Concrete subfloors

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
What are you repair guys using to nail down tac strip to concrete sub-flooring? We have mostly wood here but I run across concrete occasionally.

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
Charlie;

For good concrete I would use a 5/8" stubby 10 ga. concrete nail.

It's a little thicker than the std. nails in tackless.

They need to be driven in two strokes ! 1st to penetrate & second to drive.

Acoustical concrete takes a much longer nail (start with 1" and up).

http://www.cobbcarpet.com/zen/index...229a411b6477a6fd81e0868&keyword=concrete+nail

Larry

I usually encounter cement in basements that were built in 1910. The nails are impossible to hammer in.

I was looking at the ramsets. I've never used one.

Name
Lee Stockwell
Double row tackless with special adhesive made for concrete.

The ramset (22cal bullet) works better in newer concrete with less gravel and stones.

Name
Lee Stockwell
Glue is messy and takes too long to set up. The Roberts driving bar is the shiznit for nailing concrete.
My oldest son, Jeremy, had it down to an art. NOT messy if you know what you are doing, and sets pretty quickly.

In the time someone flogs away on their knees busting crap out of the floor to get nails set he could get three rooms ready.

By the time the strip is laid, pad installed, and carpet trimmed for stretch in, the grip was great...and gets tougher with time.

Not knocking nails, sometimes they work great, but when they don't the adhesive option is a lifesaver.

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
Lots of concrete floors here. Ramset. You need to have a few different charges and nail lengths with you for varying concrete hardness and flakiness. A nail and charge that is perfect for one floor will blow through the strip or chip another floor.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom