Converting Sole Proprietorship to LLC, & S-Corp

Thecrew

Name
Stephanie Barber
Seeking feedback on Pro's & Con's

Why would a small business convert?
My accountant thinks we should do this for the 2021 year
I'm plan on hiring 2 new employee's this year, IF that makes a difference in your feedback
Accountant says we will pay less in taxes but how is that possible?
Concerned about doing this....

Thanks so much :)

Fat Mike

Name
Mike G
Seeking feedback on Pro's & Con's

Why would a small business convert?
My accountant thinks we should do this for the 2021 year
I'm plan on hiring 2 new employee's this year, IF that makes a difference in your feedback
Accountant says we will pay less in taxes but how is that possible?
Concerned about doing this....

Thanks so much :)
Llc is to remove liability from you personally and put it on the business.

if it’s a single member llc you’ll still file as sol prop. hence the scorp. Like Fred said you didn’t ask your cpa?

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
It's better to have a Trust instead of a Will when you die, according to my Tax advisor.
An LLC avoids Probate court with the distribution of your asset after you die.
I pay an extra $800/year in taxes to have a Trust in California, AND extra to have my taxes prepared by my CPA.
My CPA thinks I didn't need a Trust.
My Tax advisor thinks my CPA is an Idiot.

Tax Rules and Tax Advice varies from State to State-- SO ASK YOUR CPA and not people from a variety of States.

Reactions: Fat Mike

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
As an officer of the Corp a portion of your income can also be received through dividends, which the Corp pays the taxes on.

There are many advantages along with the corporate shield Mike mentioned.

Your accountant didn't go over them with you?

Reactions: Fat Mike

Thecrew

Name
Stephanie Barber
Llc is to remove liability from you personally and put it on the business.

if it’s a single member llc you’ll still file as sol prop. hence the scorp. Like Fred said you didn’t ask your cpa?

Well I came here to ask questions to get ideas of what to ask when we speak over the phone today. This was just something he mentioned in an email to me and since I'm not an accountant or a tax lawyer I figured I'd ask some of those that might have been in a similar situation while I was waiting for the phone conversation. I guess this isn't the place for those sort of questions though. I'll be sure to remember the comments here in future post.

Happy Holidays

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
You do have hold an annual meeting and keep good notes in your corporate book.

For us all stockholders were family and meetings took place regularly anyway. Whenever it was anything that merited being in there we just wrote it up and stuck it in.

Fat Mike

Name
Mike G
Well I came here to ask questions to get ideas of what to ask when we speak over the phone today. This was just something he mentioned in an email to me and since I'm not an accountant or a tax lawyer I figured I'd ask some of those that might have been in a similar situation while I was waiting for the phone conversation. I guess this isn't the place for those sort of questions though. I'll be sure to remember the comments here in future post.

Happy Holidays
But your op states you had a convo with your cpa. That’s the time to ask her/him questions. If your cpa isn’t willing to teach you hire another one

Thecrew

Name
Stephanie Barber
It was more profitable for my lawyer and CPA than it was for me.

PITA paperwork

So it's not really worth the headache. Gotcha! I told him there's no way the government ISN'T getting their greedy hands on the dollars we make so what's the catch? He said, if I convert then I won't pay self employment taxes which is the biggest incentive for my business. I'm no accountant or for that matter a lawyer and I've been burned by a previous accountant and we only hired this guy last year so ya I'm just trying to determine what's best for my business and so my thought on posting the question here was simply to get feedback from others that have been through it so THANK YOU for the feedback. I appreciate your time.

Happy Holidays!

Reactions: Cleanworks

Fat Mike

Name
Mike G
So it's not really worth the headache. Gotcha! I told him there's no way the government ISN'T getting their greedy hands on the dollars we make so what's the catch? He said, if I convert then I won't pay self employment taxes which is the biggest incentive for my business. I'm no accountant or for that matter a lawyer and I've been burned by a previous accountant and we only hired this guy last year so ya I'm just trying to determine what's best for my business and so my thought on posting the question here was simply to get feedback from others that have been through it so THANK YOU for the feedback. I appreciate your time.

Happy Holidays!
Talk to a lawyer also. It’s not just tax liability but your personal liabilities. That also depends on actual revenues you bring in. I’d hate for one of my businesses to cause me to lose personal assets

Reactions: Thecrew

Ron K

From what I’ve been told, it’s very easy for attorneys to “pierce the corporate veil” and make your personal protection useless.
I agree Insurance is what protects you.
If it's an accident .....Insurance protects you.
If it's malicious you're getting sued.

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
I waded through all that😏 well some.🤦🏻 First of all, LISTEN to you accountant, he telling you straight. The S Corp will save you thousands, if you make that much in self employment tax. Everything funnels through the Corp. and you pay tax on profit. You’re able to expense more off as an S Corp. DO IT!!!!!!!

Reactions: Thecrew

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
:laura2: whatever floats your boat....
Did someone mention boats?

My company is an LLC. I get asked all the time if I am a franchise owner, until they see my FUV.
Self employment is a snap at tax season. An LLC or Corporation is stupidly confusing, so I pay a local firm to track the numbers and do my business taxes. It costs more than I save in personal taxes but it also gets done properly, on time and saves me hundreds of hours of hateful bookkeeping.
You may be able to do the incorporation paperwork on Legal Zoom.

Now about those boats...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom