Coolant Heat Exchangers (Powerclean)

FastEddie

From day one I have to bleed my coolant exchangers of air everyday. If not, air builds up and my engine will run hot and my coolant overflow box will overflow. I have a brand new 27HP with brand new hoses and fittings, no leaks, not a drop.

I have spoken with owners of the same machine with the same problem.
Seems like the same twin coolant X's on Victory and Freedom units.

I asked Powerclean years ago and never got a straight answer except, bleed them. What is the cause?

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
one of the reasons I didn't buy the Genesis 59, looked at it one day and it heated great, looked at it a couple of days later and it wouldn't heat

brocksdad

My step-dad i a first class hack and he has only had one problem with his genesis in 2 years and that is with the belts. He does go through a rather elaborate shut down procedure though. Were he idles it down and then bleeds off solution until it drops to a certain temperature do you do that or do you just have to shut your down at a certain RPM?

R

R W

I've only bleed my HX's on my Genesis a few times. Never got any air out of them. The only time I lost heat is when the diverter flap broke. And that was twice.....

harryhides

Name
Tony
I never had to bleed my HX's on my Genesis 59 but after 5 yrs I did change out the afterburner. Otherwise I've had very few problems.

Matt King

I bled my genesis exchangers every so often. Maybe once a month? I dunno.. It never overheated or overflowed. I just did it for good measure usually when rinsing out the wastetank. As for the cause... Apparently it's done this on your old motor and now with your new one? I don't know what to say. If you've had one apart you'll see they're pretty free flowing units. I couldn't imagine a clog of any sort. Usually an overflow is related to overheat. The coolant starts bubbling and you get air pockets that can lock up the flow of coolant through the system. Make sure the system is topped off with coolant at all times. A low coolant level can contribute to this as well. The only other thing I can think of is the Kawasaki engines don't have the water pump capacity to circulate coolant through the exchanger system very well. It's a small little pump and coolant set up on those motors. I say this only because I haven't heard of these issues with the Kohler units Powerclean makes and I didn't experience this with the 4cylinder in my Genesis either. I'll think about this some more...

FastEddie

Thanks Matt,

I was thinking the same thing about the water-pump. I think I am going to remove the HX's and relocate then closer so there will be less hose to pump thru.

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
Nooooo...

I've seen them up close and worked with / on them a few times. I think that the reason is that the flow isn't out the top of them. (If you look, they're connected by two tubes or pipes between them... one at the top and one at the bottom.) The tubes between them don't connect at the very top, but a bit below that. As a result, air can get trapped at the top and has to be bled out.

Duane

Matt King

That's the way the all their HX'ers are though. You may very well be right but why then would they work just fine with all of the other engines (Kohler,Nissan,GM) ? It seems the common denominator is the liquid cooled Kawasaki. It may be combination of both? That particular water pump system with that particular HX system... I dunno...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom