cool cuffs

G

i just got my cool cuffs last week i put them on the tightest i could and some of them leak some air what can i do use some rtv sealer or wrap the end of the hose with teflon tape any one have this problem thanks scott

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
I would direct you to the CoolCuffs website but it seems to be down right now. Joe mentioned you should use Marine Goop I believe. I never have because I don't want to fight with the glue when I have to remove the cuff, although I'm sure it's not that big of a deal. In any event I too listen to the hiss, but it's not so prevelant when under full vac load.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
We use "Gorilla Glue". Works fantastic.

Granted, it does make it a "Glued cuff", for which you will lose 2" of hose if you ever need to remove the cuff for replacement, but the positive trade-off is that there is no leak, and it IS a permanent fix.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Shawn Forsythe said:
We use "Gorilla Glue". Works fantastic.

Granted, it does make it a "Glued cuff", for which you will lose 2" of hose if you ever need to remove the cuff for replacement, but the positive trade-off is that there is no leak, and it IS a permanent fix.

Don't you lose the cuff as well?

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Brian Robison said:
Don't you lose the cuff as well?

First, you would probably only be removing it to replace the cuff. right?

Second, you can save the cuff. You simply grab the terminal end of the coil with pliers and pull (real hard). The hose coil comes out in a long string. Then you have to use a pick to scrape out the remnants of glue. The glue dries rather hard an brittle and comes out in little shards. ( I have done it)

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
cool%20cuffs%202%20in.jpg

lesterj2

that thing looks kinda bulky... is there anything wrong with the ones that slide into the vac.hose besides you have to duct tape the thing to make it stay together... :wink:

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
lesterj2 said:
that thing looks kinda bulky... is there anything wrong with the ones that slide into the vac.hose besides you have to duct tape the thing to make it stay together... :wink:

If your looking for Permanent connections IE; to make 100' just shove the little ribbed connector in the hose itself.

If not, the cool cuffs are not that bulky.

I use the regular cuffs and seal them up with glue or something and just replace them when they start leaking worse...most any cuff will have some kind of a leak unless you seal it up.

lesterj2

show me those permanent connects in less than a minute... or some pics of what you are explaining...

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Damn, 3 minutes but I was in another thread.

Just stick that thing inside your vac hose and it won't come apart to easy.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Brian, that will leak big-time and is super-hack/redneck

This is what you use to permanent couple....

Permanent fitting(screwed), as opposed to a pair of barb-coupled conventional cuffs, or a set of coolcuffs
hosecuff_ah49_lg.jpg

CUFF 2" TO 2" THREADED
ILS Item No. AH49
- Threaded on both ends to fit 2" vacuum hose.
- Used in hose repairs or connecting two sections of 2"
vac hose.

Greenie

Shawn is on the money for a permanent union, I've been down the gorilla glue road, I actually preferred GOOP brand adhesive sealer, just a dab or two on the first two coils of the hose, finger smear it and spin the CC on, it will hold for about a year, and if you ever "need" to remove a cuff it's not impossible, you just need a enough sealer to keep the cuff from unscrewing, it doesn't take much.

Unless someone was referring to the swivel CC leaking...I have no solution.

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
My swivels leak and I don't think all the gorilla glue in the world would stop it and the idea of swivels helping prevent kinks in your hose is highly exaggerated as well.

It's all latched for me from now on.

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Latest spam from Joe...

John

The latest & greatest 2.5 Female is finally in hand.

If yours is/are giving you problems let me know and I will replace them.

Get back to me by return email or call me 877 926-3377.

Or if you’re havin any other problems with Cool Cuffs time to speak up.

No charge.

Joe

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Brian Robison said:
Doesn't leaking just give you better air flow? :mrgreen:

You must have attended Nick's School o' Physics

You don't need no Vac Relief valve, just use plenty of Cool Cuffs without any sealer. It's called Cool Flow. :evil:

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
the benefit of the cool cuff over the hose barbs is a larger internal diameter. The hose barbs narrow the hose, restricting air flow. The Cool Cuffs keep the internal diameter maximized, giving more airflow. The are also much easier to get on and off.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Ron Werner said:
the benefit of the cool cuff over the hose barbs is a larger internal diameter. The hose barbs narrow the hose, restricting air flow. The Cool Cuffs keep the internal diameter maximized, giving more airflow. The are also much easier to get on and off.

Crap can I get a second opinion on this?

Name
Shawn Forsythe
2" Hose Barb I.D. = 1.75"
2" CoolCuff I.D. = 2.00"

31% larger opening area on a 2" Cool Cuff (2.4 versus 3.14 square inches of orifice)

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Ok, so how much difference will it make on a 100' run?
Does the cuff leaking take away from the benefit of a bigger hole?
I don't get any leaking out of my hose barb and it looks..pretty much...like one hose...not that it matters but it matters.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Greenie called it "spare air" when you're system is plumbed well or you just have a big enough blower,that the little bit of air seeping through the cuffs has very little overall affect on performance.
Of course, always try to minimize those seeps.

BTW anyone that has seeping or breaking 2.5" swivel cuffs, Joe Bristor has the replacements, just send him an email.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom