Convert Smoking Hotel Room to Non-Smoking

PCCN

I have a customer who wants to change 16 hotel rooms from smoking to non-smoking. Of course they want it done "immediately" and with little cost. (No surprise there). Does anyone have suggestions on a good way to do this, with postive results, without taking the time to place an ozone machine in the room afterward? Housekeeping will take care of all the linens, wall cleaning, etc. They want us to clean the carpet, sofa, 2 chairs, and ottoman in each room.

Ray Burnfield

Supportive Member
Name
Ray Burnfield
My customers have had good results with Unsmoke Thermo 55 TABAC. You fog in in with a Thermo-Gen or Electro-gen fogger. Close doors and windows for 30 minutes then air it out.

Reactions: Mikey P

Buck1955

Name
John
Unsmoke sells a product just for that called 9D9. Spray on items, add to cleaning agents. I would also suggest the ozone, especially for the HVAC.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
The chemicals that have been suggested are good and will work well. Here is my concern on the whole deal:
Housekeeping will take care of all the linens, wall cleaning, etc.
In-house employees are notoriously lax re: detailed cleaning/residue removal. And yes, ALL the tobacco residue has to be removed or your efforts will be for naught. So I would either a)insist on doing the entire job and charging as if for a fire loss (which probably won't fly due to an astronomically high bill or b)distance myself from the end result by saying,

"OK, we will clean the textile surfaces and there will be NO smoke odor off-gassing from these items. However, we can't guarantee the overall results without supervising all the work. So that will be the hotel's responsibility."

NOTE: If you go this way be prepared for them STILL to be unhappy with the end result. People are famous for hearing what they want to hear no matter how much you qualify things in writing!

Steve

PS Is there a separate (non-contaminated) area in the hotel where you can clean the movable textile items? This way a hotel representative can give them the "sniff test" and approve them before moving the items back into a possibly still contaminated environment. (I would also clean and deodorize the mattresses.)

NOTE: Before doing all 16 rooms you might do one room (and charge for it) as a test including seeing what results housekeeping comes up with.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I agree with Steve
It's unlikely housekeeping will do a great job.

and contingent on how bad ciggy smoke contaminated the rooms are, it's unlikely YOU'LL be able to remove all the smoke odors from carpet and fabric without ozone follow-up

but I'll defer to Chavez if he knows different

..L.T.A.

PCCN

VERY good info guys! Definitely will help out when I see them this week. I totally agree that their staff will "run through" their cleaning portion. (Hey, what can one expect when housekeepers clean 4 rooms an hour on the average.) THANKS!

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
A few years ago I stayed a night in a motel in Wyoming and the room was supposed to be no smoking.
Well it did smell like smoke and it was apparent that the head house keeper used some of the products mentioned.
They are just cover ups in my opinion.
But anyways when I told the innkeeper that it still smelled like smoke the head house keeper came to the room and disagreed with me.
I said yes it does and she argued that it was a NON smoking room.

But anyways she huffed and puffed , went away and came back with a OZONE machine.

She wanted to put that in the room while we were there!

She didn't believe me when I told her OZONE was a dangerous gas and not to be breathed in.

Lot's of stupid people out there.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Well Mikey it was a vacation and it will be in my up coming Book that I'm writing about my life.

The movie rights are being discussed right now.

I'm trying to get a look a like like Brad Pitt to be in the starring role.

And I don't know if the studio will allow all of the small animal killings and multilations that were always so important in my life.

And just to build interest in the movie the trailer will have a scene of KoKO the Karpet Klown .

A brief scene of me mocking Harold Wheelwrite is also on there.

But don't expect any SATAN footage...............

PCCN

How dare you question a "professional housekeeper"? :confused: They would never lie to you, much less put you in harm's way with a dangerous machine in your room while you are sleeping. She was just trying to clean out your lungs for you.

I totally agree Ozone after cleaning is the only sure way to make sure it is odor free and will only take the work if they agree to aloow me to use it, and of course pay for it.

BradD

Supportive Member
Name
Brad Duncan
My customers have had good results with Unsmoke Thermo 55 TABAC. You fog in in with a Thermo-Gen or Electro-gen fogger. Close doors and windows for 30 minutes then air it out.

The Unsmoke is the way to go. Make sure you run the rooms A/C unit for a few minutes after the initial fogging, Then you may want to hit the room once again.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Tabac Attack works well. I would also suggest Vaportek's SOS (Smoke Odor Solution). Unlike Ozone this can be used while you and your crew are cleaning the rooms. So it can start to work immediately upon arrival at the job site.

carpetcleaner

Name
Rob Litwin
I bought a house that smelled like smoke. The carpet was replaced, tile/grout cleaned, new counter tops, cleaned every surface, fogged Smoke Out from Havard Chemical through the HVAC, primed and painted all walls and ceilings, replaced every light fixture/bulb and ceiling fan. There was still a faint smoke smell on certain days. I ran an ozone machine for 48hrs, the smoke odor has been 100% removed for months.

While researching how to get rid of the smoke smell, I found that the most over looked sources of odor were the windows, light bulbs, and tile.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
I walked into a very smoked up rental today. That tenants decided to eat the deposit instead of cleaning the carpet. I was only going to charge $400 to get the carpet back to the original color instead of yellow /brown smoke color.( It was light blue)I didn't even get into attempting to deodorize it. I did call the rental company to give then a heads up. I only see ones this bad every decade or so and usually when the tenant is in to hospital and the relatives are appalled to see how they were living. I always wonder if the carpet and surfaces are covered to where you can't even see the carpet color. (Except where chair legs were.) How about their lungs??

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom