Corner Guards For Stairs..?

Name
I'm Rick James
I KNOW I am not alone with this.. but is there an adjustable corner guards for staircases? Was thinking of just cutting one of my guards so it fits snug on those L-shaped staircases that the normal corner guard has issues with.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Bolt or attach 2 corner guards together. Have the second one wrap around and place it 12" higher than the first one. (Could be notched\slotted at the attachment point to alow adjustment for stair height differences.

Or instead of using a corner guard, use a door guard (they look like a U ) and notch one of the sides that wrap around 12" high.

Easy peasey....

Name
Lee Stockwell
I never use them. Just do NOT pull hoses unless you have a clear line of sight. Tugging hoses around corners is a killin' offense.

They are a solution to a problem you shouldn't have in the first place.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Often corner guards are used for the comfort of the client. They also provide a little USP along with the other little things that are done to seperate your company fom the pack.

If we used just what works we wouldn't need uniforms.

Corner guards are mostly for show. You really can't drag a hose up a staircase without it coming 4 feet up the wall.

Best to just carry your hose in and lay it out back to the truck. Use a bungee cord to secure it to railing or stair hook. If you want to get all fancy use a small towell.

25' hose sections are better than 50'. When you no longer need a section, have your help carry it out and wrap it up.

Better suction and less hose to deal with.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
when the vacuum hits the carpet it will snug the hose right along the stairs. i take the guards and flip them. they ride along with the hose if it comes up.

gene

Jay_wat

Supportive Member
Name
Jay Watson
GeneMiller said:
when the vacuum hits the carpet it will snug the hose right along the stairs. i take the guards and flip them. they ride along with the hose if it comes up.

gene

thats what i do myself! shows the customer you have the tools to protect their home.

I just bungee the cord at the top and bottom of the staircase and if there is no rail, wrap a towel around the hose where it sits on the corner.

Name
Lee Stockwell
I've never had a hose "snug up" or contract in use. I remember long ago some saying their hose would contract as much as 10%....crappy hose.

I carry a little velcro strap on my belt that can be used as needed to secure a hose to a rail or doorknob. Seldom need it.

When watching video of cleaners setting up I'm alarmed at some hose management techniques.

My boys HATE me using the "bull in a china shoppe" analogy to them...but they learned.

Name
I'm Rick James
You guys should dump the bungee cord and get the Velcro strap with rubber coated hook from jon don... they are around $10.

I feel its very respectful to use corner guards in a customers home and they do get noticed by customers. Sounds like they don't have those style of corner guards.. just gonna have to go custom.

Able 1

Name
Keith
Those black rubber bungie cords are better then ANY hose hook around!! I would never trust any hose hook fastening my 2.5 hose to the 5th floor.. :roll:

Able 1 said:
Those black rubber bungie cords are better then ANY hose hook around!! I would never trust any hose hook fastening my 2.5 hose to the 5th floor.. :roll:

Exactly and the last hook I bought the rubber came off in a week. The one prior to that lasted a year. Still I like the bungee.

And Gene what you say about the hose snugging up doesn't make any sense. What about when you are working your way back and the hose gets some slack in it?

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
Bungees here also, just not the black rubber ones. In respect to the L shaped staircase, I would just bungee before and ater the L to protect the corner.

Doug Cox said:
Bungees here also, just not the black rubber ones. In respect to the L shaped staircase, I would just bungee before and ater the L to protect the corner.

That's just called experience. Easier and the solution line is not sitting on the carpet.

And if there are no rails wrapping a towel around the hose too.

And I didn't notice it but the black rubber bungees are not the best choice. I like the regular rope bungees.

Jay_wat

Supportive Member
Name
Jay Watson
experience??? more like personal preference,,,,, as long as your customer feels you are taking care of their home,,,,

Name
I'm Rick James
Doug Cox said:
4-5 bungees for the cost of your 1 velcro strap , Brent. Just common sense.

What is more professional... ? do you use laundry soap for prespray? You can save a few bucks with chemicals if you do.

I would rather spend a few extra dollars using the right tool for the job. We make enough profit in this business to get the right tools for the job, bungee cords on staircases in a customers home is hackish.

The little things that we do to show respect and safety in a customers house do get noticed.

Name
BradFenstermaker
one of these days I will get a saw saw and start experimenting with the 5 gal buckets laying all over the place. Could cut in various configurations and glue rubber fuel line or something to protect the wall from cut edges.

Alot of plastic to work with for all the different corners and trim we run into. They would stack into themselves too. Hopefully if the trim isn't to thick.

Just an idear I never got to yet.

Name
Lee Stockwell
Able 1 said:

For that application, and at that height, I would definately secure the hose with engineering wire! Just to be certain.

If you don't have engineering wire in your toolbox, remember: They make coat hangers out of it.

KLNSTEC

Name
David Alonso
I have a new guard for stairs that will be coming really soon.
The guard that we made has two legs, so one will be able to be on a landing and the other on the stair.
Shoot me an e-mail and sometime next week ill send you the link to my webpage. Our webpage will be somewhat done by Monday or tuesday of next week. We hope to have the guard availible to all carpet cleaners in sep/oct

David@dukguard.com

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
can't speak for anybody else's machine but when my wand hits the carpet the hose draws back about 10' per 50 . it has a blue liner inside and wasn't cheap. maybe you just don't have the same amount of vacuum. you can put all the slack you want but on the stairs with a hook it still jumps up when that wand touches .
gene

mcatt

Name
Mike
GeneMiller said:
can't speak for anybody else's machine but when my wand hits the carpet the hose draws back about 10' per 50 . it has a blue liner inside and wasn't cheap. maybe you just don't have the same amount of vacuum. you can put all the slack you want but on the stairs with a hook it still jumps up when that wand touches .
gene

The vacuum does constrict when the wand hits the ground if you have good vac. Your correct. Also, there is a really cool tie off strap I use that works in all situation. Like without spindles, hooks, etc.. I love this thing.

Back
Top Bottom