Cooling Fans Really Do Help.....

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
I installed a fan from a car radiator last week....it's about 20" diamiter and uses a separate switch. It's mounted behind the drivers seat, and blows along the back of the TM and out the back doors. Tomorrow, I will add a small 4" axial fan directed at the belts. The one fan seems to be keeping things cooler now, and a fan on the belts should really cool things down on them hot, humid days.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
Robert- I had a frame welded up and mounted 2 14" fans on my machine on the back side. I wired the fans directly to the ignition of the machine and they run whenever the machine is on. I will also turn off the machine and then turn the ignition back on to let the fans run while I wrap up my hoses to cool down the engine area. The front of the van stays nice and cool even while the machine is running.

rwcarpet said:
I installed a fan from a car radiator last week....it's about 20" diamiter and uses a separate switch. It's mounted behind the drivers seat, and blows along the back of the TM and out the back doors. Tomorrow, I will add a small 4" axial fan directed at the belts. The one fan seems to be keeping things cooler now, and a fan on the belts should really cool things down on them hot, humid days.

try this

100_3357.jpg

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Dang, where did you get that? I was looking for something to exhaust the hot air from my box truck. I ended up ordering a booster fan (650 CFM) from a hydroponic supply shop. Now I’m probably on the feds list.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Leslie Judson Jones said:
rwcarpet said:

try this

100_3357.jpg

Les....I have a roof fan, but it sticks about 3-4 inches above the roof of the van, which means that one day I will forget to put it down and rip it off on the garage door, in the dead of winter.

John Buxton

I added (2) 12" electric fans in front of the radiator on my direct drive it makes a big difference.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Bob Foster said:
ACE said:
Dang, where did you get that? I was looking for something to exhaust the hot air from my box truck. I ended up ordering a booster fan (650 CFM) from a hydroponic supply shop. Now I’m probably on the feds list.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevy-Fo ... 19c6554849

That fan on Ebay looks 'zactly like the one I'm using. I built a screen around the front of the blades to keep them from damage. If I can ever figure out how to post pics, I'll send some of my install.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
I build a box with 4' doors opposite each other just because of that problems. with both doors open the air flows.

gene

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
I found the same fan at the auto parts store. How are you wiring them up? They draw 20 amps and I’m afraid it will overload the system when I also have APO and a transfer pump running.

Bob Foster

I will try to dig up the information. Amp draw was a serious design consideration for me as my Briggs alternator only puts out about 20 amps and I needed to keep all the equipment I had running at the same time under that amount. If think mine were around 4 amps each.

I just found this online with a quick search

http://www.dhgate.com/2-x-10-electric-r ... 464ab.html

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Bob Foster said:
I will try to dig up the information. Amp draw was a serious design consideration for me as my Briggs alternator only puts out about 20 amps and I needed to keep all the equipment I had running at the same time under that amount. If think mine were around 4 amps each.

I just found this online with a quick search

http://www.dhgate.com/2-x-10-electric-r ... 464ab.html

them are little 10" fans. 80 watts, so and they pull 6.6 amps each.

I don't know anything about wiring so, I just hooked everything up to the battery, added a fuse and will hope for the best. I think I'll try to avoid running the fan and APO at the same time.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
I now have the 20" car fan across the back of the unit, plus a 4" axial fan directed at the belts. Both on separate fuses. Maybe a little overkill? But it keeps that inside cooler now.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
I've a 16" rad fan blowing across the engine located on the bottom back corner of the box
Bob Foster said:

and on the opposite corner at the top of the box (upper right in photo) another one blowing out
da31de91.jpg

I can close the box down and still keep things from overheating
both are manually controlled on the marine breaker panel at the front.
Each draws about 7amps.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I've had one installed on my Apex.
When I called Prochem, their tech guru told me that it works better to draw the air away from the machine and not blow it across.

Not sure why.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Ofer Kolton said:
When I called Prochem, their tech guru told me that it works better to draw the air away from the machine and not blow it across.

Not sure why.

The hot air is already trying to escape(higher vapor pressure always want to move to lower), blowing it at the machine is counter productive, unless you're drawing in cool air at one end of the cargo space, and exhausting it at the other to speed things along. When you exhaust the hot air, cooler air from the outside is able to take its place keeping a constant flow of cooler air around the engine and components.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Hoody said:
Ofer Kolton said:

Not sure why.

The hot air is already trying to escape(higher vapor pressure always want to move to lower), blowing it at the machine is counter productive, unless you're drawing in cool air at one end of the cargo space, and exhausting it at the other to speed things along. When you exhaust the hot air, cooler air from the outside is able to take its place keeping a constant flow of cooler air around the engine and components.

That I am doing. I draw air from the drivers side window......defineatly cooler than the machine.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
I've been meaning to post a pic of my machine with fans, so here it is. With these running, the front of the van stays cool as long as the fans are running. After I shut off the machine, I turn on the A/C.

P6200001.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom