Considering HX TM for next setup

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
I'm a "ticking" time bomb at the moment w/ my current TM due to the fact that my only 2 closest shops in the area will NOT work on it. The local interlink shop told me a while back that they will only work on truckmounts that their company sells and the other shop who sells different units cost me hundreds and could not fix my TNT when I needed a new engine, pump, and wiring fixed, they charged me for the work, but I still had to drive 4 hours down south to get it fixed the correct way by Sunbelt in Raleigh. I was glad Sunbelt could fix things and get it done right, but I lost 2 days worth of work (with Sunbelt, plus over a week and half w/ the local place that kept delaying the repairs), plus a nice chunk of a repair bill and another 4 hours drive back home.

I just cannot be driving 8 hour round trips plus loss of work every time something were to happen (less issues now w/ the new motor and pump), however I need the heater replaced and my pump's psi does not stay steady when I tune it down on the uploader valve. I was told I have an air leak somewhere, when I turn the dial it won't show on the gauge the pressure going up or down, I have to go back in the home, press the trigger and than the needle will jump to whatever it think it's sat @. This is becoming an annoyance, and I have no help from the local dealers (I am not mechanically inclined is another major issue).

At this point, I am looking to see if I should purchase a HX unit new or used and this way the only local shop can give me service if something goes wrong with it. I just don't want to drive 8 hours round trip whenever something goes wrong on the machine. In the future when the truck goes out w/ the techs, it would be a total nightmare if we had to drive the truck down south every time it needed service.

I'm considering either purchasing a prochem 405 used w/ 2-5k hours on it (they got for $8-12k w/ replaced parts), or should I just throw that money into a new unit (22-28k range) going new and purchasing it locally perhaps the 870ss that Mike on here bought. I would install it in a box truck. I have not "asked" the shop, if I had the TNT and 405 or 870ss in the truck (to dual wand and have a back up), would they service both since the Prochem/SS is a TM they sell/service.

I have considered the "option" of purchasing an used Aerotech/V in the ($25-50k) range, but I'm not sure if I should stick to purchasing a pre-owned low miles box truck and purchasing the TM new. I am not mechanically inclined and do not want to keep dealing w/ problems. I would much rather take the truck(s) and cars to the local dealer even for an oil chance/maintenance, I rather they do the service and I can concentrate on the business.

Trying to find a solution to this incoming problem.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill

Last edited:

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Bill;

I agree with your choice of a simple, but reliable HX TM.

A good HX design TM IS the most reliable.

However, you are in a town where you should be able to find a competent independent TM mechanic,

to keep your unit going.

IMO, a TM should be simple enough,

that the owner could work on it , if he chooses.

That is NOT the case with a lot of the major TM manufacturers.

Accessible design minimizes maintenance costs,

regardless of who does the work.

Larry

Last edited:
Reactions: hogjowl and tmdry

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Bill;

I agree with your choice of a simple, but reliable HX TM.

A good HX design TM IS the most reliable.

However, you are in a town where you should be able to find a competent independent TM mechanic,

to keep your unit going.

IMO, a TM should be simple enough,

that the owner could work on it , if he chooses.

That is NOT the case with a lot of the major TM manufacturers.

Accessible design minimizes maintenance costs,

regardless of who does the work.

Larry

Thanks for the tip Larry.

Would be nice to find a local TM mechanic that works on the machines. My only concern is having them be reliable and not being sure if he'll be there in the future if we had other problems.

The fact that the Interlink also won't touch the machine because it's something they don't sell is a slap in the face, but what else can I do at this point? I am not having any major issues at the moment, just preparing myself if that were to happen.

hogjowl

Idiot™
Bill, what do you need a mechanic for on a TNT?

Don't make fun of the man for wanting to hire someone to work on his TM.

It could simply be a case of him being too busy to spend time working on it himself, or it could be that he is not mechanically inclined.

Either way, it's perfectly acceptable.

Reactions: tmdry

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
Have you tried sourcing a mechanic outside the carpet cleaning industry??
I would think any decent small engine mechanic would have been able to swap that engine out with no problem..
A good pressure washer repair shop could fix any pump or burner problem.
I have a large Landa/Hotsy distributor close to me with a huge repair shop and I would bet they would have no problem working on a TM a simple as a TNT.

Reactions: JeremyB

SamIam

Name
sam miller
You could always consider a 405 as aback up unit to your machine. I do like the idea of 2 units on a box truck but if one goes down they're both down.

use a trailer and have the ability to bring it still. once your judson is fixed how long tell it breaks again?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Don't make fun of the man for wanting to hire someone to work on his TM.

It could simply be a case of him being too busy to spend time working on it himself, or it could be that he is not mechanically inclined.

Either way, it's perfectly acceptable.

Thanks, both are the exact reason actually.

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Have you tried sourcing a mechanic outside the carpet cleaning industry??

not yet, I only went to the shops, and they all didn't want to work on it since it was inside the van.

I would think any decent small engine mechanic would have been able to swap that engine out with no problem..

Not around here, none will work on a machine that is bolted in a van, I know all the small engine repair shops, I went to them all trust me lol

A good pressure washer repair shop could fix any pump or burner problem.
I have a large Landa/Hotsy distributor close to me with a huge repair shop and I would bet they would have no problem working on a TM a simple as a TNT.

Just like the issues I've had in the past, the last shop I went to, which does all types of trailer setups for pw companies, flat out told me they don't mind working on the tm if it's out of the truck. The heater wasn't too much of an issue, "if" it was out of the van, they don't want to work inside of the van. All the shops around here don't, I've checked, it's a PITA. I bought an uploader valve from that PW shop, a good hour plus from where I'm at.

Replied

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
You could always consider a 405 as aback up unit to your machine. I do like the idea of 2 units on a box truck but if one goes down they're both down.

Yup, Harper has a 405 and 805 in his main truck.

I've also spoke to Les about it, and he told me a few times it's a great idea, only problem is the main reason of the local interlink not letting me service it.

use a trailer and have the ability to bring it still. once your judson is fixed how long tell it breaks again?

Hopefully not for a while, it has a new Briggs and a newer/rebuilt Cat 3cp pump, but with anything mechanical it'll need fixing at some point. I dumped almost 10 grand into my Savanna over the past 3 years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

replied

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/searc...catAbb=bbb

Maybe try reaching out to a few of these mobile guys or even post an add in the "Gigs" section. You will be surprised at how many quality mechanics troll CL looking for side work. I know because I have done it before for vehicle repairs and was BOMBARDED with offers. (Don't respond to any responses that do not include a phone number).

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/f...56434.html

Thanks Frank.

I did a search and found local guys that I'll be calling this week to see if they can do this type of work, and I can put them on my "call list" in case I have any issues in the future.

Thanks for the tip.

Last edited:

Mikey P

Administrator
With the bill, time, lost work, travel etc.. what did having the engine worked on really cost you?

may have been cheaper to have a lawn mower shop slap on a new one, all said and done.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
I'm fortunate here. The local distributor doesn't really care what make the TM is, plus I've a small engine repair shop that replaced my Kohler (they were the local Kohler dealer listed on their site) and there is a local pressure washer repairman that can work on both the engine and the pump. Weird they would refuse to work on an engine just because its bolted in a truck.
I wasn't that mechanically inclined till I bought my Big Red. I learned how to do a lot of the basic work. Take it to a shop when it got beyond my skills.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
I was in now WAY making fun of bill. We have spoken many times and he should know that was not the purpose of the post.

My question was if he feels the need for a mechanic for the motor, pump or blower?

A local lawn mower place, especially during the winter would resolve any issue With the motor quickly. If something is wrong with the motor it only cost 1500 the blower is another 1500 and the pump 400.

Now the little giant should be maintain with the videos that les put up.

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
With the bill, time, lost work, travel etc.. what did having the engine worked on really cost you?

may have been cheaper to have a lawn mower shop slap on a new one, all said and done.

As I mentioned above, lawn mower shops and pressure washing shops here will not work on truckmounts that are bolted inside the van. I have gone to all of them in a hour plus radius, they get pissed and have a shitty attitude as soon as they see the TM mounted in the van. Apparently a lot of carpet cleaners have done that over the years it seems, most told me I was not the only one asking them to work in carpet cleaning vans.

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
I was in now WAY making fun of bill. We have spoken many times and he should know that was not the purpose of the post.

My question was if he feels the need for a mechanic for the motor, pump or blower?

A local lawn mower place, especially during the winter would resolve any issue With the motor quickly. If something is wrong with the motor it only cost 1500 the blower is another 1500 and the pump 400.

Now the little giant should be maintain with the videos that les put up.

It's cool Mike, no worries man.

The lawn mower places here are a bitch and half, I had 2 that did some work on the briggs, but later on told me they won't do it anymore, because of the issue stated above. It's stupid, but they won't touch it.

I bought a new motor and a new cat pump and had one of the shops put it in, the shop wired the pump wrong and a new clutch, I wasted $800 bucks for a days work in just one day and they still couldn't get it to work right. They had all types of HX's units but couldn't put the motor and pump back together. It was a nightmare, and I will never go back there again. There's another shop (interlink), but they said they will only work on machines they sell.

I had the little giant cleaned up by sunbelt usa, they cleaned up the jets, put a new regulator and thermostat, new lines, it ran like a champ for 2 days, than the coil blew, that was $400 parts/labor, and now I need a new coil.

Check your pm's Mike.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
You should of just called me I could of walked you through most of that on the phone.

I get that you don't want to spend time working on your equipment and rather spend it making money, but I tellost guys that they should have a little mechanical experience with their machine in order to, at least bandaid a fix, to finish up a job in the event of a malfunction or breakdown

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
I understand.

I had a fire in my van due to the oil from the briggs splashing everywhere from the headgasket, it got on the rubber fuel line propane hose (I didn't know), went to do a job, I was getting no heat, went to the truck the pilot light was off, got it back on, picked up my stair tool and as soon as I did one step, I smelled burning, looked outside, the side door was in black smoke and flames coming out, I quickly turned off the little giant, than run on the other side and turned off the tank, ran in the house n got the client's bucket and put the fire off. After that I didn't want to do any work on the van myself...

2 weeks before that I had my own fire in my own home, I also caught that fire b4 it burned the house down, fire dept found the fire in the furnace/attic by breaking a hole in the ceiling drywall, smoked went to every single room and cranny of the house, everything smelled like fire, I was able to clean it, but could not live in the house, was just lucky nothing happened to me and my business equip, took me 3 months to find that house which I was planning to purchase this summer, landlord told me she wished the house burned down.

John G

Come on Andy, you can do better than that, 2 guys have replaced Vortex's, where did you get the EVERYONE is BS?
Oh, a LOT of guys have sold off their TM"S but only 2 were V's.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom