Cotton Area Rug

Mike J

Name
Mike Joannides
I turned down a large cotton area rug. I forget the designers name and didnt take a pic. (too busy taking pics of vac hoses,lol).

It is thin, but not paper thin, and was wondering if my Odyssey and Tops spot in my shop would be good? I didnt want to open up a can of worms in the house, end of long day, but I need to follow up and take care of this. I can get pics and info. Cleaning it with the glide in my shop HWE is the alternative. ?

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I turned down a large cotton area rug. I forget the designers name and didnt take a pic. (too busy taking pics of vac hoses,lol).

It is thin, but not paper thin, and was wondering if my Odyssey and Tops spot in my shop would be good? I didnt want to open up a can of worms in the house, end of long day, but I need to follow up and take care of this. I can get pics and info. Cleaning it with the glide in my shop HWE is the alternative. ?
Learn when to say no.

Reactions: Willy P and Mike J

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
I clean a large cotton/viscose rug yesterday with a pressure washer and my 370 TM. It's drying up nicely.
However I was trained by 3 of the best in the business.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I clean a large cotton/viscose rug yesterday with a pressure washer and my 370 TM. It's drying up nicely.
However I was trained by 3 of the best in the business.
In other words,

You washed it, not HWE'd it with just a carpet wand

Mike J

Name
Mike Joannides

After doing my first Encap on a small throw rug, I self taught myself not to try it on a thin cotton rug unless somehow tack and or clamp it down.

Also taught myself that this is a bad ass machine. Got my eyes on the Grumpy already.

Papa John

Name
John Stewart
In other words,

You washed it, not HWE'd it with just a carpet wand
🤔 I DID use a wand with my Truck-mounted carpet cleaning machine, which is a 370 SS TM, to wash the rug.
But yes Washed it instead of just "cleaned" it. I define Washing as using must more water.
After doing my first Encap on a small throw rug, I self taught myself not to try it on a thin cotton rug unless somehow tack and or clamp it down.

Encaping rugs that can be washed is Sacrilegious to us Rug Elitest/fags.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
🤔 I DID use a wand with my Truck-mounted carpet cleaning machine, which is a 370 SS TM, to wash the rug.
But yes Washed it instead of just "cleaned" it. I define Washing as using must more water.

Encaping rugs that can be washed is Sacrilegious to us Rug Elitest/fags.
So you cleaned it on site at your customer's house or in your shop?

That's what I was referring to

Papa John

Name
John Stewart
There are quite a few types of cotton rugs that we choose not to clean, and we're rug cleaners with a full shop.

Being a hero can be fun... until you get killed.
True--As I say to my clients, " I don't want to try to be a Hero and end up a Zero.

I ask if the cotton rugs have been cleaned before; If not, I inform the customer that the rugs could shrink up to 10%- so about a foot on both sides for an 8x10. I've never had this much shrinkage happen to me.

Most of the time, Cotton woven rugs are not worth the price of in-plant cleaning- so I just recommend replacement.

I once had a customer who wanted four trashed cotton woven rugs cleaned in our plant. I asked if they had any sentimental value to her, and she said no. After a little more "qualifying discussion" I informed her how to wash them correctly and "safely" in a front-loading HE washing machine; however, this was ONLY after getting her to understand that This would be a last-ditch effort to save them from the trash.
She was very appreciative of my honesty and information.

Last edited:

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
If I'm worried about shrinkage and/or curling, I'll hang them to dry with weights clamped on the ends.
I'd display a photo, but I'm in Thailand now.😎
I did have a basic drying rack but simplified it to pallets with dehus for the few rugs I clean offsite lol.

What are you doing on here if you're in Thailand??
Been a few years I must be due a revisit

Reactions: Papa John

Mike J

Name
Mike Joannides
Got a pic of an area rug from a new potential customer.
Not used to doing this by picture, I usually like to see it in person, but incorporated this pic thing recently.
Would y0u schedule this for an in house cleaning? Im thinking $125, easy.

IMG_8141.jpeg

IMG_8140.jpeg

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Got a pic of an area rug from a new potential customer.
Not used to doing this by picture, I usually like to see it in person, but incorporated this pic thing recently.
Would y0u schedule this for an in house cleaning? Im thinking $125, easy.

View attachment 124520
View attachment 124521

Browning is in your future if you HWE that with a wand

Mikey P

Administrator
It would be highly entertaining if you cleaned THAT! with TOPSPOT...

This is one if those situations where 1.0 would say " if you have to ask, DON'T TOUCH IT"

3.0 says find a real rug shop and pay real close attention to the rug portion of our class in 2.5 weeks....

Reactions: Mike J

The Great Oz

Name
bryan

Cleaning in shop HWE is best bet, after letting customer know the colors may bleed a little.

Reactions: Mike J
Name
Nate W.
Denim on upholstery or rugs is not the smartest thing to purchase.. You can clean it, but I wouldn't attempt on-location..

It will get lighter and possibly move the darker colors to the lighter colors..

Reactions: KevinL and Mike J

Mike J

Name
Mike Joannides
I replied with the risks mentioned, recommended rug washer, and not on site. Told her for $125 I would give it a cleaning after October, probably in the winter if she didnt care and just wanted to try knowing the risks. Pick up and drop off. Easier than digging clams.

Reactions: Jim Pemberton

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
I replied with the risks mentioned, recommended rug washer, and not on site. Told her for $125 I would give it a cleaning after October, probably in the winter if she didnt care and just wanted to try knowing the risks. Pick up and drop off. Easier than digging clams.
I don't pick up, wash and deliver anything for less than $150.

Reactions: Mike J and hogjowl

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom