Cotton VLM pads.. Who has the good ones..

Name
Damon
I use SuperZorbs and MicroBeasts.

Overall, I prefer the Zorbs due to the fact that they, in my opinion, are much better on dirty carpet. The pull up more dirt than any other pad I''ve ever used. Microfiber is great for sure, but I tend to use them on lightly to moderately soiled CGD or as a second pass pad after I've run a Zorb (they pick up a lot of moisture).

You'd be better off having both on board.

Also, while the $20.00 price is high, the pads do last a long time.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
I bought some of those Larry and they're great for scrubbing and lifting olefin carpet

Thanks, Sam.

The MicroFiber with scrub strips are our favorite pads.

We also have some all-cotton pads available.

Link on post #29.

Larry

Last edited:

Paul Demers

Supportive Member
Name
Paul Demers
you'd think you knew I was going to ask..lol

So why do cottons appear black when post Cimexing or post HWE and Micros not so much?

In my opinion, microfiber pads with scrub strip (MicroBeast) are very good at scrubbing and encapping, but do not absorb as much soil as cotton pads. When cleaning with low moisture, using Trinity, I will often make a first pass using a microfiber, then a second pass (and sometimes more), with Glad Pads. There is often a significant difference in carpet appearance when making a second pass with a Glad Pad than when making a second pass with a microfiber.

I wash my microfiber and Glad Pads separately. When washing the microfiber pads, the wash water usually turns light gray. The wash water cleaning the Glad Pads will turn dark grey to black, depending on how dirty the carpets were. This experience is what I base my opinion on.

I suppose that it is possible that the speed of the Trinity throws the dirt out of the microfiber material as fast as it adsorbs it, so others may get different results. And, neither Glad Pads or SuperZorb pads are 100 cotton.

I guess my point of this post is that anyone can confirm for themselves which pad absorbs more soil by using both and checking how dirty your washing machine water gets.

John G

If John had any moral compass what so ever what so ever 1 box of 20 ABSORBENT pads would be on my doorstep early next week. Gratis
I don't BUY recommendations Mikey, so don't hold your breath.

Another thing is, while microfibers do a good job of scrubbing, I never liked them on the previous machines, they didn't do nearly as well as blends, Now with the Trinity we do use them, simply because of the way they can strip a fiber at high speed while doing straight encapping, which we also didn't do with the slower machines. Finishing with a Glad is preferable because it does hold more soil, guys with the standard speed OP's would be better served with blends.

Don't take my word for it, try it... If you are not padcapping with a slow speed you are not doing your best work.

Paul Demers

Supportive Member
Name
Paul Demers
I agree with Rick that microfiber is the preferred bonnet for encapsulation cleaning in most cases.

Interlink also carries the microfiber bonnets in 17.5" and 19.5" sizes. $18.53 each for the 17.5" size. quantity discounts.
http://interlinksupply.com/index.php?item_num=AC88

Mike didn't ask what the best bonnet was for encapsulation cleaning. In a follow-up post, he mentioned post padding after Cimex or HWE.

I agree that Microfiber pads are great encap pads. They scrub well and adsorb some soil. I love my microfiber pads!!

But, with all due respect, I would like Rick, Larry, and Scot to explain what testing they conducted showing that microfiber pads adsorb more soil than cotton pads absorb. Judging carpet appearance is not a test, as many carpets can look pretty good after straight encapping, without removing any soil.

The way to test is to post pad a large job or several smaller ones, padding half of each job with microfiber and half with cotton, equally soiled areas. Need about 10 of each pad. Then wash separately and compare how dirty wash water is.

If this test is flawed or there is a different way to test, I am open to hearing it.

Reactions: Mikey P

Mikey P

Administrator
If John had any moral compass what so ever what so ever 1 box of 20 ABSORBENT pads would be on my doorstep early next week. Gratis
I don't BUY recommendations Mikey, so don't hold your breath.

Another thing is, while microfibers do a good job of scrubbing, I never liked them on the previous machines, they didn't do nearly as well as blends, Now with the Trinity we do use them, simply because of the way they can strip a fiber at high speed while doing straight encapping, which we also didn't do with the slower machines. Finishing with a Glad is preferable because it does hold more soil, guys with the standard speed OP's would be better served with blends.

Don't take my word for it, try it... If you are not padcapping with a slow speed you are not doing your best work.

More likely the cottons either won't stay on or the new velcros destroy them.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I heard the pad driver was much more aggressive and was chewing up the Glads & Combo's but with Microfibers it didn't chew them up and they also rode smoother too. (just hearsay, I don't own one)

While switching back & forth between pads sounds like PITA, you're flipping pads anyway so it's really not a big deal at all.

John G

All users know the first thing they have to do is run their brush on concrete to smooth out the surface, then the glads are fine on it, plus we don't use velcro and haven't for years.
If you don't smooth the brush it will tear up micros as well... Plus micros are not very effective on the slow machines.

encapman

Name
Rick Gelinas
The information on Wikipedia regarding Microfiber is interesting. Notice especially the section heading "Rags" (as that relates to cleaning)... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microfiber

Here's a copy & paste from Wikipedia...

Microfiber products used for consumer cleaning are generally constructed from split conjugated fibers of polyester and polyamide. Microfiber used for commercial cleaning products also includes many products constructed of 100% polyester microfiber. Fabrics made with microfibers are exceptionally soft and hold their shape well. When high-quality microfiber is combined with the right knitting process, it creates an extremely effective cleaning material. This material can hold up to eight times its weight in water. Microfiber products have exceptional ability to absorb oils, and are not hard enough to scratch even paintwork unless they have retained grit or hard particles from previous use.
Microfiber is widely used by car detailers to handle tasks such as removing wax from paintwork, quick detailing, cleaning interior, cleaning glass, and drying. Due to their fine fibers which leave no lint or dust, microfiber towels are used by car detailers and enthusiasts in a similar manner to a chamois leather.
Microfiber is used in many professional cleaning applications, for example in mops and cleaning cloths. Although microfiber mops cost more than non-microfiber mops, they may be more economical because they last longer and require less effort to use.[SUP][10][/SUP][SUP][11][/SUP]
Microfiber textiles designed for cleaning clean on a microscopic scale. According to tests using microfiber materials to clean a surface leads to reducing the number of bacteria by 99%, whereas a conventional cleaning material reduces this number only by 33%.[SUP][12][/SUP] Microfiber cleaning tools also absorb fat and grease and their electrostatic properties give them a high dust-attracting power.[SUP][citation needed][/SUP]
Microfiber cloths are used to clean photographic lenses as they absorb oily matter without being abrasive or leaving a residue, and are sold by major manufacturers such as Sinar,[SUP][13][/SUP] Nikon and Canon. Small microfiber cleaning cloths are commonly sold for cleaning computer screens and eyeglasses.
Microfiber is unsuitable for some cleaning applications as it accumulates dust, debris, and particles. Sensitive surfaces (such as all high-tech coated surfaces e.g. CRT, LCD and plasma screens) can easily be damaged by a microfiber cloth if it has picked up grit or other abrasive particles during use. One way to minimize the risk of damage to flat surfaces is to use a flat, non-rugged microfiber cloth, as these tend to be less prone to retaining grit.
Rags made of microfiber must only be washed in regular washing detergent, not oily, self-softening, soap-based detergents. Fabric softener must not be used. The oils in the softener and self-softening detergents will clog up the fibers and make them less effective until the oils are washed out.

513px-Microfiber-vs-Cotton.png

Cross sections: microfiber thread above, cotton thread below

John G

Now apply this to an oscillating machine and all that goes out the window.
Centrifugal force forces much from the microfiber pads, they are not able to hold on with the force exerted by OP.
this is nothing new that is why cotton or cotton blended pads were the staple up until recently.
All one has to do is test for themselves, compare the holdings of a microfiber which "may"get dark on one to the bleeding through of dirt to the whole pad with cotton or cotton blends.
The cotton pad can hold the soil even under extreme centrifugal force.
View attachment 4335
View attachment 4336
Only one side of these pads could be used, because the soils go completely through the pad.
Now I agree using microfiber in a hand held scenario is much more effective than cotton, however NOT true if you add the Centrifugal force.

Last edited:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
That carpet must have been nasty. While those soiled pads are certainly impressive I can't help but think that something that soiled would have benefited more from HWE. :neutral:

John G

Why would think that?
So if I see a dirty filter and black water, should I assume that carpet could have benefited from being OP'd?
because often after HWE I can still get the nasty pads..

Paul Demers

Supportive Member
Name
Paul Demers
The information on Wikipedia regarding Microfiber is interesting. Notice especially the section heading "Rags" (as that relates to cleaning)... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microfiber

Here's a copy & paste from Wikipedia...

I wash my microfiber pads and cloths in warn water (no hot) with powdered Tide, extra rinse. No fabric softener. Air fluff dry. As recommended by Paul Lucas and my own research. I have research microfiber and "read" many articles.....but my washing wash water tells the truth!

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
What not hot Paul? I think we are washing ours in hot is there a reason we shouldn't? We use a commercial washer so they are washed thoroughly.

Richard I soaked in hot hot and washed in hot and all my micros shrunk like crazy and got to small for the inside foam and started to come apart on the outer edges. Next batch I will use warm water only and see if that stops the shrinking.

Paul Demers

Supportive Member
Name
Paul Demers
What not hot Paul? I think we are washing ours in hot is there a reason we shouldn't? We use a commercial washer so they are washed thoroughly.

High heat can damage the fibers, as I understand it. 120 degrees would probably be fine, I use more like 100 degrees just to be safe. Paul Lucas also told me one night in PCN to use Tide. He said liquid laundry detergents would effect the electrostatic properties of the cloth.... but I just googled How to wash microfiber cloths and found an article that said to use liquid detergent and not powdered.... so who knows...

http://www.moonsoftcorp.com/documents/Microfiber_facts/How%20to%20Clean%20and%20Care%20for%20Microfiber%20Products.pdf

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
In my opinion, microfiber pads with scrub strip (MicroBeast) are very good at scrubbing and encapping, but do not absorb as much soil as cotton pads.

I agree, I got some new fancy style ones and they just sit. They didn't make my encap juice turn white when scrubbing like my green stripe pads or the cotton loopy ones.

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
I used PC Power Burst Flex with citric Solve and liquid tide. Even with extra rinse could not get the smell out of the first 2. I have settled on Liquid Tide and warm water.

PS that frigin hot water ruins everything LOL JK

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
I agree that Microfiber pads are great encap pads. They scrub well and adsorb some soil. I love my microfiber pads!!

But, with all due respect, I would like Rick, Larry, and Scot to explain what testing they conducted showing that microfiber pads adsorb more soil than cotton pads absorb. Judging carpet appearance is not a test, as many carpets can look pretty good after straight encapping, without removing any soil.

The way to test is to post pad a large job or several smaller ones, padding half of each job with microfiber and half with cotton, equally soiled areas. Need about 10 of each pad. Then wash separately and compare how dirty wash water is.

If this test is flawed or there is a different way to test, I am open to hearing it.

Our testing was a slightly different method for soil removal.

We cleaned an evenly soiled carpet with an orbital machine (Clark's) and used both Clark's 100% cotton and the Blue Microfiber with stripes on equal sq.ft.amounts of carpet.
View attachment 4338
Visually, the cotton looked like it absorbed more soil (darker in color).

Then we took each bonnet and wrung each out 10 times in a Rubbermaid commercial mop wringer.

After 10 wrings, we poured the dirty solution into clear PET containers.

After letting the solution settle for 24 hr,

the microfiber showed about 10% more soil in the bottom of all the clear containers.

That was my testing protocol for soil removed, although some soil did remain in the bonnets.

Larry

P.S. The main concern in washing is not to leave excess residue on the microfiber, like some powders with carbonates may do.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom