Cotton Area Rug

Rick4Life

Hey All,

A neighbor of mine wants a cotton area rug cleaned. It has urine stains in it. I'm pretty nervous because I've never cleaned one before. Any advice on how to do this?

Thanks!

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
First tell him to expect the urine stain to be permanent because it usually is depending on how long its been there, and severe of contamination, and the kinda o dyes.

Cotton rugs are a nice addition to the décor of a home, and they can be much more comfortable than cold floors. Cleaning a cotton rug is easy; it will leave your rug looking like new. You can vacuum the rug. Catching loose dirt before it sets into the fibers is highly beneficial because it makes it much easier to clean later. Wash the rug in the washing machine if it will fit. Spot-clean stains by dipping a toothbrush in hydrogen peroxide and scrubbing until the stain is gone. You can hang the rug outside on a sunny day to kill germs and freshen the rug.

oriental rugs norwalk

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
cherryleone012 said:
Cotton rugs are a nice addition to the décor of a home, and they can be much more comfortable than cold floors. Cleaning a cotton rug is easy; it will leave your rug looking like new. You can vacuum the rug. Catching loose dirt before it sets into the fibers is highly beneficial because it makes it much easier to clean later. Wash the rug in the washing machine if it will fit. Spot-clean stains by dipping a toothbrush in hydrogen peroxide and scrubbing until the stain is gone. You can hang the rug outside on a sunny day to kill germs and freshen the rug.

oriental rugs norwalk

This sounds like it was taken from a brochure and not "Real World" experience.

Ron K

Hand Wash it . After the usual inspection. Cotton is stronger wet than when dry.

John Watson

Yu all know for sure its cotton??? Rick just said with no description or photo,s Great advice but is it for this rug?? I, myself would like to see it in a photo or at least a better description before I offered advice.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Very much depends on the construction of the rug. if it's a white flatweave you can wash it, if a thin tufted you just throw it away. If it has colors you have to be pretty careful about bleeding and color loss. If it's Mercerized (shiny) your cleaning can remove the shine.

Cotton is very absorbant so stains easily, does not hold dyes well so loses color and bleeds easily, so is a pretty poor choice for a floor covering. Flammable too.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
Bagoooooo people don't you ever read the dates on these posts.. I'm sure advice rendered is long over due. We discuessed this back in April! :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom