Concrete floor help/question

Name
Brad Gouveia
They want me to bid this concrete floor they are asking to clean/buff it.
IMG_8549.jpg

I never done any thing other than tile cleaning for hard surfaces. I got a Cimex to scrub and a small 12' rotary too. Would I put a striping agent down and then seal it or what would you do. Also how much would you charge 650 sqft.

Thanks,

KSL

Name
Kent
Honestly, I wouldn’t do the job. It appears that it has excessive sealer on it and the floor has excessive cracking. Even if you got it down to the concrete you would have to allow at least a day for it to be properly dried out. At best I would offer a scrub and recoat at $1.00 per sq/ft.

scotty747

Forget the Cimex. Use your rotary. Suck up the slop and then final rinse with vinegar. Go to Home Depot. One coat sealer, two coats finish. It sucks waiting for wax to dry but there's a noticeable difference in appearance between one and three coats. Don't use a fan to help dry if you think theres dust anywhere in the room or you'll have a furry floor.

Reactions: Mikey P and KSL

KSL

Name
Kent
Can you please define the difference

If there is already a "finish" present, how does a sealer do it's thing

when you are dealing with a porous surface the sealer will fill in the surface so a finish will bond better. Without the sealer the finish will be sucked into the concrete like a sponge. If it is not going to be maintained I would just go with two coats of seal. The finish will provide a higher shine but is not durable without maintenance.

Reactions: scotty747

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
175 with a red pad, neutral cleaner, mop it dry and apply 1-2 coats of vct finish like Mikeys says. It will be cleaner and shinier. Don't attempt to strip unless you know what you are doing.

Reactions: Mikey P

KSL

Name
Kent
I would want to clarify with the customer what “clean” means to them. Depending on the topical on the floor now, if it’s finish it will most likely be down to the concrete under those mats. If they just want a quick hit, do it Mikey and Ron’s way.

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
You treat that floor just like vct. Finish or no finish on it. If it has finish (sacrificial) on it, you want it off. If it doesn’t have, you want it stripped and then put sacrificial finish on it. Vct finish. You can not hurt that floor.

clean image

Name
Carl Maddock
I would NOT recommend a VCT finish. Too soft. Better options

I would recommend a 2 component sealer or at least one rated for durability

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
This concrete has been polished with diamond pads. I thought you didn't need any sealer due to the process that was used to polish it with those diamond pads

scotty747

Iv used my burnisher on polished concrete. Good results but the floor was in good shape too.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
This concrete has been polished with diamond pads. I thought you didn't need any sealer due to the process that was used to polish it with those diamond pads
Only a topical will protect concrete from acid damage. Unless you're certain there's a topical sealer and not just a gunk polish, I wouldn't go wild with anything acidic.

Might be worth asking if they know what's on it now.

Name
Brad Gouveia
Only a topical will protect concrete from acid damage. Unless you're certain there's a topical sealer and not just a gunk polish, I wouldn't go wild with anything acidic.

Might be worth asking if they know what's on it now.
They don't know what on it.

They just asked me to clean and polish it. I been doing everything else for them there carpets, cubicles, chairs, and even windows. So I wanted to see if I should/could do this too.

I appreciate everyone's help and input. I am thinking I am going to go with a red pad, neutral cleaner, mop it dry and apply 1-2 coats of vct finish like Mikeys and Ron say unless I here something better for advice.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
They don't know what on it.

They just asked me to clean and polish it. I been doing everything else for them there carpets, cubicles, chairs, and even windows. So I wanted to see if I should/could do this too.

I appreciate everyone's help and input. I am thinking I am going to go with a red pad, neutral cleaner, mop it dry and apply 1-2 coats of vct finish like Mikeys and Ron say unless I here something better for advice.
That will probably work for now. Eventually it will need to be stripped and refinished. Good time to start learning how, as well as how to price it when it comes due.

Name
Brad Gouveia
Is this what you guys are talking about for finish?

#1 1 Gal. High-Traffic Floor Polish1 Gal. High-Traffic Floor Polish #2 1 Gal. Wet-Look Floor Polish

And which one of these should use? I am thinking #1 as the other one (#2) says to burnish it when I get done doing 4 coats.

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
Lordy, I don’t know how you can tell how that floor has been polished from the pic? Diamond polished is usually shinier. I use twister pads on those with a propane buffer. If it’s an acid stain floor, we treat them like vct. Keep in mind, time is always an essence usually.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Not a fan of the zep products but it will work. The wet look is too shiny in my opinion. Any vct finish will do. Just make sure before you do anything, that the original finish is still in good shape, with no peeling or excessive yellowing. Ideally, the floor should be stripped and sealed with concrete sealer but if they're just looking for a little cleaner and a little shinier, go ahead with your plan.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom