Connectors

Couple of basic questions , When I have problems attaching different tools to my solution hoses. I just replace the female or male quick connects. I just buy new ones, replace and throw away the old ones. Is this what everybody is doing? Or should I lubricate these with wd 40? Also the on off quick connect at the end of the solution line. Seems like it will start leaking in 3 months. So I just buy new and replace. I have been doing this for years. Is this what everybody does, or is it just me, cause I am not very good with tools. I buy them all the time, just can't use them. Thanks Ron

John Watson

We were doing the same, if not more Ron, till my son got off the truck. Helen and I have replaced 0 males and 2 females in 5 years. We are just more carefull with them. When they are hot, banging them down can put a flat spot on them..

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Ron,

Use an elastomer compatible lubricant, rather than WD-40 on your disconnect o-rings and poppet seals. Not only do o-ring lubricants lubricate without breaking down the elastomer(synthetic rubber, ie. Viton, Buna, etc), but it also lasts much longer by sticking to the o-ring better.

Examples are:
Superlube by Synco
Lube-O-Seal by Huskey
O-ring Lube by Parker

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
ronald pantelas said:
Couple of basic questions , When I have problems attaching different tools to my solution hoses. I just replace the female or male quick connects. I just buy new ones, replace and throw away the old ones. Is this what everybody is doing? Or should I lubricate these with wd 40? Also the on off quick connect at the end of the solution line. Seems like it will start leaking in 3 months. So I just buy new and replace. I have been doing this for years. Is this what everybody does, or is it just me, cause I am not very good with tools. I buy them all the time, just can't use them. Thanks Ron

On the male QC's..go with the stainless type and be done with it ..I have been using the same one for years...pretty bullet proof.........The female QC's..I use the blue isolated ones ...Mine normally last about 6 months and then I replace them...I think the key to those is not to just drop it or drag it back to the truck when you are winding your hose...I normally walk it back and then roll up the line...And it is good practice to give them a douching every now and then....

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
We use and recommend Dow Corning Hi-Temp O'Ring lube:
oringlube.jpg

It is rated up to 400°.

As Jim also stated, use the Stainless Steel male QC's to prevent the flat spots.

Larry

Raedan

Parker O-Ring lube. I change the O-rings first before I buy new QC's.

Joe

R

R W

Ron....do you use a valve at the wand? It helps to cut the pressure to switch tools. Years ago I just used my brute strength to switch tools, but it killed the connectors.

Now to find a decent inline valve that will last more than 3 months.

Greenie

How in the hell do you force a QD on a wand @ 500psi with no shut off? That is Incredible Hulk impressive there RW, stupid, but impressive.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
plumbers grease works to...for a while, then of course the chems break it down....

had a tube laying around for years that i used on something else....so i decided to try it...BAM works great...squirt a little and use your pinky to smear it around

TimP

I haven't really had problems with my quick connects. My female gets hard to put on at times and I'll spray some wd-40 on the outside moving part not on the rings to make the outer sleave move easier. I can hardly see how a male can get messed up even if the o-ring got messed up it wouldn't change a thing the way I see it. Unless you use it for the end of your solution line.

As far as a solution line valve I use one of those ones like greenie sales but with a plastic arm on it. So far they last a good while. The HM ones that came with the truck didn't last long at all.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
TimP said:
I can hardly see how a male can get messed up even if the o-ring got messed up it wouldn't change a thing the way I see it.

Timbo, take a close look at the male QD on your most used tool.
Look at the shoulder (the part that gets locked in by the female QD bearings )
after some time, you'll start to see little round indentations on the shoulder.
Those are caused by constant on and off the trigger and the "peening" effect of the ball bearings.

The constant on and off trigger (less pressure and then back to full pressure) in effect are tiny light "hammer blows" .
The bearings being much harder in the FM QD than the brass male eventually peens the brass shoulder.
Pounded long enough and it they'll actually mushroom the shoulder enough to make tool changes more difficult

..L.T.A.

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
So am I the only one that has females on the tools and a male on the solution line?

I've bought two truckmounts from two different people and this is how they both had them set up but it seems most of you are the opposite.

I've wondered before why when I've bought a new tool it comes with a male connector.

Blue Monarch

Supportive Member
Name
Dirk Wingrove
Great explanation Meat. I had the same question. Never had any problems with QD's really.

Time to change out the males with stainless I guess, 'cause it sounds like I should be having problems soon. My QD's are seriously old.

SRI Cleaning

Name
Anthony Firmani
I swapped out my males for Stainless and it is actually easier to connect. The brass ones go out of round and get damaged easier like Larry said. I was actually shocked how much easier it it to connect now. I think my brass ones were all banged up from dropping on the ground.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom