Contractors license?

SamIam

Name
sam miller
So @Desk Jockey do you have one? And my mother in laws mortgage company on the smoke damage clean up won’t release any money unless the restoration company has a contractors license?

Have you heard of this?

I could see certified in models and fire restoration! But a actual contractors license?

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Some states require the contractor license if the value of the work is above a certain amount. When I was doing water, fire, smoke work in Tennessee, we needed a contractors license if the work was over $3,000 and affected any part of the structure. So, for example, I could clean $3001 worth of upholstery with no license, but if I extracted water from carpet, washed walls and such needed a license over $3,000.

I did get a GC license and held that for 5 years. Did some construction and remodeling work. A big mistake.

Reactions: SamIam

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Sam, you're asking a guy in Texas. You don't need a license for anything there. In Oklahoma it's possible to build an entire house without a contractors license.

This is what bothers me about living in this communist state of California. We can't do anything without major regulation. I hate it when I ask a question about something and get answers from people in Kansas. I need California answers. In this state we can't do anything over $500 to a home without a contractors license. This is why I didn't go further with the stone work or polishing concrete. We in Ca. also need a contractors license if we want to do sandblasting or pressure washing. The code is very clear on that one. I'm still trying to find out the truth on water resto stuff. I was told by one person that removing 12" of drywall and baseboards is not considered structure so its allowed to be done without a license. Also, drying in-place without removing structure is also allowed. But asking 5 different people, I get 5 different answers. If found in violation the fine is $10,000.

Last edited:

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
We can't even re-grout if its over $500.

CSLB Alerts Coachella Valley Residents that State License Required for Tile Sealing and Many Tile Cleaning Projects
Jobs involving solvents, grinding or honing often done by unlicensed individuals
SACRAMENTO – Tiles are one of the most popular flooring applications in California. When it comes to installing tiles and grout, it’s straight-forward that all jobs that total $500 or more (labor and materials) must be done by a contractor licensed by the Contractors State License Board (CSLB). But consumers may not be aware that a license is also needed for tile or grout cleaning, the application of sealants, polishing, grinding, and honing of tile if the job totals $500 or more (labor and materials). These services often include the use of acid-based products that can damage tiles and grout if used improperly.
The only exception is when the cleaning involves soap-based solutions or its equivalent, or if the sealing is similar to the application of wax (such as that applied over resilient flooring or wood flooring). These types of activities are considered janitorial in nature, and therefore don’t require a contractor license.
To take on these larger tile sealing and cleaning jobs, individuals must hold either a C-54 Ceramic and Mosaic Tile Contractor license, or a C-61 Limited Specialty License/D-64 Non Specialized Contractor license, issued by CSLB.
“It’s not uncommon for unlicensed contractors to take on this type of work, so we’re urging that consumers be aware before hiring anyone for jobs to seal, polish, grind, or hone tiles,” said CSLB Registrar David Fogt. "By using CSLB's free online tools like 'Find My Licensed Contractor' or our 'Check a License' feature, homeowners can find a licensed contractor in their area and avoid the headache of hiring someone who’s not qualified to do the work."
Earlier this fall (September 26-27, 2018) CSLB caught six suspected unlicensed contractors during a two-day undercover sting operation in Bermuda Dunes (Riverside County). That operation was conducted by CSLB and the Riverside County District Attorney’s Office in a single-family home near the Bermuda Dunes Country Club. Suspect advertisements were spotted on popular job posting and review websites, as well as through the yellow pages.
The suspects provided bids over the legal threshold at which a state license is required. The suspects could now face a misdemeanor charge of contracting without a license (Business and Professions Code (BPC) §7028). First-conviction penalties include up to six months in jail and/or up to $5,000 in fines. A second conviction carries a mandatory 90 days in jail. Penalties are more severe with successive violations.
The six also could face an additional charge for illegal advertising. Licensed contractors must display their license number in all advertisements; unlicensed contractors must state in all ads that they do not have a license. (BPC §7027.1) The penalty for violating the advertising rules for unlicensed contractors is a fine of $700 to $1,000. A seventh suspect faces a possible charge of being an unregistered home improvement salesperson (BPC §7153).
The suspects are scheduled to appear in court on January 9-10, 2018, at 7:30 am at the Riverside County Superior Court - Indio Larson Justice Center, 46-200 Oasis Street, Indio, CA 92201 (LINK).
NOTE: All suspects are presumed innocent until their case is resolved.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Here is an article put out by the CA State Licensing Board. It talks about a Santa Cruz company taking out drywall and insulation to inspect for mold. Specifically states that a C-61 or C-64 license is needed.

Don't Get Caught Going Over the Line for Restoration Services
CSLB is noticing a rise in incidents where unlicensed companies that advertise restoration or cleanup services are crossing the legal line into the kind of work that can only be done by licensed contractors.
CSLB recently cited a San Jose restoration services company for unlicensed contracting in connection with a Santa Cruz-area home cleanup, illustrating the risks of taking on remediation projects without a contractor license.
CSLB investigators had been called by a consumer who was concerned about a company's license status. A CSLB investigator discovered that a wall had been opened up and insulation torn out by the company representative trying to determine the extent of a mold problem.
That would not have been an issue had the company held a license as a "B" General Building Contractor or C-61, D-64 Non-Specialized Contractor, which allows restoration contractors to make structural alterations to a property to perform necessary inspections, removals, and repairs.
But the company was not licensed, and their representative's actions went beyond a non-invasive property cleanup, resulting in citations for unlicensed contracting and illegal advertising.
Remember, the Contractors' State License Law considers any alteration of a fixed structure – be it removal of drywall, floorboards, carpets, or walls – as work that requires a "B" General Building or C-61, D-64 license.
Unlicensed companies or individuals may perform restoration/cleanups as long as no structural work is involved, and the cost of the work and /or materials is less than $500. Given that structural remediation often calls for work beyond the surface layer to repair damage from flooding, mold, fire, or other disasters, it's advisable that companies that seek this kind of business possess a "B" General Building or C-61, D-64 contractor license and not risk violating the law.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Ya my mother in law needs a lot of cleaning and the mortgage won’t release any of the funds unless the restoration or cleaning company has a contractors license.

CJ-FL

Name
CK-FL
Our air duct cleaning trucks made by American Caddy Vac allow us to cut a 10" access hole into the plenum (the section of your duct work nearest the air handler) and hook a large truck mounted vacuum to the duct, putting the entire duct system under vacuum. That 10" access hole, that is easily patched, requires us to have a Florida HVAC Contractors license. The test was crazy long.... The test was open book (16 books that were quite literally rolled in using a pull behind cart) and consisted of two days (four 4 1/2 hour sessions). When I took it, there had to of been over 1000 in the Convention Center taking the test. Most that I spoke with had already taken and failed it 3 or 4 times. I always thought that requiring an air duct cleaner to have the same licensing as an installer was a little excessive. But hey, more govt. regulation is always better, right? :bull:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
That's way over kill. With source removal such as you are doing there really isn't a need for all that. They must be using it as a revenue stream.

It just sounds like a bureaucratic paperwork nightmare.

Reactions: Nomad74

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Same thing in Ca. You can't touch air ducts without an HVAC license. All these carpet cleaners running around doing ducts are pushing it. I did have my HVAC license but let it expire.

rick imby

Name
Rick
Gonna have to get me one of them portable gun thingys and hitchhike down to Topeka one of these days.

They call them Gun racks and most pickups in Montana in the 70s-90s had them installed at the dealer. Still legal in Montana to carry a gun in it but with the addition of back seats in most pickups not very often seen except on farms and ranches. Canadians used to have that right too.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
They call them Gun racks and most pickups in Montana in the 70s-90s had them installed at the dealer. Still legal in Montana to carry a gun in it but with the addition of back seats in most pickups not very often seen except on farms and ranches. Canadians used to have that right too.
You can still do it in rural areas up here but the gun has to be unloaded and the ammunition stored elsewhere. Makes a dandy club though.

Reactions: rick imby

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
they were more common 30-40 years ago.
(trendy redneck thing for most)
Or they were a dirtbag hillbilly poacher .
That's the major reason many states don't allow loaded long guns, while loaded handguns are perfectly legal....poachers

I'm rural, and still see window racks..but rarely a long gun in them
(see more bows hanging in them in bow season than guns in gun season)

has nothing to do with laws/regs here though.

Think it has more to do with advertising a hi-value theft target in the back window

there are punks that will smash your window if they see change in your ashtray.
I'd have to have a window seat to see my truck while eating at Big Ben's Vegun Fake Bacon n Egg Waffle Hous

...before I'd feel comfortable leaving a gun displayed behind glass in public

think about it...

..L.T.A.

Reactions: Cleanworks

rick imby

Name
Rick
they were more common 30-40 years ago.
(trendy redneck thing for most)
Or they were a dirtbag hillbilly poacher .
That's the major reason many states don't allow loaded long guns, while loaded handguns are perfectly legal....poachers

I'm rural, and still see window racks..but rarely a long gun in them
(see more bows hanging in them in bow season than guns in gun season)

has nothing to do with laws/regs here though.

Think it has more to do with advertising a hi-value theft target in the back window

there are punks that will smash your window if they see change in your ashtray.
I'd have to have a window seat to see my truck while eating at Big Ben's Vegun Fake Bacon n Egg Waffle Hous

...before I'd feel comfortable leaving a gun displayed behind glass in public

think about it...

..L.T.A.

You calling me a Dirtbag hillbilly Poacher? Just drop the poacher sh*t and I'm OK with it... I agree theft is probably the main issue for not leaving a gun in them.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
You calling me a Dirtbag hillbilly Poacher?

no..unless you are

racks were trendy redneck faq gear 30-40 years ago .
every wannabe had one
(not unlike urban cowboy kweers that made Carhart jackets a "trendy" fashion statement)...that never got their hands dirty in their life

"Mission specific" they're fine and useful
examples...cab of a farm tractor, or not enough room in pick-up for cased guns on the way to hunting grounds/camp, or riding the fence line, etc)

Otherwise, when I see a racked gun in town..
I think one of three things
hunter on their way to or from
dork
or poacher

..L.T.A.

Reactions: Cleanworks

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
My black Carhartt and bib got all muddy yesterday. I must have rubbed against the car. I went to hang them up in my closet and couldn't believe how dirty they were. They were clean when I went out. 😞

Reactions: Dolly Llama

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
I got muddy this morning. I had to strip the spare tire off the donor truck for my “new” truck. It was raining hard and I got all muddy pulling it off. Then I had to hump it to lift it into the back of my truck. I ended up cleaning myself off with foot booties I had in my glove box.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Shoi
I got muddy this morning. I had to strip the spare tire off the donor truck for my “new” truck. It was raining hard and I got all muddy pulling it off. Then I had to hump it to lift it into the back of my truck. I ended up cleaning myself off with foot booties I had in my glove box.
Should of just went and stood in the rain .

• Haha
Reactions: Nomad74

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom