Conisdering the weight we carry..

Mikey P

Administrator
How often do you need a break job?

I just did my first on my V with 51450 miles on it.
Fronts and rears were equally worn.

TimP

Re: Conisdering the wieght we carry..

Mikey P said:

I just did my first on my V with 514500 miles on it.

You mean to tell me you have a half a million miles on that vortex already????

As far as my cars I've never put brakes on anything yet. My 03 accord has 105k miles on it and don't need em yet. Very little city driving will do that for you. My 2000 accord I took in cause I figured at 80k miles it was sure to need brakes.....they said I used maybe half of the pads and adjusted the rear brakes and cleaned them supposedly.....

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
well i dont remember the mileage...BUT

I had to do it after 1 job once.....does that count?? Rotors to...... :x :x :x :x

Did a job at a ski resort once, before they opened, was when i had my big 1 ton truck and 14x7 trailer...

on the way home, and it is one nasty grade lasts for about 8 miles.....hell i had it in 1st and even granny gear....trying to stay off the breaks, tapping a little here and there...but this road was a curvy as a playboy bunny :lol: .

about half way down, i start noticing some "sparking" by the trailer...So i think its the trailer chain, so i get out to look at it...and guess what i find?????

Rotors are GLOWING red, and the "sparking" was the pad and other "stuff" under there MELTING off and falling....

So i had to granny this thing down the other 4 miles...plus another 15 miles of canyon driving and 30 more miles home, with welllll...not very much brakes.... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I am at 85500...

I did the fronts around ....81000

and the rears ...around 83000

G

My GMC Butler has 89k on it and I'm on my 3rd set of tires and they tell me the brakes still look fine!

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
Steve Lillard said:
My GMC Butler has 89k on it and I'm on my 3rd set of tires and they tell me the brakes still look fine!

Same here with my Chevy WM, 62000 mi 3rd set o tires, brakes are still fine. Give em 10 car lengths ahead and anticipate lights.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
brake changes can vary with drivers and terrain traveled , obviously

well over 60K on the front pads
(I get that w/tires too if I rotate like I'm s'posed to)

If i recall right, I changed the front pads around 70K

I changed the rear pads at 90K or there abouts.
Wouldn't of had to do it then, but had a caliper hanging up that caused one inside pad to wear prematurely

..L.T.A.

Walt

about 40 k on my V before it needed brakes. And I had a smaller fresh water tank???? I must be lousy driver.

Chris A

Name
Chris
I dunno about brakes specifically, but my 98 Chevy One Ton with 80,000 mi has a front end that's completely fried. Steering Box, tie rod ends, struts, bushings, ball joints, etc. PTO's put out that kind of stress though.

Numero Uno

Name
Caesar
every 3 months (front/rears) .I run syn fluid too for brake lines,think it is or equivalent to dot5 ,i dunno just woke,where coffee...

John Watson

140,000 miles, front pads and rear shoes, rears were about 50% but since we already pulled the axles and drums why not. Replaced front rotors and turned rear drums. We also changed the front original shocks.

This was in a 10 year old E350 stretch that was a 2 year old lease return with 63,000 miles on it when we got it in 99 and has a 120 gal fresh water tank and seems like is stuffed to the max at all times. Plus it carries me!!.

TimM

Supportive Member
Name
Tim Magaw
floorguy said:

I had to do it after 1 job once.....does that count?? Rotors to...... :x :x :x :x

Did a job at a ski resort once, before they opened, was when i had my big 1 ton truck and 14x7 trailer...

on the way home, and it is one nasty grade lasts for about 8 miles.....hell i had it in 1st and even granny gear....trying to stay off the breaks, tapping a little here and there...but this road was a curvy as a playboy bunny :lol: .

about half way down, i start noticing some "sparking" by the trailer...So i think its the trailer chain, so i get out to look at it...and guess what i find?????

Rotors are GLOWING red, and the "sparking" was the pad and other "stuff" under there MELTING off and falling....

So i had to granny this thing down the other 4 miles...plus another 15 miles of canyon driving and 30 more miles home, with welllll...not very much brakes.... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
That must have been Powder Mountain right?

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
TimM said:
floorguy said:

Howd you know :wink: :wink:

Mike Draper

Powder mtn has to be one of the worst canyons. I couldn't even imagine driving my butler up that with a full tank of water, or going down.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
yeah, just imagine pulling/getting pushed this...

000_0020.jpg

000_0016.jpg

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
come on Doug, you need a trailor for that :lol:

I can fit a 20" nobles auto scrubber, 17" rotary, 2 21" propane buffers if I fold the handle, stripper & rinse buckets, backpack vacuum and attachments
pads, doodle bug, mops, dust mop, ramp and chemicals along with 3 drieaze air movers in my Dodge Ram standard box that has a fiberglass canopy :shock:

roro

Name
Ross Craig
Mikey P said:
I just did my first on my V with 51450 miles on it.

Manual or auto gearbox -
if it's manual fire the driver :roll:

roro

TimM

Supportive Member
Name
Tim Magaw
floorguy said:
TimM said:
floorguy said:

Howd you know :wink: :wink:
Driven that road many of times.....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom