot more.

D

DCS.LLC

I've had good success on a number of odors with VAPOR-TEK not sure about this one but its easy and relivley inexpansive(for you)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom